Vinterriket
Winterschatten

by A.K. USER (65 Reviews)
April 10th, 2006 | 9 replies | 3,786 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

It has become a normal combination in the black metal scene to make dark ambient music along with black metal. While some bands fail miserably (see Abruptum) others are more successful in their dark ambience (see Lurker of Chalice). I would like to think that Vinterriket is one of the better Black Metal/Ambient bands. Formed in late 90s Christoph Ziegler Vinterrikets lone member has released a ridiculous amount of cds. I don't know what the rest of his cds sound like but if they are all as good as Winterschatten that would be incredible.

THE REVIEW

It is a bit redundant to do the review track by track so instead I will review the album as one piece. It just first be observed that even though the album has 3 cds (why I don't know) it has a regular full-length running time. The style of Vinterrikets ambience reminds me a little bit of Windirs ambient parts. They have a type of electronic influence to them almost techno-ish. I will say however that these ambient parts have frozen cold atmospheres, much more so than any other band I have ever heard. The tonal quality of the synths alone is bone-chilling. The drumming on the cd seems to be programmed. There are extremely fast double bass parts and also ethnic bongos(?) in a few songs. The metal songs still incorperate synth but they also have vocals which the ambient tracks do not. The vocals sound a bit like Hvit Lyset Tar Oss-era Varg, except these vocals are completey in the background. It is absolutely impossible to understand anything. Nevertheless they enhance the general mood and are goo contributions to their song. The guitars are nothing out of the ordinary, sticking mainly with tremelo picking and power chords. I think what really makes this band so great are the synth parts. For an idea of their sound check out "Eisege Feuer" and "Das Ewige Eis". The songs do get a bit repetitive with strings being repeated a large amount of times befre the lead key parts come in. The lead parts are of course not technical, but some are only one note and still create an awesome atmosphere.

My recomendation would be, if you are a fan of black atmospheric keyboard stuff, then go out and get this. BE WARNED this is not happy melodic black metal keyboard wanking. I think it can be most compared to the atmosphere that Varg achieves in the beginning of Det Som Engang Var.

Pros
-Great general feel
-Great Vocals
-Great Keys
-Great Drums

Cons
-Somewhat repetitive
-Vocals very low in the mix

4/5

Ered Wethrin All Song CeasedForest Foredooming the Hope for Eternity
Emyn Muil Túrin Turambar Dagnir GlaurungaDeafheaven Sunbather
Kreuzweg Ost Iron AvantgardeLunar Aurora Hoagascht

the2stranger

He, awesome review.
never heard this band, I like the fact that the synths are so high in the mix.
I'm a nut for keys.
Nice, short but good descriptive review.

Weird that it comes with 3 cds :confused:
I don't like changing cd's so that might be a con for me, but I will check this out.

Keep up the good work!
This Message Edited On 04.10.06

Electric City
April 10th 2006

[quote=review]BE WARNED this is not happy melodic black metal[/quote]

There's happy melodic Black Metal? WTF?

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

Silenius

[QUOTE=the2stranger]He, awesome review.
never heard this band, I like the fact that the synths are so high in the mix.
I'm a nut for keys.
Nice, short but good descriptive review.

Weird that it comes with 3 cds

Keep up the good work![/QUOTE]
Thanks man.

If you like keys definitley check this out.

[QUOTE=MusicOfficial101]There's happy melodic Black Metal? WTF?[/QUOTE]
Catamenia and such, they're not really happy but next to LLN stuff it sounds rather light.

Apocalyptic Raids

Sounds interesting. Nice review

Aakon_Keetreh
April 11th 2006

I have heard of them before but i have not bothered to check them out.

RiceMonster
April 11th 2006

Good review. Out of the three Vinterriket albums I've heard, this is only behind Finsternis. I agree with you on the vocals being too low in the mix. Seems intentional too because its not the only time he's done it. Strange.

Ticondaroga
November 4th 2010

me likes

DarkNoctus
November 4th 2010

Cons:
-Vocals very low in the mix

with vocals this blatantly distorted, i see this as a good thing

November 2nd 2012