Children of Bodom
Blooddrunk

by Stryfe14 USER (2 Reviews)
March 21st, 2014 | 15 replies | 631 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Losing sight of the fundamentals which made them great.

I'm not exactly sure where to begin with this album. As a long time Bodom listener, I'm actually not getting around to listening to Blooddrunk through in its entirety after first discovering the band a couple years ago. I've listened to songs off of the album before, but I've never kicked back and taken an objective listen to the album. I was aware that the consensus on the album was generally poor, and I was getting the impression of that myself over a period of scattered track listenings here and there. So, tonight I finally took the opportunity to give it a solid play-through and get some thoughts down.

Overall, I was very disappointed with the band's 2008 effort. I'm a generally enjoyed Are You Dead Yet?, and while Bodom builds heavily on their thrash sound and more technical riffs, they abandon an already neglected atmospheric and melodic sounding Children of Bodom. It is without a doubt their weakest release to date. However, to say it is a bad album, does not mean that it can't be a fun listen through at times. The highlights of the album are definitely Tie My Rope, Lobodomy, and Roadkill Mourning.

Tie My Rope and Roadkill Mourning are, in my opinion, the most "Bodom" tracks in that they have strong, melodic guitar leads, and the keyboards compliment them nicely. Almost every single other track suffers from a problem where the songs feature a stronger keyboard melody presence, as opposed to leading guitars with complimenting keyboards as the typical formula in previous albums. Because of this, Alexi's riffs sound uninspired and weak. I compare Alexi's guitar playing with the Reaper slicing with his scythe - the idea is for a quick, clean and concise cut. Take a look at Alexi's playing on their earlier albums, his picking, scales and riffs are all distinguishable, however in Blooddrunk his playing is rough. It sounds as if the scythe is having to rip and struggle to cut through, imagining a scythe ripping into the neck of the Reaper's victim in this manner is messy, horrible and gruesome. The same can be said for the majority of the guitar work. This issue is compounded with another of the albums primary problems - the vocals. Singing has never been Alexi's strongpoint, and he's proud to admit that he's a guitar player first and foremost and then a vocalist - what made Children of Bodom unique, however, was how they used Alexi's vocals to their strengths. Rather than attempting to yow in a clear, identifiable manner, Alexi used his vocals to add an additional unrecognizable element of heaviness to the songs to provide that extra punch. This is not the case in Blooddrunk. Alexi is singing as if he is trying to be a singer, and it does not come across well at all, and at its worst sounds similar to a clogged gutter or garbage disposal.

Lobodomy takes me back to the Something Wild feel. Not the feel you got while listening to scores of scales and arpeggios, but the dark, evil atmospheric feeling the black metal influenced songs produced. Without a doubt a trademark of Bodom's debut album, the relentless bass and consuming keyboards in Lobodomy are more than enough to recapture that dark murderous feeling.

This is also my first review, so any advice/comments are appreciated.

Recommended Tracks
Good:
Tie my Rope
Lobodomy
Roadkill Mourning

Bad:
Hellhounds on My Trail
Blooddrunk

March 21st 2014

"Today, Bodom has mostly recovered from the mistakes made in Blooddrunk. Their 2011 release Reckless, Relentless Forever was a step in the right direction, and 2013's Halo of Blood represented to a Bodom of the Follow the Reaper/Hate Crew Deathroll[/i] days. I'm glad I took the time to really get to know this record, which actually completes my play through of Bodom's discography. A few solid band, definitely in my top 5. When it comes down to it though, I have a hard time justifying anything higher than a 2.5."

There are a few typos in this paragraph, and the second half of it is really unnecessary to include in the review.

"This is also my first review, so any advice/comments are appreciated."

You shouldn't include stuff like this in the actual review. Most reviewers add that in a comment.

Overall, this is a pretty good first review. Pos!

Scoot

fuck this album

halo of blood was good

Hovse

Awful coverart

Killerhit
March 21st 2014

one of the worst coverarts ever

nice review mate

Judio!
March 21st 2014

Good band shit album decent review

Digging: Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

This album is way better than Halo of Blood and Reckless

FearTomorrow
March 21st 2014

lol I always thought the cover art was the best thing about this snoozefest.

Digging: The KLF - Chill Out

March 21st 2014

dude halo is better it at least tried to go back to a time where they didnt suck dicks

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

KjSwantko
March 21st 2014

Glad I never listened to this.

ScuroFantasma
March 21st 2014

Halo of Blood is actually really good, this is pretty meh from what I've heard.

As for the review, it's not bad but there are a few things that could be improved upon. Some awkward sentences and that scythe analogy was okay until you got to the decapitation part. I also would urge you to remove the part about this being your first review. That kind of information doesn't belong in the review since it has nothing to do with the album or band. Good first review though.

Digging: The Mark of Man - Exeunt

March 21st 2014

Halo seemed really forced to me. I only gave it a couple of listens when it first came out and haven't listened since.

I'll give it another chance.

Stryfe14
March 21st 2014

I appreciate all of the advice. Honestly was not planning on writing a review, I was in the middle of pulling an all-nighter studying for some last exams before spring break, so future reviews should feel more put together than this.

Alucard125
March 22nd 2014

"As a long time Bodom listener...after first discovering the band a couple years ago."

So you're not a long time Bodom listener then? Two years isn't particularly long for a band that has been going for over fifteen years.

...also, can't believe you consider the title track to be one of the worst on the album. Can I ask why? I find 'Lobodomy' awful just because of the lyrics. Album suffers hard from dreadful songwriting, although I quite like the thrash sound.

March 22nd 2014

^ What's your deal Alucard? Two years is a long time to be familiar with a band's work. They only have eight albums.

Stryfe14
March 22nd 2014

I don't think it takes a particularly long time to familiarize yourself with a discography. 8 albums really isn't that much,
and my iTunes play count reflects Bodom in my Top 5 most listened to bands.

I'm not a fan of the title track because to me it comes off as the cheesy single of the album. The main keyboard melody
and the "Blooddrunk!" chant don't really mix too well in my opinion. Boring guitars, and Alexi sounds his worst in this
song I think.