Deep Purple
Live in Paris 1975

by manosg USER (37 Reviews)
March 25th, 2014 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Even though not as magical as California Jamming or energetic as Live in London, Live in Paris 1975 is an excellent live album that marks Blackmore’s final stand with Deep Purple Mk. III

Live in Paris 1975 is one of the most significant live albums in Deep Purple’s catalogue for two reasons. Firstly, it’s the only Purple live album that contains “The Gypsy”, one of the best tracks from Stormbringer. Secondly and more importantly, it marks Blackmore’s last appearance with the band until they reformed in 1984.

Most of you will already know that Blackmore was disillusioned during his last months with Purple in 1975 due to the direction the band had taken with Coverdale and Hughes in the lineup. After redefining themselves with the release of Burn, the band went on to record Stormbringer. However, the chemistry among the members had begun to decrease while at the same time the funk/soul elements in their sound increased. The last straw in that situation was the rest of the members’ refusal to include a cover of “Black Sheep of the Family” in Stormbringer after Blackmore’s request. As a result, Ritchie Blackmore teamed up with Ronnie James Dio’s band Elf (sans their lead guitarist), formed Rainbow and on March 14, 1975 they completed the recording of Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow. However, less than one month later they gave what was meant to be the last show of Mark III Deep Purple.

Ritchie Blackmore has the rumor of being a rather moody and irritable human being so knowing his decision to leave the band, someone would expect Live in Paris 1975 to be a rather mediocre live album hindered by an unmotivated guitar player’s poor performance. However, this is not the case here as the band is on top form for Mk. III standards and Blackmore delivers another excellent performance. His playing is not wild but precise, imaginative and emotional. Those who are familiar with Deep Purple Mk. III would know that by the time the band had recorded Stormbringer, Coverdale and Hughes had developed a high chemistry. This is very evident on this performance as Purple’s leading vocalists combine seamlessly. In addition, even though Coverdale doesn’t match his performance on California Jamming, Hughes is more restrained and therefore avoids some of his vocal errors on the aforementioned live. Moreover, the album’s setlist is one of the most complete you’ll find on an Mk. III live as the album was recorded during the band’s tour in support of Stormbringer.

On the other hand, the production could have been better as it’s a bit raw and Jon Lord’s organ is very high in the mix at times such as on “Mistreated”. Furthermore, even though the band provides us with some improvisations and extended solos, they lack the magic of Mk. II live albums.

To sum up, Live in Paris 1975, apart from its historical significance, is a solid live album for Deep Purple standards. The fact that “The Gypsy”, ‘Lady Double Dealer”, “Mistreated” and “You Fool No One” have never been performed since then certainly adds to the mystique of an album that should be listened at least once by every Deep Purple fan.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band Paul Butterfield Blues BandNina Simone Pastel Blues
Nightfall Athenian EchoesTheatre Of Tragedy Aegis
Accept BreakerToots & The Maytals Funky Kingston
4.2

A must-listen for Purple fans. Full album here:

Any comment is appreciated.

Digging: Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom

March 25th 2014

Aw, this was my last hope to hear a decent live synth intro to Stormbringer

Arcade
March 25th 2014

I know everybody hates it but the Come Hell or High Water live album I think is brilliant. Good reviewp

Digging: Botch - We Are the Romans

March 25th 2014

Come Hell or High Water is interesting, it has Anyone's Daughter which is awesome (but it's a pretty lame version) and Child in Time sucks for obvious aging reasons, honestly, for a 90's concert I think they should've used a setlist based on Perfect Strangers

March 25th 2014

Why no one's commenting this awesome review of an awesome album? , hate this site

Arcade

because it isn't lil b

dannyboy89

12031 Comments

The last straw in that situation was the rest members’ refusal to include a cover of “Black Sheep of the Family” in Stormbringer after Blackmore’s request.

Should be "rest of the members".

Other than that this is a sweet review, have a pos.

March 26th 2014

Thanks for the kind words guys. Come Hell or High Water surely has its moments but I agree with MSLG. I'd prefer them to have focused on newer material.

Thanks danny, error corrected.

Muisc4Life26

great review man pos

Cheers dude!

19920 Comments

commmenting to remind myself to read later : )

Digging: Transit - Joyride

19920 Comments

manosg for contrib next round!

Great review man, nice to see you writing so consistently lately. I haven't heard Stormbringer, but Live in Japan is amazing so I think I'll check it out and then give this a listen. Pos

deslad
March 27th 2014

Sweet review man, POS. I love DP's live performances and improvs in general so I'll definitely check this out soon.

Digging: Rainbow - On Stage

@Atari
Thanks dude, I really appreciate it! I try to write more often because there are so many albums that I want to review even though they're not new releases.

@deslad
Cheers! Knowing your taste, I think you'll enjoy this one mightily!

19920 Comments

older albums are the best though :]

March 27th 2014

So many old albums that will never be recognized in sputnik because only new albums can be featured on the front page...

March 28th 2014

Agreed guys. I obviously respect sputnik's decision to feature only new releases but I would personally like to see every now and then a classic album featured too. I know that Atari agrees too so let's hope more people get behind that.

deslad
April 3rd 2014

I just listened to it and it was really great. I might even 4.5 this at some point.