Millencolin
Same Old Tunes

by Red Cap Brain USER (6 Reviews)
April 9th, 2006 | 14 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Punk made in Sweden. Sounds strange? Maybe, but it doesnīt matter where the music comes from, the quality is important. And what Millencolin deliver us with their debut from 1994 is one of the best punk records ever. Itīs not well known because their commercial success started with "Life On A Plate" which is the most famous records from them along with "Pennybridge Pioneers.

Line Up:

Nikola Sarcevic - Vocals, Bass
Matthias Färm - Guitars
Erik Ohlsson - Guitars
Fredrik Larzon - Drums

The Instuments:

On later records Nikola has a lower voice than here but itīs still low. His voice is very unique. At least I donīt know a singer who sounds similar to him. Maybe itīs because of his slight Yugoslavian accent. He always sings clean like itīs general in the punk genre.

Nikolaīs real instrument is the bass. According to the song "Devil Me" heīs not an ace on bass whatīs not that right in my opinion. Sure, he is no Flea or Cliff Burton but heīs an independent bass player who does not always follow the guitar lines what makes his instrument more interesting to the listeners. His skills are mostly shown on the skasongs.

Matthias and Erik share their lead and rhythm parts so they work more like a team. Punk is a simple and not really creative genre but the the two have a very unique special sound what many punk bands do not have. Sometimes one of them also plays a solo like on "Dance Craze" whatīs also very unusual in punk.

Frederik is the only one of them who has nothing unique cause he plays usually the standart punk drumbeat, Bass, Snare, Bass, Snare or something similar. In some songs faster, in some slower. To non punk listeners almost every song would be boring cause of the same beat over and over. But on later records he shines along with the other cause he does also other beats. So the drumming is the only little contra.

The Lyrics:

Itīs logical that teenager lyrics donīt are about war, society and such politic things what I think is very fresh in the punk scene. When I hear Punk my mood increases rapidly cause of the "Have Fun Sound". These lyrics fit better together than like for instance Pennywise who write good lyrics, mostly political, but they donīt belong to their sound in my opinion. Millencolin combine seriousness and fun what is an important pro. So the result is, you can listen to this in funny and serious times. Topics: Drugs, bananas =), bouncers, lack of creativity, bowling, guilty consciences, peer pressure and so on.

The Sound and The Music:

Like most debutīs "Same Old Tunes" sounds raw and unpolished. It has a very audible underground sound like no other record from them. Thatīs what this record makes so special, the young freshness from some teenagers.

I would do a track by track but itīs difficult with this songs because they always follow two formulas - what does not mean that itīs boring. Either itīs a skasong or a very fast punk song. These two formulas vary and complement another perfectly, so it doesnīt get boring.

The Rating:

The Einstein Crew: 4.5
Take It Or Leave It: 4

Underground Punklisteners: 5/5
Other: 2.5/5

Hope you enjoyed reading this. =)

Limp Bizkit New Old SongsLimp Bizkit The Unquestionable Truth - Part I
Staind 14 Shades of GreyRoadrunner United The All-Star Sessions
Slipknot Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat.

April 9th 2006

I really dont like the review format, and the review is decent. Also, I don;t get why you mentioned its a 2.5 outside of the genre, yet still gave it a 5. Normally you would average out the score. Oh well.

April 9th 2006

2.5 because itīs very undergroundsounding. I donīt think that the fast drumming appeals to many listeners. I mentioned it in my review.

April 9th 2006

But thanks for your point of view.

Storm In A Teacup

An awesome band.

April 9th 2006

Uh, thats not why I was pointing it out Red Cap, but thanks for the recognition.

And yeah, they're actually pretty good, I just refuse to admit so in public.

lol

April 9th 2006

But in fact itīs good that you have mentioned what you didnīt like, so I know which think I should improve.

things not think *sorry*

April 9th 2006

You can edit posts, you know. Option shows up right below your username. Over and out.

TakeWarning
April 10th 2006

One of my favourites of all times.

Brilliant from start to finish.This Message Edited On 04.10.06

kno_kontrol
April 10th 2006

Definitely a classic album. Its about time someone reviewed this. Mr. Clean is probably my favorite Millencolin song next to Bullion

Pretty good review as well, although a little bit unorthodox

NEDM
April 27th 2006

This band isn't underground, therefore I can't see why someone that listens to underground punk would like it more. Other than that one little problem, it was an alright review.

millencolinariast
March 28th 2008

take it or leave it has the weirdest ending LOL

xfearbefore
April 24th 2014

I don't know, Millencolin is pretty underground to me. I mean, you ask most people about the band and they wouldn't know who you're talking about. Maybe in Sweden.

Mr. Clean is in fact, awesomesauce. I remember being reaaaally into these guys when I heard "No Cigar" for the first time in the second Tony Hawk Pro Skater game.