Rue Morgue
Rue Morgue

by pixie Jacob esque qt USER (33 Reviews)
March 23rd, 2014 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fill your earholes with the real deal.

From 1997-2002 screamo was very much alive and well. Many bands from this time period are well known, Orchid, I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook, Jeromes Dream, Pg. 99, etc., but a band that I didn't know until recently are a hardcore band from Iowa that existed for less than a year called Rue Morgue.

They play a style that while remaining screamo, leans very close to being a straight-up hardcore band. The screams sound like they were very influential to Nolan Arthur of The Truth About Dreaming/Iwontstopwonderinguntilyoustopbreathing/Flowers In Gun Barrels/Aogikahara, with the main vocalist Spencer having a very high-pitched scream similar to Jeff Smith of Jeromes Dream, but with more use of the throat and less howling. The guitars while reminaing melodic for the most part, sometimes the band even utilizes clean sections, are always fast-paced and energetic, with the drums following suit.

This EP is the only release from this band, recorded in a living room, containing only 8 songs that all clock in at under two minutes. But trust me, they don't need that much time to get their point across. While their existence was short lived, they were known for their energetic and entertaining live shows, and that's the way hardcore shows should be. Whether you cannot stand the vocals, or the production, the energy and passion in this album are undeniable.

This is some real ***.