Molecular Corporation
Broken Hearted Extras and The Rotary Parallax

by Professional Reviewer USER (2 Reviews)
April 1st, 2014 | 98 replies | 2,581 views

Release Date: 04/01/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: About as good as you would expect a Sputnik collaboration to be.

Broken Hearted Extras and The Rotary Parallax, which features Sputnik users Frippertronics (who had the idea and organizes the releases), YakNips, and Notaflower, is the first of many site-wide collaborations under the name Molecular Corporation. This relatively short EP is a tease, showcasing a select few of the artists that will be on the upcoming LP. The tracklisting for that is to be revealed on April 15th, and it's unclear whether these same tracks will be on the full length.

Frippertronics' contributions to the EP (tracks 1, 3, and 5) all suffer from the same problem - a general lack of focus and effort. The first track, "The Rotary Parallax", sounds like random synth generated with FL Studio and its presets in one take. Some of the dissonance is certainly interesting, and the end is terrifying in a fantastic way, but the rest of the track is throwaway. What sounds like an extension/outtake of the first, "The Broken Hearted Extra Track..." has the same random synths; however, having only 20 seconds of this synth dissonance leads to an enjoyable outro. "Major Tom Is Dead (and Is Never Coming Back)" has more thought put into the title than the song itself. Super quiet looped watery sounds that go nowhere at all make for an absolutely pointless track. Clocking in at 4 minutes, 7 seconds, it's about 4 minutes too long.

"I Will Die Alone (Without a Voice, Without a Sound)", despite being somewhat repetitive, is a decent track. It's an effective emotional solo piano track that sounds a bit like the title, due to YakNips' accentuated notes. The undisputed gem on this release is "Stepping Through the Sky", which comes as an absolute surprise after track 3. Unlike the other tracks on this release, its 4 minute, 40 second runtime is justified. It's a downtempo emotional ambient hip-hop track that builds and builds, adding layers of instruments every few bars to a climax, then fizzles back out until the end like a palindrome. Notaflower supplied a fully realized, well written, gripping, and generally awesome track, and it almost shouldn't be in such company as the others.

Admittedly, this EP has a remarkable amount of consistency for what it is. Each track flows into the next pretty well. The production and mastering sounds similar, and there's no jarring transition into a different sound like songs on some other compilations. All the tracks have a similar style (minimalistic dreamcore). Also, the artwork is cool even though it looks like a metroid penis (apparently a rocket taking off, which makes sense in context of what this EP is).

The last 5 seconds of the EP say sarcastically (from what I can decipher), "You thought this would be good? Give me a break." Since this project is more of an 'exclusive' compilation, it maintains the same flaws plaguing most user releases. So, a simple solution to enjoy these releases is to listen to the tracks created by users with quality output and avoid the rest. Still, it's exactly what you would expect from a Sputnik collaboration, for better or worse.

3.3

April 1st 2014

lmao im on a fcking roll with empathy today i guess

sixdegrees
April 1st 2014

ah shit still need to get my track in for this

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

sixdegrees

well u had best remember cuz its gonna be str8 fiya

Judio!
April 1st 2014

The hype train for the Sputnik LP has officially left the station

Digging: Integrity - Those Who Fear Tomorrow

the hype rocket/metroid penis

Treeman
April 1st 2014

Treeman gon go in on the LP

April 1st 2014

Gotta say I really like this

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

April 1st 2014

you can rate too since its not all you, I feel comfortable with it

PunchforPunch
April 1st 2014

"About as good as you would expect a Sputnik collaboration to be"

lol

April 1st 2014

reviews a little pretentious tbh

April 1st 2014

Sorry if it comes off as pretentious, it's only because I'm better than you and have superior tastes of and relating to music.

April 1st 2014

well you're larger than me, that's pre much it

Oh hey Fripp I didn't know that. I thought you were just 1 track, my bad tbh

more purps than lakerz

that's brute, hurl it

April 1st 2014

wear welding gloves, they sting hard tbh

April 1st 2014

no but seriously i get why i sound pretentious, i always feel ultra passionately about music shit but i try to write objectively so it ends up sounding like i know what im talking about

i dont

April 1st 2014

naw bro I just joking tbh

oh ok

yeah cause this is my second review and i tried to cut down on that lol

I actually Pos'd bro. I'm # 3

April 1st 2014

sausage links are too hard on ma phone frip nips