Scarface
Mr. Scarface Is Back

by Doc Funkenstein USER (3 Reviews)
March 15th, 2014 | 12 replies | 470 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Nobody knows my name, nobody knows my face On the farilla my nigga just call me Scarface"

Scarface, before this album, was known as one of the Geto Boys, a group that gained notoriety for their willingness to take extremes to their lyrical content, and as such they were not a ones to shy away from sex and violence. Their explicit tales of sex and violence put them and the entire southern United States on the map of hip-hop. Their explicit material is also a major factor in why this reason is called the 'dirty south' in the first place.
With this album, Scarface shys away (but only a LITTLE bit) from the Geto Boys' explicit style to present himself as a hard-to-get mafioso, and the rest you can pretty much foretell. Guns, violence, sex, running from the police, weed, crack, yatta-yatta. But it's not the subject matter that's being critiqued here, it's how that subject matter is presented. As this album starts, following a 7 second skit, we get 'Mr. Scarface is Back': the perfect introduction song to Scarface. The song swarms with activity both beat-wise and lyric-wise, the beat is in itself a hustle and bustle with all sorts of samples put together to match Scarface's own violent personality. 'A Minute To Pray A Second To Die' is where Scarface stretches his storytelling muscles and talks about a man who seeks vengeance after being the victim of a drive-by shooting. 'I'm Dead' is a continuation of that story

Let me begin this by saying that Scarface's rapping is great, he has an energetic delivery and has a good amount of witty punchlines to disperse throughout this 45 minute, 9 track album. Scarface has a good amount of personality, due to which the album manages to stay interesting throughout the run time. The production is funky, lively, and has that old-school flavor that very well suits the the guy's delivery.

The main problem with the album is it's consistency, the album can switch from memorable to mediocre pretty abruptly. In fact, this can be noticed noticed as the title track: Mr. Scarface Is Back is followed by The Pimp, by far this album's worst song. This is basically supposed to be a sex-rap. However, it completely fails as one, as Scarface carries his tendencies of being explicit here making it come across as juvenile, in turning losing the appeal of anyone of either gender. One of the things that is consistent to a fault, however, are the beats, which really lack diversity of any kind, and about halfway through start blending in with one another. Consequently, without Scarface's choruses, the listener would be hard pressed to differentiate one track from another.

Overall, this is a pretty solid debut from the man who would later be known as 'your favorite rapper's favorite rapper', and despite numerous issues, Scarface manages to carry the album with his presence. While not truly anything fantastic, it's a pretty good stepping stone to the long, influential career that is Scarface's. If you are interested in this album, however, you should try the Diary first, as it contains Scarface at his most eloquent, and the production crew behind him has much more experience under their belts, allowing for a much better experience in general.

thecreative0ne (4.5)
Scarface went solo, and made this fantastic album....

somberlain (4)
They might be the same tales of drugs and murder, but they’re just done better than most....

March 15th 2014

Lol I wrote this in 10 minutes, how is it?

Digging: High Tone - Ekphrön

Bump

ShadowRemains

19427 Comments

say hello to my 'lil friend

March 15th 2014

This sadly ain't that scarface (for one thing, it's in Texas)

[oh god, now I'm imagining Tony Montana in a 10 gallon hat]

alachlahol
March 16th 2014

scarface is gangster as hell

alachlahol
March 16th 2014

he kills more people than anyone i know

He's a born killer

LambsBread
March 16th 2014

I've never heard this album but here is my advice for the review:

1. Id just start the review with the second paragraph "Scarface, before this album, was known as...)
and delete the first.

2. Lines like "others are barely above meh" take away from the serious/formal tone your review
otherwise had.

3. " The Pimp is suppose to be" typo. supposed*

4. The comparison to BIG is just awkwardly worded, i'd say something like "He fails to make music
that appeals to both sexes, unlike Notorious BIG, because Scarface is..."

The whole part where you compare them is badly punctuated (too many commas) and hard to follow as a
reader because you jump back and forth with 'why big is good at this' to 'why scarface isn't like 5
times.

5. The review has a good intro, but there is no real outro or conclusion (other than "try the diary
first", which is good and should stay in the outro. Try to wrap up the gist of what you said in your
review in your conclusion in a simple way. Instead of putting them in the conclusion, the highlight
tracks should be worked into the other paragraphs - like the third paragraph when you talk about his
delivery, you could slip in "his flow, persona, delivery is good for X REASON as seen as on the
highlight track highlight track

6. I thought you did a good job of describing the sound of him as an artist relative to other
artists, but should probably say something about how he sounds on this album specifically vs his
other albums (so readers know which album to check out if they haven't ever heard him).

Anyway, I liked the review, it could have just been organized and worded better at some points, and
probably could have been slightly longer, with more focus on describing this album's highs and lows
specifically (saying it is inconsistent is kind of vague, is it the beats that make it this way or
what? I know you tried to address this with the comparison to BIG but it was hard to follow).

March 16th 2014

Thanks, it knew it needed work, I just needed to know where

LambsBread
March 17th 2014

it looks good now, but

1. I would put the 5th paragraph into your 2nd paragraph, and talk about why each of those songs is good specifically

2. combine the 4th and 6th paragraph.

3. In the first indent of your first paragraph, it sounds like you have a good idea to talk about, but "their willingness to take extremes to their lyrical content, and as such they were not a ones to shy away from sex and violence." is kind of generic and vague and/or hard to follow as a reader.

otherwise the rest is good and I don't see any problems

March 17th 2014

I'll fix it when I can

April 2nd 2014

Well someone negged both my reviews, and I'm quite sure I know who did that...