Milhouse
Thrillhouse

by William Lim USER (23 Reviews)
April 15th, 2014 | 14 replies

Review Summary: “I’ll be making Monday my new favourite day of the week”

Milhouse's presence in the Australian punk scene was brief but contrastingly impacting. There's actually very little to say about them--they came, they put out two EPs, they played a bunch of shows, made two music videos, and then they broke up--but their music was something that made every second of that brief career worth following, right up to the end at the Poison City Weekender in a room full of drunk people singing “bup bup bup budada budadada doo”. Milhouse had the charm, wit, honesty, and unstoppably smile-inducing poppiness to instantly cement themselves as artists to watch. From their Internet-culture-slamming “hit” song “TL;DR” to their farewell single release of the gut-spiller “To Hell With Disbelief”, Milhouse brilliantly packed together catchy pop punk guitar riffs, a pounding rhythm section, a surprisingly versatile approach to vocals and conversational, often chorusless lyrics documenting Tom Elder's precious little life in hilarious, thematically driven vignettes. It was a formula that--though sprinkled with little unique augmentations from song to song--went mostly unchanged throughout their eleven song discography, but was nonetheless executed with strength, avoided homogeneity like the plague, and all the while stayed 100% fun. But like I said, there's very little to say about Milhouse. Their self-described brand of simple, posi-nerd pop punk power pop indie rock seeks not to be discussed or mourned or romantically retrospected: it's meant for singing along with big smiles between your 9-to-5 life of Mondays, eggs, laundry, the Internet, metaphysics, and nutritious cereal breakfasts.

The Smith Street Band Throw Me in the RiverThe Wonder Years Suburbia I've Given You All and Now...
The World is a Beautiful Place... Audiotree Live 3.1.2014Troubled Medium WHAT ARE YOU DOING
Brave Bird T-Minus Grand GestureWaxahatchee American Weekend

fucking

yeah

Aids
April 15th 2014

I'm going to check this out based on the marvelous band name and title, but will be much more disappointed than I should be if it's not amazing.

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

Gwyn.

best

April 15th 2014

nice short review so pos. Agree with Aids this has the best album and band name ever. THRILLHO

Digging: Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

tempest--

these guys rule so hard
I don't even listen to this kind of happy pop punky kind of stuff but damn

VolcanoDay
April 15th 2014

Best band name/album name combination I've ever seen.

danielcardoso
April 15th 2014

Isn't Milhouse that guy from the Simpsons?

cableguy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZRnZB5EIVA
"When a maaaaan loves a womaaan"

April 15th 2014

"Isn't Milhouse that guy from the Simpsons?"

yeah that's the whole point

April 15th 2014

Oh Man! There other album's titled "Everything's Comin' Up Milhouse", that's so goddam awesome.

Butkuiss
April 15th 2014

I caught Dave playing at the BTDATD reunion on Sunday and it was fucking amazing. One of the most intense gigs I've ever seen played, and holy fuck was I glad to see them together again.

Dude is a top bloke and a cornerstone of the local scene.His new shit with with Van Breda as Pinch Hitter is dope too.

Props for reviewing this, Will.

dimsim3478
April 15th 2014

My pleasure, man. Pinch Hitter is way cool but I missed a bunch of chances to see 'em live.

danielito19
April 15th 2014

butkuiss what fresh hell is yr avatar