Justin Bieber
Journals

good

by Dalton DuBois USER (29 Reviews)
March 24th, 2014 | 129 replies

Release Date: 12/23/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Mellow and well produced, Justin Bieber delivers a consistently good release for the first time in his career

Justin Bieber’s no stranger to controversy, with his recent arrest for DUI and resisting arrest, he continues to garner public attention. The important question throughout all of his newfound reckless behavior is whether or not any of this translates into his music. The answer is no, and for good reason. “Journals” is a solid collection of downtempo R&B songs that doesn’t particularly stick out, but it’s an entertaining listen nonetheless.

We open up with “Heartbreaker”, a slow song that utilizes an echoed guitar line with a subdued bass beat to form the foundation. The majority of the album is similar to this, with some songs relying more on the electronic side. Other songs consistently throw in dashes of acoustic and piano throughout the mix to keep things livened up and interesting; a notable example would be “All That Matters”, where the plucking of the acoustic strings is very high in the mix. However there are a couple tracks that rely more on the electronic side for their appeal; such as “Confident” which also features a well placed cameo from Chance the Rapper. This shift in sound priority is of course welcome due to Rodney Jerkin’s crisp, clear production work. Bieber himself was the executive producer as well and had a bit of creative control over certain tracks such as “Change Me”, a piano ballad in which Bieber puts his voice to work.

Speaking of which, his voice has undergone a bit of growth since his last effort. His style incorporates a lot of subdued rapping with very solid low-key vocals. His habit of overusing “whoa's” and “oh oh’s” is still in effect here, but unlike before they are used to an effect that overall adds to each of the songs. Unfortunately his high range still needs work, as there are times where his falsetto and anything above his mid-range sounds forced and frankly not good. His best vocal performance is without a doubt in “Change Me” and “All That Matters.” His lyricism has thankfully improved from gems such as “I’ll be your platinum, I’ll be your silver, I’ll be your gold” and has taken a downtempo turn similar to the music. Most of the songs are about love, girls and a couple tracks regarding introspection. Nothing stands out here, but his writing style is improving from before.

In short, Bieber’s come a long way from the swoopy haired teenager that every 14 year old with access to a Youtube account would equate to the epitome of torturous music, but he still has a lot of work to do in order to match up with his contemporaries. If he can focus on honing his high range, write more personal lyrics and tap into his R&B influences more, then there’s a good chance that we could have an even more solid effort come from JB. Until then, we’re left with his best record to date.

The Best: “PYD”, “Confident”, “Change Me”, “All That Matters.”

The Worst: “Backpack”, “Whats Hatnin.”

Blood on the Dance Floor Blood UnpluggedMatty Mullins Matty Mullins
Celldweller End of an Empire - Chapter 01: TimeSoundtrack (Film) Transformers - Age of Extinction
Soundtrack (Anime) Code Geass R2 OST #2Black Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds
2.3
VaxXi (3)
Let's be honest. Bieber did good with a release....

March 24th 2014

Album didn't have a review, so I wrote up a short review for it.
Albums not half bad.

Hurricanslash
March 24th 2014

Review is accurate. Decent album.

That being said, JB feat. Future should have never happened ever. Jesus.

Thanks mate.
Well, the track with Future is in "The Worst" for a reason.

March 24th 2014

It's actually a decent album, I was surprised as well.

thelastsignal
March 24th 2014

Good review, man. Nice and succinct, pos'd. Can't say that I've listened to this album, although I have heard the song that he did with Chance the Rapper. He's not the worst artist in the world like some would lead you to believe, but he's insufferably boring from what I have heard.

Digging: Achilles - Hospice

March 24th 2014

Thanks for the pos. Yeah, the track with Chance is "Confident." It's a pretty good track, especially
compared to his previous works. I dunno if you'd wanna give this a shot. Listen to "All That Matters."
If you like that, give this album a shot.

zakalwe

Forever sucking on Satans schlong

Digging: King Buzzo - This Machine Kills Artists

Lol

Confucius

[2]

March 24th 2014

A 1 verm? Tell me why you hate this.

March 24th 2014

Sure, every song here is just the most cliche and overrpoduced pop, even all that matters is a freakin and annoying piece of shit. He still abuses of the woah and oh oh, lyrics are lame as hell and he is perhaps the worst singer with a fanbase which is as radical as a suicidal cult. And Whats hatin is vomitive, is like AIDS or something like that

SnakeDelilah

The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio

Digging: The Antlers - Familiars

March 24th 2014

Mentioning the national and justin bieber in the same sentence is a offense against the national and the music in general

SnakeDelilah
March 24th 2014

I didn't even say Justin Bieber.

KriegdemKriege
March 24th 2014

Verm hasn't listened to the album.

March 24th 2014

You are wrong krieg. Nice try

March 24th 2014

Verm I don't believe you've listened to this album in full either. I don't see how this is objectively a 1.

March 24th 2014

I have to stop after Whats hatnin, I don't listen it full cuz I missed like 2 or 3 tracks but if I have to stop the jamming season before the last song it means that the album is an abomination, I know that opinions are different and shit but you see my point

Funeralopolis