The Mothers of Invention
Uncle Meat

by nig USER (37 Reviews)
April 5th, 2014 | 40 replies | 645 views

Release Date: 1969 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Actually I really fucked up in Europe...Now that I've done it all over and nobody else will accept me. I've come home to my Mothers..."

To get it out of the way, I’ll simply say, Uncle Meat is really out there. Even for Zappa standards, it’s extremely weird. And it’s absurdly magnificent.

Uncle Meat, part of the “No Commercial Potential” series Zappa had going on at the time, Uncle Meat was the proposed soundtrack to a science-fiction film that Zappa had in the works, but never got completed (behind-the-scenes footage would be released in 1987 however). It is perhaps Zappa’s most diverse album, even more than We’re Only In It For The Money. Spanning over seventy-five minutes at its original release on April 21, 1969, it gathered its sound from several genres, from straightforward rock music, to orchestral music, and jazz, et cetera, et cetera.

Drawing the elements from the mostly spoken-word remake of Lumpy Gravy, Uncle Meat went one step further, and not only increased the use of bizarre spoken-word segments, but the use of percussion and orchestral movements. This all showcased Zappa’s ever-growing strengths as a composer and arranger. For example, Nine Types of Industrial Pollution and Uncle Meat: Main Title Theme, are based on percussional instrumentation and are formless in melody. The classic rock ‘n’ Roll influences of the 1950s are effortlessly captured in Dog Breath, in the Year of the Plague, which from the start seems as a typical rock track, then turns into an avant-garde group effort dominated by overdubs and the new recording technology of the time. Throughout the album, the band’s unofficial spokeswoman, Suzy Creamcheese would pipe in and tell short stories of The Mothers, and what they were about, serving as quick introductions to the succeeding tracks. Another unique part of the album was the live segments from the band’s performance at the Royal Albert Hall. To say the least, these live portions of the album are the most droll and forgettable recordings The Mothers had the distinction of releasing, and serve no purpose whatsoever to the album.

But the shining moment of Uncle Meat most certainly has to be the finale: King Kong. A side long free jazz behemoth, and clocking in at seventeen minutes, King Kong was the crowning achievement of the original Mothers incarnation without a doubt. Mainly in ¾ time signature, the suite is one long repetition of the track’s melody in different variations, from a live rendition focusing on saxist Ian Underwood, to a variation of the melody put through various electronic effects, as well as a final variation featuring sped-up gongs, overblown saxophones, and several other instruments.

Although free of the satire associated with many of Zappa and The Mother’s albums and other projects, the abundance of ideas found on Uncle Meat place it among The Mothers’ greatest works. It most certainly is the most difficult of the classic-era albums to get into due to its avant-garde sound, and its inaccessibility compared to other Zappa/Mothers albums. That definitely doesn’t mean it’s not worth your time, because to put it straight: It is worth investing not only seventy-five minutes of your time, but a whole day dedicated to it.

Recommended Tracks:

The Uniques From The DustThe Enid Something Wicked This Way Comes
Dry Satire DemoThe Enid Six Pieces
4.2

April 4th 2014

For the Zappa fanatic who loves him even more than I. My first Zappa review since the summer, how time
flies...

King Kong (Live): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQWHNFZ2RE

Digging: Big Nig - Marque un: le point de vue de nigs rsum

sleepdirt

Title track is so good.

April 4th 2014

yeah, some major xylophone stuff going on there

April 4th 2014

OK, I've been digesting his discog lately & I've been procrastinating this behemoth, but this review has me fully convinced there is nothing better I should be doing. Thanks, pos'd.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

April 4th 2014

no prob man, just make sure to get the original mix or the recent remaster, the one with the 30 minute long movie snippet isn't part of the album.

April 4th 2014

UNcle Meat Film Excerpt I (37:35)?? My King Kong is separated into 7 parts as well.

April 4th 2014

yeah, the film excerpt isn't part of the original album, and King Kong has always been split into seven parts.

Jethro42

12034 Comments

I'm interested in this album and in all his bests that he calls Mothers of Invention. Good job on the review maing.

whoa Jethro adopting the "mang", that's something new

one of his harder ones to get into imo

BMDrummer

Good review, pos'd.

Digging: Molecular Corporation - Ambient Sputnik and The Dancing Government

April 4th 2014

one thing I noticed: the one day Ars isn't here, I post my first Zappa review in months.

coincidence? I THINK NOOOOOT

BM- thanks

Jethro42

12034 Comments

I'll just have to be more patient I guess. As for the ''mang'' I first discovered it outside of sputnik with a friend of mine. A francophone who used to say it all the time.

April 4th 2014

ah interesting, it's just nice because that's first time I've seen you even say that. pretty swee either way.

April 4th 2014

Why isn't Zappa more popular on Sput? It's really perplexing, because I think most people who
frequent this site would enjoy his brilliant compositions and sense of humor. :=/ I'm enjoying the
hell outta this so far (might be cooler than We're Only In It...).

April 4th 2014

he is, it's just he's one of those artists that get little discussion.

1946 Comments

"Dog Breath, in the Year of the Plague" and "Mr. Green Genes" have to be my favorites from the album. I wouldn't say Uncle Meat is among my favorites by Zappa's in general, but its still pretty good.

The review was well written though so good job!

Digging: Laurie Anderson - Big Science

April 4th 2014

thanks, and I'm guessing it has to do with the lack of satire?

1946 Comments

Well I guess it's that partly, but for the most part I just don't have a lot of favorites from it. Mainly the 2 I said above and
the "King Kong" stuff are my favorite.

It's definitely closer to a 3.5 than a 2.5 for me.

April 4th 2014

well, considering a good amount of his stuff has no satire, i think you ain't gonna enjoy it maybe

1946 Comments

Well, although his satire stuff is a huge bonus I love plenty of his other stuff.

I gave Sleep Dirt and Waka/Jawaka both 4/5