Onyx
#WakeDaFucUp

by benjamin thortenburger USER (14 Reviews)
April 9th, 2014 | 26 replies

Release Date: 03/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An exercise in testosterone, only hampered by the hashtag

It's been a long wait, but now Onyx is back, and they still are kicking *ss. Onyx is a hardcore group straight out the Upper East(NYC). Their main thing is old-school hip-hop, except more badass. What makes them so badass? I'm going to answer that with another question:how many rappers are able to remain threatening after making a Looney Tunes reference? Answer: 2:Stickyfingaz, because he's in that upper level of hardcore; and Tyler the Creator, because he's f-cking creepy.

Every song is musical thunder and the beats harken back to that old-school East-Coast feel combined with Onyx's trademark reckless energy that could wake anyone up within seconds, and the choruses, as expected, are of that fist pumping variety where Onyx as a group chants, or more appropriately, MANts with such power that Billie Joe Armstrong might actually re-grow a pair from listening to this.

However, there are problems, mainly, nobody's on the intro, which automatically makes it gay. There's also a hashtag of all things on the title. Which makes it seem like Onyx is trying to make themselves more feminine as if their testosterone will overflow and turn them into the big bulging mutation from Akira(which would be awesome). And that's legitimately about it.

All in all, this is a rare hip-hop album will make you it's b*tch, the only way it could've been manlier would be if it was from Finland. Also: it's free.

Goat CommuneRiff Worship Riff Worship

Digging: Juke FX - Juke Inside

Troll negs, gotta love 'em

HolidayKirk
April 9th 2014

That hashtag in the title is the saddest shit I've ever seen.

April 9th 2014

I know, Onyx is a hardcore hip-hop group, they have no business with hashtags

Brostep
April 9th 2014

What makes the, so badass? I'm going to answer that with another question:how many rappers are able to remain threatening after making a Looney Tunes reference? Answer: Stickyfingaz.

so wait how does he remain threatening after a looney tunes reference? it's not entirely clear from this. plus I'm sure Tyler the Creator or someone could do that and still be kinda threatening

(incomplete sentence notwithstanding obvs)

RoyalImperialGuard

WatchItExplode

SLAM!

duh duhduh

@Snide I am being 87.999% serious in this review,

the only not-so-serious part would be the one with Billie Joe Armstrong, because his future in manliness is quite uncertain.

April 9th 2014

Review was funny but I have a serious pet peeve about hashtags in music titles so I won't be listening to this.

Dylan620

Hashtags need to leave music forever. [2]

April 9th 2014

"Hashtags need to leave music forever. Unless they're used in some way that's brilliantly ironic, in which case it's (somewhat) excusable."
What's especially sad is that these guys have been active for 20 years, and haven't changed for the worse (in this album) in any sort of way, EXCEPT for that stupid hashtag

April 9th 2014

I apologize for spelling mistakes, my iPad has a horrid spell-checker which fucks with everything

April 9th 2014

Bacdafucup is amazing but this wasn't that great

April 9th 2014

It's really good for a comeback album though

Yeah that's true

Jips
April 10th 2014

I enjoyed this...

Sticky has some great lines.

"I SCREAM SO MUCH, I TYPE IN ALL CAPS, YALL COULDNT FUCK WITH ME IF I WAS WRITING YOUR RAPS!"