Drive-by Truckers
English Oceans

by BigHans USER (108 Reviews)
March 11th, 2014 | 54 replies | 3,403 views

Release Date: 03/04/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Road House Rock

If you’ve seen the movie “Road House” you know what I mean when describing something as “dusty.” It’s that overtone of gin-soaked doors, dirty-as-hell desert windows, endless highways littered with cheap beer cans, and most importantly, f*cking Sam Elliott’s mustache. Jeff Healy (RIP) was the official house band where Pat Swayze (RIP Hard) kicked major goon ass at the Double Deuce, but if the Drive-By Truckers had been around back then, there absolutely could not have been a better choice for the soundtrack to sweaty naked broads getting seduced on bar-room washing machines, fat rednecks in suspenders flying across the room in bare-knuckled brawls, and skinny dudes with Britny Fox hair acting as coolers while banging the town doctor on the side and ripping the bad guy’s henchman’s throat out at the river’s edge.

In other words, the Truckers are a rad southern rock band. And with “English Oceans,” they’re back in rattlesnake biting form after a two album stint in suckage. The Truckers have historically rode a trade-off between band leader Patterson Hood and the more proficient, yet less omnipresent lyrical hit man Mike Cooley, whose contributions have usually been superior. Out of the all-time top 10 badass Trucker tunes, Cooley is responsible for at least 7. The gravelly voice is perfect for backwoods-sister-ramming narration, and the metaphorical characterizations of all of those straight up SumBitches in the Dirty South are under Cooley’s wings.

“English Oceans” finds Hood in top form to match Cooley’s prolific output. The Truckers continue to ride their southern rock/alt country/classic rock hybrid sound into that damn dusty sunset, but this time around the material is consistently better than anything they’ve done since “The Dirty South,” which in in its own right is one of the top 5 most underrated albums of its decade. The band’s charm has always been in detailing the mishaps of f*ckups cascading across barroom riffs and smoldering ballads, and “English Oceans” doesn’t belie their heritage. It’s just a hell of a lot better than anything they’ve put out in 10 years. From the filth groove powered “Sh*t Shots Count” to the sprawling, melodic “Grand Canyon,” Hood and Cooley meet each other in the middle. After 25 years, it’s about time.

The Hold Steady Teeth DreamsPaw Dragline
Ranger Knights of DarknessGrim Reaper Rock You To Hell
Machine Head Machine Fucking Head LiveRush Permanent Waves
3.2
good

March 11th 2014

If youve never heard this band, The Dirty South and Southern Rock Opera are much better records, but for fans, this won't disapoint.

SitarHero

Sweet review hans. Patrick Swayze RIP

March 11th 2014

"sweaty naked broads getting seduced on bar-room washing machines, fat rednecks in suspenders flying across the room in bare knuckled brawls, and skinny dudes with Britny Fox hair acting as coolers while banging the town doctor on the side and ripping the bad guy’s henchman’s throat out at the river’s edge"

you have a gift for conjuring up visceral images

Digging: Nemrud - Journey of the Shaman

ExcentrifugalForz
March 11th 2014

Not been a fan of theirs lately, it would be great if this is as good as you say

Digging: Renaissance - Grandine il Vento

March 11th 2014

opening riff on first song sounds mightily familiar but cant remember for the life of me where i heard it before

Killerhit
March 11th 2014

weren't these bastards on conan

March 11th 2014

oh yeh sex pistols holidays in the sun

manosg
March 11th 2014

Have listened only to Southern Rock Opera by these guys and I found it good. I may give this one a spin.

Digging: Saviour Machine - Saviour Machine I

Kris.
March 11th 2014

this is jason isbell's old band right? his solo stuff is amazing

March 11th 2014

Thanks Mena, but I was really just describing the movie.

If you havent seen it, do so immediatley.

March 11th 2014

yes i watched it yonks ago, but your description is great

March 11th 2014

Kris, yeah this is the one. Isbell rules.

March 11th 2014

Manosg, this is good but if youre looking for another Truckers album, spin The Dirty South first, that album destroys.

greg84
March 11th 2014

So this is actually good. I'll check out. Cool review!

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

March 11th 2014

If you’ve seen the movie “Road House” you know what I mean when describing something as “dusty.” It’s that overtone of gin soaked doors, dirty-as-hell desert windows, endless highways littered with cheap beer cans, and most importantly, f*cking Sam Elliott’s mustache. Jeff Healy (RIP) was the officially house band where Pat Swayze (RIP Hard) kicked major goon ass at the Double Deuce, but if the Drive-By Truckers had been around back then, there absolutely could not have been a better choice for the soundtrack to sweaty naked broads getting seduced on bar-room washing machines, fat rednecks in suspenders flying across the room in bare knuckled brawls, and skinny dudes with Britny Fox hair acting as coolers while banging the town doctor on the side and ripping the bad guy’s henchman’s throat out at the river’s edge.

omg, intro of the year, please never never stop writing

[2]

Mad.
March 11th 2014

Damn, props for reviewing this! I asked our staffer JViney to but you beat him to it, and what a review it is.

Very underrated band, glad this is good

Digging: Anubis - Hitchhiking to Byzantium

thanks boys, m/ Captain

March 11th 2014

Just listened to Shit Shots Count and Pauline Hawkins. SSC gave me kinda a Stones feel. I naturally like the Pauline Hawkins the most though cuz it Sam Elliot's hard. When them vox came in I actually felt a little nasty. There's some pretty good live vids of these dudes on YT as well. I do wish the production was a little more 'dirty' but pre-dece. The music actually reminds me of my dad a bit. And although not entirely related, I even get a slight Dillon vibe on Made Up English Oceans. Overall, I can't say that I entirely enjoy this but I do appreciate it for nostalgic reasons.

March 11th 2014

hell yeah Captain. If you want to hear a really bad ass song listen to the jam "The Devil Dont Stay" off The Dirty South.