Stray From the Path
Anonymous

good

by Phil Nicosia USER (1 Reviews)
April 3rd, 2014 | 3 replies

Release Date: 09/17/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The album was pretty good, and overall definitely worth a listen.

Stray From The Path release their 7th full-length, and this time have a bit more to say. Formed in 2001, the sound they branded hasn't really strayed from the path at all over the years. They have been writing in a similar format instrumentally, and vocally for over a decade now. Although, "Anonymous" is just about as evolved as any fan could have asked for. With each album beginning to sound more and more like Rage Against The Machine's "Evil Empire" (1996), this one takes the cake. Both singles SFTP released prior to the albums drop, hold a serious acquaintance to the early RATM sound. One of those tracks being their recent music video 's "Badge & A Bullet", Stray From The Path lyrically attack "The System" and "Corrupt Law Officials". Ironically much alike RATM, but not a big transition from previous Stray From The Path. Seeing so many negative comments since this albums' date of release, puzzled me to wonder what fans had really been expecting. Stray's last full-length Sumerian Record release, "Rising Sun" (2012), was not much different than Anonymous. In many ways, it could just be seen as an installment.

The album opens with an introduction to the "Anonymous" theme, with a song titled "False Flag". It builds up, and hits hard like expected. By the third track "Radio", featuring Jesse Barnett of Stick to Your Guns, you're probably hooked. They pull you in with aggression, and the fast-pace drum work sets up for what many consider to be the best song on the record. "Scissor Hands", the fourth track on the album, re-introduces Drew York's old vocal styles and ideas. We hear the first "Blegh", the first direct use of the "F-word", and all the while being perfectly backed by the high screams of Jason Aalon Butler, of L.A post-hardcore band "Letlive". The 3 tracks that follow, "Black Friday", "Counting Sheep", and "Slice Of Life", are in my opinion the 3 best tracks of the 10 track record. The eighth song on the album, "Tell Them I'm Not Home", unfortunately gave me a bad taste. It didn't turn my opinion on the entirety of the album, but did show evidence to one of SFTP's minor flaws on this album. Throughout the record, repeated guitar riffs, choruses, and especially lyrical repetition, become a serious annoyance to any listener. Off of that, the ninth track "Landmines", re-boots the RATM feel in my opinion, but played out well with a sick drumming style. The final track on the album, "Anonymous" is pretty much just a final push. It builds up with John F. Kennedy's "Conspiracy Speech", and concludes with an aggressive riff, revolt based lyrics, and a well played out ending, to a pretty good record.