The Mothers of Invention
Burnt Weeny Sandwich

by Soup Enthusiast USER (12 Reviews)
March 22nd, 2014 | 10 replies

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's a huge disappointment, but charming doo-wop songs and the epic guitar and violin in "The Little House I Used to Live In" keep it from being a complete failure.

The Mothers of Invention, headed by the genius of Frank Zappa, had previously released albums consisting of analytical satire, psychedelic rock, and doo-wop, and experimentalism. Sadly, the original line-up for The Mothers had just broken up after the release of Uncle Meat. Because of this, Zappa decided to take unreleased material from The Mothers and put them onto two new albums: Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

Burnt Weeny Sandwich in specific borrows orchestral instrumentations, doo-wop covers, and guitar solos from The Mother's previous studio sessions and concerts. There's no satire or experimentalism to be found on the entire album. The orchestral songs are for the most part brief and follow a loose theme; literally every single one is forgettable. Luckily, the two doo-wop covers, "WPLJ" and "Valerie", are charming little numbers that serve as bookends to an otherwise instrumental album.

More than half of the album (over 29 of the 41 minutes) is devoted to three guitar solos. The first two of which are rather average for Zappa and yet again forgettable. In complete contrast, "Little House I Used to Live In" serves as a just under 19 minute thrilling battle between the guitar and violin. The drum and piano parts are also quite impressive. It's more than just your typical live jam. This track alone makes the album worth a listen, or better yet: just listen to this song.

Overall, the album comes off as more of a compilation than something whose track listing was given the utmost care in writing. Basically, it's a huge disappointment, but charming doo-wop songs and the epic guitar and violin in "The Little House I Used to Live In" keep it from being a complete failure. Don't bother listening to it in full unless you're attempting to listen to Zappa's entire discography. On the other hand, Burnt Weeny Sandwich's twin album, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, is awesome and totally worth checking out.

PJ Harvey Uh Huh HerFrank Zappa Thing-Fish
Ween Craters of the SacBeck Odelay!
Various Artists Songs in the Key of ZWeen Pure Guava

March 22nd 2014

So many Zappa/Mothers albums don't have reviews so I gave it a crack. Sill can't believe You Are What You Is doesn't have one either. I'll have to give writing that a go one of these days.

Digging: Coil - Horse Rotorvator

Calc
March 22nd 2014

Digging: Mr. Oizo - The Church

Salvidian
March 23rd 2014

I hope I'm not intruding as too much of a "new guy" but there were a few issues I noticed. Nothing big, it's okay. Feel free to argue and whatnot.

"Zappa decided to take never released before material"

This is worded strangely. Instead I think you could have said "Zappa decided to take unreleased material" and etc.

"hints at some of the impressive instrumentals that are yet to come"

This was confusing. It sounds like you're trying to sell something, or you are trying to say that Zappa is going to release more material in the future. I might just not be understanding it, but it fells like an odd thing to say.

"Basically, it's a huge disappointment, but charming doo-wop songs and epic guitar and violin parts keep it from being something worthy of being called a failure"

I was wondering about this as well-- specifically the quip about the epic guitar. Earlier in the review you said two of the solos were forgettable with on exception, yet here you said, wholesomely, the epic guitar. Was the epic guitar evident in that one song, or was it epic throughout?

Lastly I'd like to say that it's quite to-the-point. I enjoyed it for the most part and agree.

March 23rd 2014

I tweaked it based on your comments. Still this review is better than my first one...
Thanks for constructive criticism though!

menawati
March 23rd 2014

"saying something is worthy of being called a failure sounds really weird, you should change the wording there"

agreed

scary discog zappa, some of it ive heard is brilliant and then I'll try something and really hate it

Digging: H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft II

Salvidian
March 23rd 2014

Reads better with the changes. I'll pos because I like it.

Penlord
March 24th 2014

5/5

Veldin
April 13th 2014

I think this one's pretty cool. Keeps me entertained throughout.

wakawazoo
May 29th 2014

What? This album has 2 of the best doo wop songs ever, 2 great classical compositions(Igor's
Boogie 1 and 2) and 4 of his best songs: Theme For Burnt Weenie Sandwich, Holiday In Berlin, Aybe
Sea, and The Little House That I Used To Live In. These are all the songs from the album.
Definitively 5 stars

May 29th 2014

I like the 2 doo-wap tracks and and "The Little House That I Used To Live In" is amazing, but the other 6 tracks weren't anything special in my opinion.