Mindless Self Indulgence
Frankenstein Girls Will...

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
April 9th, 2006 | 100 replies | 26,002 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Oh, Mindless Self Indulgence, how the times have treated you. I remember as if it were only a few days ago that I discovered you, Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy. We had some good times, you and I. Over your 30 tracks that average around a minute and forty-eight seconds, I find comfort in the knowledge that, and no one else, am listening to you at that moment. At least, thatís what I like to think. Oh, you were a feisty one all right. When I first picked you up, FGWSSS, I vehemently denied. Oh sure, I thought you had some interesting ideas and drum beats, but I mean, you were industrial, and I ever so hated industrial. I in fact, wished the guy from Nine Inch Nails would have just become one of the things from that one video; the name escapes me now, but that matters not. All that matters is that I have found you once again, my dear, dear FGWSSS.

It may have taken me a while, but I eventually saw your charm and wit. Even though you may have warned me at first (in a rather backhanded wayÖwhy did you have that mask on, anyways?), I couldnít help it. Youíre lyrics about devouring young, about how you wanted to simply murderize me, they all seemed so harmless and fun. Your declaration that ďbitches love me" just entranced my whole being, especially with the old school hip-hop feel you put behind it. Honestly, you had me at ďand go go gogogogo kill yourself."

Your humor just appealed to me so. Sure, many people called you disgusting, overly violent, woman hating, a gay basher, but I saw past all of that. It was just a laugh fest whenever you were around. Nothing in particular you said was funny in and of itself, you were just so un-pc and shocking to me, I couldnít help but chuckle at some of your classic lines. Can you forget when you said ďI been denied all the best ultra sex", and we just died of laughter? I canít. You also had such a good sense flow, I was always stunned at the way you spit out your romantic lines toward me. ďHome girls attention you must pay" was so memorable, I made a little widget for it.

In conclusion, I love you FGWSSS. When weíre together, I just feel that special feeling that I normally only get while watching one of those ďa special episode of Walker, Texas Ranger". Namely, itís a warm, fuzzy feeling, and my toesies curl up, and I have a cup of hot chocolate. You are the only reason I can stand industrial to this day, Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy, and for that you deserve all the love I can give you. Oh, Mindless Self Indulgence, how the times have treated you.

That is a clear indication of how much I love this album. It also was a nice and easy way of expressing that this album obviously isnít for everyone. The lyrics are incredibly offensive, very few albums with vocals so clean come close to how brutal this album is. The lyrics I shared above are not close to how far this album goes. Even if you can take a gay joke here or there, you may be best left never bothering to figure out what the lyrics are, or probably never checking this album out.

However, if you have a very, very, very good (some may say dark or abysmal, but I disagree) sense of humor, you can check some of the best music put out this millennium. MSI explore a myriad of styles, from hip hop on tracks such as Bitches, a high octane track that some may recognize the opening to, to a nu metal sound on what could possibly the best song on the album, I Hate Jimmy Page. On the track, Mr. Urine basically makes a huge anti-nu metal sentiment. At least, I hope thatís what heís saying. But considering very often it all seems to be random babbling, itís very hard to verify anything.

This album, no matter how I may have come off earlier, is grand. Its 30 tracks of just audio garbage, but its audio garbage that just makes sense. Although there are obviously weak tracks scattered throughout, the album is 30 songs long, of course itís going to have its share of mediocrity. Someone decided to classify MSI as industrial, and I am not going to change that. However, they combine so many elements, from hip hop, electronica, industrial, metal, and even nu metal that this album just canít be looked as anything other than a masterpiece. I recommend this album to three types of people: Those who love music in general, and wont will just enjoy this for what it is; those with an incredibly dark sense of humor (youíll find this album a godsend);and to those who, like me, are looking for something that, 6 years after itís release, is still an incredibly fresh breath of air and a classic album in its own right. I loved this album, and will to my grave, and if you disagree, well, as Urine states on I Hate Jimmy Page, ďYouíre so wrong with yo jive you donít know me".

