Capture the Crown
Live Life

by Dalton DuBois USER (21 Reviews)
April 14th, 2014 | 74 replies | 2,721 views

Release Date: 02/04/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Honing in on their best attributes, Capture the Crown has released an energetic and infectiously catchy EP

Capture the Crown has quite the story. Originally being called “Atlanta Take State”, the band brought in Jeffery Wellfare from “Curse at 27” and migrated to America to sell their music. Their popularity almost instantaneously took off with their video for “You Call That a Knife? This Is a Knife!” They were later signed and dropped from Sumerian Records within the same year. With “Live Life”, Capture the Crown is back on track by focusing on their best aspects; the vocals and the electronic work.

Right off the bat with the title track we notice an immediate improvement; the catchy riff is clearly pronounced and the guitar tone is nowhere near as overbearing as on their debut album. Jeffery’s vocals have improved greatly, as he’s improved his range. His gutturals and occasional pig squeals have far more impact than they did previously; he’s even taken cues from Attila, utilizing a style of speed screaming on the title track and “Bloodsuckers.” His high screams are still unfortunately underwhelming though. The clean vocals have become the star of the show, as they are far less produced and Jeffery shows off his range to much greater effect. The album’s choruses soar thanks to his strong and appealing vocal inflection, leading to an undeniably catchy performance. “When I Get Home” is easily the best track on here and is entirely composed of clean vocals, with even a few falsetto portions being utilized. The lyricism is varied and while the topics can be generic, the way they’re written is entertaining and fresh. The entertaining imagery on the title track such as “if the world is your oyster then I’ll do all I can to drain the fucking ocean and leave you high and dry in the sand” is much better than the typical "fuck you” anthem that seems to permeate throughout modern Post-Hardcore.

The instrumentals still have a good portion of the chugga-chugga that we’re all used to, but now the riffs and electronics have been put at the forefront of the mix. This isn’t to say there aren’t some catchy instrumental moments however, the guitars tend to lay down some catchy riffs or well placed breakdowns throughout the EP. The bass mostly follows along with the guitar and never ventures on its own however, which isn’t really disappointing but a pronounced bass line here or there would have been nice. The drums contribute some catchy fill work and help to speed up the pacing of each of the songs. The trance influence in the electronics is all but gone and they’ve been replaced with more straight-forward house inspired beats and bloops. They all work together to form a coherent and enjoyable experience.

In short, Capture the Crown’s EP is a solid improvement over their debut album with a few downsides, (All Hype All Night.) Hopefully with their upcoming second album they further capitalize on their strengths and vary up their songwriting just a little bit more; if they can do that, then they’ll be well on their way to writing an album that’s not just catchy and fun, but technically complex as well.

BABYMETAL BabymetalThe Relapse Symphony Shadows
Frank Sinatra Come Fly With MeHello Kitty Suicide Club ^_^
Avril Lavigne Avril LavigneFraming Hanley The Sum of Who We Are
poor
kansasboy14 (3)
Capture the Crown steps up their music showing they are better than what people think....

April 14th 2014

Wasn't satisfied with the other review on this EP, so I decided to review it myself.

Digging: There Will Be Fireworks - The Dark, Dark Bright

EvoHavok
April 14th 2014

Not my thing, but another great review from you!

April 14th 2014

Thanks Evo! Yeah, I've pretty much come to expect that almost no-one on here will enjoy what I positively review half the time.

good review man.

bet this will still annoy me.

April 14th 2014

Listen to the title track Flutter. If you don't like that you probably won't like this.

Nocturnal
April 14th 2014

Nice review Snide. Gave you a pos.

Betray
April 14th 2014

Great review Snide. CTC's live show is tits.

Excited to see what they put out now that they're on Artery.

Digging: Sylosis - Conclusion of an Age

Thanks Nocturnal!

Thanks Betray! I'm gonna go see CTC live when they drop their second album, the previews I've heard on their Facebook page seem pretty awesome so far.

good review man.

AtomicShane

ALL HYPE | ALL NITE

YoYoMancuso
April 14th 2014

Stop writing good reviews for bad albums ugh

April 14th 2014

yeah honestly its weird. it makes me not care about hating this band, cause they still suck. like hard.

Diamondize

Stop writing good reviews for bad albums ugh [2]

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

April 14th 2014

@Flutter: Thanks man! Have you listened to this?

@YoYo: I really like this EP though D:

@Diamond: Dammmiittt D: Have you checked out my BVB review yet?

April 14th 2014

havent yet, but im sure it will be a real stinker.

Diamondize
April 14th 2014

Yeah, I did dude. I pos'd. I'm actually thinking about kinda checking the album out after reading it.

April 14th 2014

@Flutter: Listen to the title track man.

@Diamond: You should man, Set the World on Fire is my favorite album.

April 14th 2014

@snide yeah? does it have frost sweeps and cheese? riffs?

April 14th 2014

@flutter: It has catchy choruses, great production, well placed electronic work and great vocal work bar the high screams.

damn.

haha, but yeah ill give it a go.