Life on Repeat
Blacklisted

by Daniel Davis USER (35 Reviews)
April 5th, 2014 | 11 replies

Release Date: 12/03/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sometimes, the system DOES work.

Modern post-hardcore is confusingly vague. The genre name has become almost meaningless, having been applied at points in its history to everything from crushingly heavy music to the fluffiest of pop rock. For the past four years, it's been used by labels to refer to overproduced electronic pop music with chugged guitars and screaming added in, targeted at the very sort of trend consuming kids that hardcore was originally a backlash against. Life on Repeat has unfairly been lumped in with these bands; their Warped Tour aesthetic disguises the fact that behind the trendy bull*** lies a progressive and inventively catchy band. While they've since broken up, their posthumous (of sorts) album "Blacklisted" serves as a fitting swan song for the band, exhibiting everything that works about their formula for memorable, hard-hitting music.

Although heavier songs from other bands specializing in poppy post-hardcore often fall flat, being awkward and generic, album opener "Karma Calls" shows it's more than possible to mix pummeling verses with catchy choruses and seem natural and coherent. "Forgotten" combines early 2000s metalcore sensibilities with soaring, anthemic vocals, "Vanity" goes from pseudo-technical guitar riffing to pop punk chords in instants, and "Cut Open" shows the more conventional side of the band, showcasing nothing out of the ordinary instrumentally but still being host to some of the most infectious earworms on the album. The upside to these combinations is that they all work wonderfully - the downside is that they're all based on an easily identifiable formula, making some parts feel interchangeable at times. Luckily, the album is too short and too fun for this to be a deal breaker, but it does hurt the album's longevity quite a bit.

Vocalist Patrick Purves and producer Taylor Larson seal the deal - the album sounds absolutely massive, and the vocals are pristine and polished without losing all of the emotion Patrick throws into them. While this makes them far from the bastion of post-hardcore, it proves that sometimes, lurking in the depths of all of the meaningless, talent-deprived bands signed to hardcore labels that are routinely skimmed over by a large portion of self-respecting music fans, there can be a glittering gem or two. We may never know how Life on Repeat would have further matured as a band, but at least we know that sometimes, the system DOES work.

Lower Than Atlantis Lower than atlantisDeath From Above 1979 The Physical World
Polyphia MuseSecret Band Secret Band
Braid No CoastMonuments The Amanuensis

paradox1216
April 5th 2014

I wrote this early in the morning in a short
span of time so it probably sucks, but I have
been listening to this a lot lately, it has no
review, and people need to know of it if they
don't already

Album is streaming here
:http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/album_s
tream_life_on_repeat_blacklisted?utm_source

Digging: Yellowcard - Lift a Sail

Diamondize
April 5th 2014

Good review. I remember hearing their first album and thought nothing of it. You've convinced me to give this one a shot.

paradox1216
April 5th 2014

This is miles better, I assure you. The first album was decent but unassuming

Voivod
April 5th 2014

This is not my usual cup of tea, but it sounds great.

Digging: Seduced (AT) - The Proclamation

ellagos
April 5th 2014

Feels a bit stale as the album progresses but it's definitely something I will be coming back to

Digging: Hail the Sun - Wake

Butkuiss
April 5th 2014

Thought this was a new Blacklisted album.

pepster50
April 5th 2014

I really like this album ! Good review !

whatsernam
April 5th 2014

someone finally reviewed this, sweet.

DaveyBoy
April 28th 2014

20857 Comments

Hard-hitting Maryland rockers Life on Repeat add more edge to their alt-rock/post-hardcore hybrid on 2nd LP 'Blacklisted'. Turning the heaviness factor up hasn't stunted their anthemic tendencies, with melodic hooks around every corner. Well-produced by Taylor Larsen & Brandon Paddock, the quintet race through these 10 tracks, while also providing sufficient diversity. It might not be innovative, but it's undoubtedly enjoyable. It's a real shame - & indictment on the music industry - that Life on Repeat were practically forced to break up at the time of this excellent album's release. Recommended Tracks: Forgotten, Cut Open, Sorriest Goodbye & This Conditioned Lie.

CuddlyCaucasian
May 5th 2014

I'm glad at least people here appreciate them, I still talk to Patrick every now and then and it's depressing how they were forced to break up. Equal Vision Records is just terrible at promotion.

Sharpyyy
August 8th 2014

never listened to an album more than this, this is the pinnacle of life on repeat