The Mothers of Invention
Uncle Meat

by post-partum chrimbus depression USER (51 Reviews)
April 5th, 2014 | 26 replies

Release Date: 1969 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Actually I really fucked up in Europe...Now that I've done it all over and nobody else will accept me. I've come home to my Mothers..."

To get it out of the way, I’ll simply say, Uncle Meat is really out there. Even for Zappa standards, it’s extremely weird. And it’s absurdly magnificent.

Uncle Meat, part of the “No Commercial Potential” series Zappa had going on at the time, Uncle Meat was the proposed soundtrack to a science-fiction film that Zappa had in the works, but never got completed (behind-the-scenes footage would be released in 1987 however). It is perhaps Zappa’s most diverse album, even more than We’re Only In It For The Money. Spanning over seventy-five minutes at its original release on April 21, 1969, it gathered its sound from several genres, from straightforward rock music, to orchestral music, and jazz, et cetera, et cetera.

Drawing the elements from the mostly spoken-word remake of Lumpy Gravy, Uncle Meat went one step further, and not only increased the use of bizarre spoken-word segments, but the use of percussion and orchestral movements. This all showcased Zappa’s ever-growing strengths as a composer and arranger. For example, Nine Types of Industrial Pollution and Uncle Meat: Main Title Theme, are based on percussional instrumentation and are formless in melody. The classic rock ‘n’ Roll influences of the 1950s are effortlessly captured in Dog Breath, in the Year of the Plague, which from the start seems as a typical rock track, then turns into an avant-garde group effort dominated by overdubs and the new recording technology of the time. Throughout the album, the band’s unofficial spokeswoman, Suzy Creamcheese would pipe in and tell short stories of The Mothers, and what they were about, serving as quick introductions to the succeeding tracks. Another unique part of the album was the live segments from the band’s performance at the Royal Albert Hall. To say the least, these live portions of the album are the most droll and forgettable recordings The Mothers had the distinction of releasing, and serve no purpose whatsoever to the album.

But the shining moment of Uncle Meat most certainly has to be the finale: King Kong. A side long free jazz behemoth, and clocking in at seventeen minutes, King Kong was the crowning achievement of the original Mothers incarnation without a doubt. Mainly in ¾ time signature, the suite is one long repetition of the track’s melody in different variations, from a live rendition focusing on saxist Ian Underwood, to a variation of the melody put through various electronic effects, as well as a final variation featuring sped-up gongs, overblown saxophones, and several other instruments.

Although free of the satire associated with many of Zappa and The Mother’s albums and other projects, the abundance of ideas found on Uncle Meat place it among The Mothers’ greatest works. It most certainly is the most difficult of the classic-era albums to get into due to its avant-garde sound, and its inaccessibility compared to other Zappa/Mothers albums. That definitely doesn’t mean it’s not worth your time, because to put it straight: It is worth investing not only seventy-five minutes of your time, but a whole day dedicated to it.

Recommended Tracks:

Project X
King Kong

The Enid SalomeThe Flaming Lips Imagene Peise: Atlas Eets Christmas
Mr. Bungle Mr. BungleA Slow Descent A Slow Descent
The Flaming Lips With A Little Help From My FwendsScott Walker and Sunn O))) Soused
4.2

sleepdirt

Title track is so good.

April 4th 2014

OK, I've been digesting his discog lately & I've been procrastinating this behemoth, but this review has me fully convinced there is nothing better I should be doing. Thanks, pos'd.

April 4th 2014

UNcle Meat Film Excerpt I (37:35)?? My King Kong is separated into 7 parts as well.

Jethro42
April 4th 2014

I'm interested in this album and in all his bests that he calls Mothers of Invention. Good job on the review maing.

BMDrummer

Good review, pos'd.

Jethro42
April 4th 2014

I'll just have to be more patient I guess. As for the ''mang'' I first discovered it outside of sputnik with a friend of mine. A francophone who used to say it all the time.

April 4th 2014

Why isn't Zappa more popular on Sput? It's really perplexing, because I think most people who
frequent this site would enjoy his brilliant compositions and sense of humor. :=/ I'm enjoying the
hell outta this so far (might be cooler than We're Only In It...).

April 4th 2014

"Dog Breath, in the Year of the Plague" and "Mr. Green Genes" have to be my favorites from the album. I wouldn't say Uncle Meat is among my favorites by Zappa's in general, but its still pretty good.

The review was well written though so good job!

Digging: The Knife - Silent Shout

April 4th 2014

Well I guess it's that partly, but for the most part I just don't have a lot of favorites from it. Mainly the 2 I said above and
the "King Kong" stuff are my favorite.

It's definitely closer to a 3.5 than a 2.5 for me.

April 4th 2014

Well, although his satire stuff is a huge bonus I love plenty of his other stuff.

I gave Sleep Dirt and Waka/Jawaka both 4/5
I gave Jazz from Hell and The Grand Wazoo both 4.5/5
and Hot Rats a 5/5.

GrandpaSeth3000
April 4th 2014

I was about 26 years old when this first came out. I remember seeing it in the neighborhood record
store and being really confused by the album cover and so I decided to check it out. I really like it
and its a really cool sound. I don't always like Frank Zappa's music but this is a good album.

- gs3k

Digging: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

GrandpaSeth3000
April 4th 2014

Music is my passion. It always has been since the 1950s.

- gs3k

April 5th 2014

Pos'd cuz teeth so what is this. Gonna read

Digging: Henryk Gorecki - Symphony No. 3, Op. 36

fresh

what u mean the 5?

April 5th 2014

same nigga I think we's on tha same schedule

U in Cali?

ScuroFantasma

Good review Frip, pos

Digging: Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

menawati

nice review frip

Digging: Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega

April 5th 2014

were the beats legit or was their clipping problems again?

faith