Freddie Gibbs and Madlib
Pinata

by donkey teeth USER (2 Reviews)
March 18th, 2014 | 461 replies

Release Date: 03/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Filled with delicious goodies for everyone.

Another day, another Madlib production. Since the 90s, Otis Jackson Jr. has, under the name of Madlib, been involved in numerous releases in hip-hop’s underground. He rose to fame during the 2000’s as both a producer and an MC, with the pinnacle of his achievement being the critically acclaimed “Madvillainy,” a collaborative album, much like Pinata, but featuring the enigmatic and commanding MF DOOM.

Pinata, as a collaboration with Madlib and an MC, naturally makes Madvillainy the easiest comparison. Yet, to contend that Gibbs must exist solely in Dumile’s iron-masked shadow is to do Pinata injustice.

The first glimpse you get of Pinata comes with some suitably “vintage” sounding samples put over a strangely familiar drumbeat. The vicious tone and meaning in the samples in “Supplier” gives us our first insight as to the biggest difference between Pinata and Madvillainy. Pinata is a far more aggressive album, and this is mostly due to Freddie Gibbs. His deep voice is evocative of a less syncopated, less furious DMX, and his classic gangsta lyrics and flow mesh with the instrumentals impeccably. The album gets progressively more confident as it goes on, with the only guest appearances from Danny Brown and Raekwon until the last seven tracks, which feature many other rappers from Domo Genesis to Ab-Soul and Scarface. The final track is a behemoth with six guest appearances; a vicious posse cut that wraps Pinata up in a nice little bow of classic gangster hubris.

El-P has a talent for molding other rappers to his beats; Madlib is more given to laying down the beat and letting the rhymes sink or swim. The biggest preconceptions I came into this album with arose from Madvillain; Freddie Gibbs was an unproven talent, and I naturally questioned his ability to keep up with Madlib’s impeccable instrumentals. He more than satisfies; Gibbs does a tremendous job at keeping up with Madlib’s production. The only issue with his rapping is that it’s hard to take Gibbs’ gruff voice for the length of all seventeen tracks on the album. The guest appearances do a good job of breaking it up and adding some variety, but by about halfway through the album you might find yourself tempted to tune out the raps, which is a shame, because some of Gibbs best moments on the album come in tracks five through nine. These same tracks also sometimes drag on a little bit too long; cutting five or ten minutes from the center of the album would have done wonders for the pacing. Once you get past that, however, Pinata finishes nicely, with the plethora of guest verses adding variety to the second half.

The combination of the rough Gangsta Gibbs and the unconventional Madlib seems like a somewhat incompatible one on paper, but the pair does have a strange charisma about them. Gibbs’ introspective, aggressive, and sometimes even anguished lyrics give us a portrait of the man’s life, and with Madlib’s production style, live up to Gibbs’ own characterization of the album as a “generic Blaxpoitation film on wax.” Perhaps it’s only fitting that the final product is a little hard to swallow whole.

TheBeardo (4.5)
Freddie Gibbs and Madlib have created something special here,Madlib further cements his place in the...

Chris Maitland (4)
Behold hip-hop's new dream team......

Bradley Harris (3.5)

March 18th 2014

My first attempt at writing a review. Don't go easy on me.

Digging: Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary

ok i wont.

negd

MikeC26

great album great review

MisterTornado
March 18th 2014

"if you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you"

Pheromone

Shitsville tho

Digging: Jeremy Enigk - Return of the Frog Queen

Chrisjon89
March 18th 2014

good review. Gibbs is a talented dude - that style's not really my thing but I liked it. Madlib is phenomenal again. he's as good as it gets.

SharkTooth
March 18th 2014

"...some comments about what you didn't like about the review would be appreciated"
but Oltna didn't..

Digging: Boylan - ima rockstar im not a rockstar

WeepingBanana
March 18th 2014

i can't stop listening to Harold's

March 18th 2014

Harold's might be my favorite song off this album.

Gwyn.

finally

Digging: Grief - Come to Grief

FearTomorrow

So like

this really is that good?

March 18th 2014

I figure the rating will stabilize between a 4.1 and a 4.2 but IMO this is a very strong contender for rap AOTY.

March 18th 2014

not as good as madvilliany but then again almost nothing is

doom is better than gibbs but that's the only reason why this isn't as good because madlib is incredible

Digging: Renounced - The Melancholy We Ache

March 18th 2014

gibbs and doom aren't really comparable but if you want to look like a noob pls continue smh

March 18th 2014

obviously i meant better suited for madlib's beats but i guess you played hooky on reading comprehension day

March 18th 2014

doom is better than gibbs

March 18th 2014

you really are a mongoloid

March 18th 2014

asap rocky avatar and then i stopped reading after "doom is better than gibbs". tbh i couldnt take it

Wadlez
March 18th 2014

I should have stopped reading after Oltnabrick