Steppenwolf
Steppenwolf

by manosg USER (42 Reviews)
April 2nd, 2014 | 24 replies

Release Date: 1968 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I like smoke and lightning, Heavy metal thunder, Racin' with the wind, And the feelin' that I'm under.

Motorbike, leather jacket, rock music and the open road. The dream of a whole generation of young people found its soundtrack at the end of the ‘60s. That’s only one of the reasons that Steppenwolf is an iconic album though. The other reason is of course the inclusion of the phrase “heavy metal thunder” on the band’s most well known track, “Born to Be Wild”. The origins of the term “heavy metal” are lost in the depths of history so the only certainty is that lyrically its first appearance was in Steppenwolf’s song.

However, Steppenwolf’s debut is much more than just “Born to Be Wild”. It’s a solid blues rock affair with psychedelic influences characteristic of the era. Bearing in mind the time the album was released, it can be characterized as heavy, wild and loud. Imagine a blend of hard rock reminiscent of Creedence Clearwater Revival, Grand Funk Railroad and Canned Heat with the psychedelic flavor of Iron Butterfly and Vanilla Fudge. Steppenwolf’s sound is guitar driven, but one can listen to some groovy bass lines, solid drumming and of course Goldy McJohn’s piano and organ. Vocalist John Cay brings to mind John Fogerty from Creedence Clearwater Revival without being as powerful though. Nevertheless, that’s not a bad thing as John Fogerty was one of the most talented vocalists in rock.

The biker anthem “Born to Be Wild” is of course one of the standout tracks here but one can listen to the badass “The Pusher”, check the driving rhythm of the rebellious “The Ostrich”, or the laid back “Snowblind Friend”. Moreover, blues rock lovers are bound to appreciate “Your Wall’s Too High” while “Desperation” is also a track worth noting. In addition, fans of The Doors will most probably find similarities between the main riffs of “Everybody’s Next One” and Morrison Hotel’s “You Make Me Real”.

Overall, Steppenwolf is an excellent album which is highly recommended for fans of blues rock and lovers of the bands mentioned previously. It contains all the elements that made the blues and psychedelic movements of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s special and is best accompanied by images of the iconic counterculture film Easy Rider.

Little Richard Little RichardBlind Guardian Tokyo Tales
Monster Magnet Milking The StarsRotting Christ Sleep of the Angels
Midnight No Mercy for MayhemThe Paul Butterfield Blues Band Paul Butterfield Blues Band

April 2nd 2014

Iconic counterculture album for fans of rock/metal.

Full album here: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Steppenwolf/1120539

Your comments are appreciated.

Digging: Whitesnake - Slide It In

VermTheImpaler

Album is great. :3

tempest--
April 2nd 2014

Don't think I've ever heard a Steppenwolf song other than Born to Be Wild, haha. Will need to check this out.

April 2nd 2014

haha yeah, there are so many people who haven't heard any of their songs apart from Born to Be Wild. Before listening to a full album of theirs I really didn't think very highly of them but this one is quite solid.

emester
April 2nd 2014

one of the first albums my dad ever bought me. think I was 9 when I first got it

Digging: Skelator - King of Fear

20158 Comments

sweet review buddy, was an enjoyable read. Haven't heard much of these guys will definitely check them out!

just a small fix in the first paragraph: That’s only one of the reasons THAT Steppenwolf ;)

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

Mad.
April 2nd 2014

Great review man pos'd, no idea why this didn't have one already!

I should definitely give it a spin

emester
April 2nd 2014

Its a shame these guys are only known for 2 songs...

@Atari
Thanks dude, error corrected!

It's a cool album and knowing that you enjoy some blues rock I think you'll like it.

@Mad
I was surprised too man, it's a significant album.

@emester
Agreed. Their first two albums are solid. Haven't heard their third one for a long time though.

menawati

steppenwolf/

EvoHavok
April 2nd 2014

Woah, I only know 'Born to be Wild', but I am surprised this has such a low number of ratings.

Digging: DIR EN GREY - Arche

MrSirLordGentleman

60's right here

tempest--
April 3rd 2014

MANO CAN YOU REVIEW TED NUGENT STRANGLEHOLD sorry i didn't realise i had caps on

April 3rd 2014

Ted Nugent doesn't have a review?! That's weird. I'll need to re-listen it because I like "Stranglehold" but I'm not so sure/familiar with the rest of the album.

deslad
April 3rd 2014

Great review mano, POS. I should give that one a try, it sounds intriguing.

Digging: Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

April 3rd 2014

Cheers, appreciate it! On another note, a couple of songs from this one were included in the soundtrack of the movie "Easy Rider". Seems like a great film and I'll definitely watch it in the following days. If this doesn't get you in the mood, I don't know what will:

MrSirLordGentleman