YG
My Krazy Life

by Ben Thornburgh CONTRIBUTOR (108 Reviews)
March 24th, 2014 | 206 replies | 11,035 views

Release Date: 03/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The sun glows orange over the Pacific Ocean. A '64 Chevy Impala lurches to one side, its opposite side boosted by powerful hydraulic pumps. Weed smoke permeates the air above it.

When YG’s (Keenon Jackson) atmospheric single “My Nigga” was released last year it didn't become an instant smash hit. Instead it slowly built momentum before a viral Vine video sent the song rocketing into the top 20. It reigned on rap radio for months and still sits in regular rotation. Unfortunately, “My Nigga”s omnipresence quickly fatigued the song and now it’s more likely to get a quick flip of the dial than a full listen. But the way “My Nigga” is cleverly sequenced into YG’s debut album My Krazy Life grants it a second life.

After just over 2 minutes of the tense, anxious home invasion step by step “Meet the Flockers”, the beat drops out for guest artist Tee Cee’s line “Hit my first lick passed with my niggas aye!” The instant that line ends, the epic first synth hit for “My Nigga” comes ripping out of “Flockers” nervy dread. Similar to a masterful DJ beat transition, the effect is overwhelmingly pleasurable. It hits the reset button on every time you’ve ever heard “My Nigga” and makes the song sound brand new again.

My Krazy Life has come out of nowhere to secure an easy position among the best rap albums of the year and an official heads up that ratchet music has arrived. Perhaps most impressive is the fact that My Krazy Life sounds unmistakably West Coast without sounding exactly like 2001 or The Chronic. DJ Mustard’s distinctive sound, which laces 10 of the album’s 14 songs, is filled with miles of open space and a refreshing, reserved approach to bass.

YG twists songs with the perfect amount of gritty reality and fantastic escapism. When YG raps, “It's a must in the county, I ain't have no pagers/My bitch wouldn't come see me, I was in there masturbating” it’s darkly funny and hard not to take him at his word. YG’s earlier days were spent robbing houses. Instead of tried and true lyrics about cooking cocaine, we get vividly intense works like “Meet the Flockers”, a second by second recounting of a home invasion. Even the requisite mom ode “Sorry Momma” is filled with spirit and empathy by recreating an argument between YG and his mother.

A collection of West side bangers like “Left, Right” and “Who Do You Love” would have been enough for a recommendation but what really puts My Krazy Life over the top is that it also hides a concept album in it. Even looser than Kendrick Lamar’s, who contributes a furious verse on “Really Be (Smokin N Drinkin)", Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City, My Krazy Life tells a story that begins with YG robbing a random house in a Chinese neighborhood (“because they don't believe in bank accounts”) and ends with YG in prison. The plot never harms the album’s momentum or reduces songs to mere plot advancing. Instead, it furthers My Krazy Life’s widescreen portrait of Los Angeles.

That the “Toot and Boot It” guy got to release an album at all is pretty amazing. That it turned out to be this good is nothing short of incredible. Despite two better-than-average-but-still-not-so-great for the ladies tracks (“Do It To Ya” and “Me & My Bitch”, helpfully sequenced together for easy skipping), My Krazy Life has emerged as one of the most enjoyable rap albums of the year. It’s attention to detail extends all the way down to the sequencing of skits at the end of tracks instead of the beginning. Even Biggie got that wrong once.

Coldplay A Rush of Blood to the HeadThe Streets Original Pirate Material
Clinic Walking With TheeBoards of Canada Geogaddi
Pulp We Love LifeBasement Jaxx Rooty
good

March 24th 2014

I debated hard between a 4 and a 4.5. We'll see what this turns out to be but it is really great.

I wrote this relatively quick so please suggest edits.

sorry bro, but no

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

YG?

let me guess, 'young g____'

Digging: B-Ju - Merianplatz

Recspecs
March 24th 2014

Yayo is the best song he'll be involved in

GnarlyShillelagh

Ye I heard this was hot

Still haven't peeped yet tho

Deviant.
March 24th 2014

Pretty much that ^, but y'know, whiter

Digging: Calyx and Teebee - FabricLive.76

March 24th 2014

i dunno i listened to the first few tracks and it was pretty much the worst thing ever tbqh

March 24th 2014

unintelligent drivel 'nigga this nigga that' extremely generic trap beat 'autotune singing passage' 'pussy this pussy that'

ShitsofRain
March 24th 2014

you aint feeling that krazy life

Digging: Ben Sims - Fabric 73

March 24th 2014

definitely not feelin the mindless drivel ya

Aids

chyeah breh

"like all of this so far basically just sounds like the epitome of what is wrong with hip-hop these days"

cue oltna???????

Digging: Ought - More Than Any Other Day

lol yeah

surprised you like this adrian

yeah what Papas said

March 24th 2014

i rarely rate anything under a 2.5 but i totally am probably gonna 1.5 or 2 this

ShitsofRain

you are krazy

Aids
March 24th 2014

"surprised you like this adrian"

me too, I think I'm just trying to get that tard oltnabrick to like me

also I like basketball now

#GoSports

Buzzkillr
March 24th 2014

only good songs on this are the singles and "I just wanna party". listening to an entire album produced by dj mustard is actually quite tiresome

^^

Dad?

Emyay
March 24th 2014

i actually prefer yg's verses to kendrick's verse on 'really be'. it might be just me but i'm getting kind of tired of kendrick doing the "start slow then get pissed" style. he seems to be using it too much lately. great song eithe way

Digging: TTNG - Adventure, Stamina & Anger