Band members:
Little Jimmy Urine- Lead Vocals, Programming
Steve, Righ?- Lead guitar, backup vocals
Vanessa TY/Lyn-Z- Bass Guitar (Past/Present)
Kitty- Drums

Washboard Leo Thomas Louisiana BluegrassCrusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...
Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria BluesLos Campesinos! No Blues
Arcade Fire ReflektorTouche Amore Is Survived By
Kristenyo (4.5)
FSGWSSS will probably be on repeat, whether audibly out loud, or in your head, you will not be able ...

Derek Marchewka (3.5)
Mindless Self Indulgence presents fast beats, vulgar themes, and over the top antics in this multi-t...

damientheomen (5)

April 9th 2006

Ack, fuxxed up rating on the first go round.

EDIT: An once again, editing my review has caused the basc code to dissapear. I don't see why it does this to me, and why it wont fix no matter what I do. *Shoots self in foot*This Message Edited On 04.09.06

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

pattern_recognition
April 9th 2006

Iluvatar, I like my coffee black, just like my metal, but I still can't give this five stars. Three and a half, because you got on my good side with the Walker: Texas Ranger reference.
Nice review.

Unhappy_Dean
April 9th 2006

Classic seems like you're going a bit too far for MSI. While I like MSI, I just cant see this album as being one of the best albums of 2000 another five years from now. But who knows?
Another great review, btw.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks

The Sludge
April 10th 2006

You took my first review.... i'm a little sad now..... it looks like i'll just have to review Winger. I'm not looking forward to it, but i'll survive.

Nice review though, mine wouldnt have been as good though

The Jungler
April 10th 2006

Nice review, I've heard alot about these guys, but I've never checked them out. I guess this would be a good place to start

kno_kontrol
April 10th 2006

good review, but Ive heard much better from you

Cain
April 10th 2006

If an album with 30 songs that you describe as "just audio garbage--that makes sense" and "has its fair share of mediocrity [due to the number of songs]," how does this still deserve a "five?" How has this album influenced a scene, culture, or music trend in any groundbreakingly important way? Why does this deserve a five if an eleven-song album that has NO mediocre songs doesn't get a five? By what criteria other than your own personal enjoyment are you rating this an undeniable bonafide "classic?"

April 10th 2006

There has never been an album in the industrial genre as varied and as interesting as this, and few are more impressive. I'm not going to back it up anymore; a large part of any rating is personal enjoyment, and despite how a large amount of the sputnik posters may think that to be a classic, you have to strongly impact something, I still do believe that if you put out an incredible album, that no one draws influence from in general merely becase it would be redundant, that a 5 is still justified. I'd also this thread not turn into a classic-rating argument, so meh. Whatever.

EDIT: oh, and out of context quotes ftw!This Message Edited On 04.10.06

DanD
April 10th 2006

While upon the first few listens this album/band is pretty enjoyable. MSI's biggest flaw, in my opinion, is that they get old and annoying really quick. This album/band is definitely not worth a 5 rating.

Salsabandana
April 21st 2006

While I don't like your eulogy-styled review, big-ups on highlighting what FGWSSS provides the listener.

Bron-Yr-Aur
April 28th 2006

Good review. "I Hate Jimmy Page"? provocative... Ah well. You get my vote anyway.

April 28th 2006

Even looking back on this just about 3 weeks into the future, this is a pretty bad review. I highlighted everything pretty well, but I didn't articulate myself nearly as well as I could have on why it deserves a 5, which I still stand firmly by today.

Bron-Yr-Aur

I enjoyed it.

REfan

god, this band sux

NEDM
May 7th 2006

I like MSI, but this album had too many "stopping moments in the middle of a song". Like... this is what... I... meant.

May 7th 2006

I personally think the breaks are great, but meh, I see why people don't like MSI and this album. I just happen to believe its brilliance.

calgone
May 13th 2006

definitely my favorite msi album..
excellent review

holy crapper
May 15th 2006

very good album from a very good band.

The Sludge
July 15th 2006

I'll show you how, official midgets jack me off.