Love American
Hollow Crosses

by William Lim USER (20 Reviews)
March 4th, 2014 | 20 replies | 2,065 views

Release Date: 02/11/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A good death.

For whatever reason, it's actually on this farewell EP that Los Angeles post-hardcore up-and-comers-that-never-quite-came Love American cement their sound. While I honestly think that the band’s Javier-era split with Harbours was their career peak, Disquiet was a record that should have had a lot more impact but took a crowbar to the kneecaps with its thin DIY production and shaky transition in style. The (second) break-up announcement coming right off the heels of the release of “It’s Dangerous to Go Alone”--honestly one of the best songs they’d ever written--was some heartbreaking stuff indeed, but with the band’s discography essentially being one admittedly small collection of promising starts, you couldn’t blame them for not following through. The release of this final EP comes as a farewell statement from a band that could have been strong enough to go further than one lousy Defeater support if they decided to stick around, but like so many great bands of olde, it just wasn’t meant to be.

In addition to the typical mix of Suis La Lune-type skramz and melody-heavy The Fall of Troy post-hardcore, Hollow Crosses fittingly resolves most of the annoying little mishaps that plagued Disquiet, which is essential in understanding Love American’s accomplishment on this release. For one thing, there's actually real production here, cue a round of applause for former bassist Aaron Mould of Eager Sea. The amount of confidence that the band displays is also more than we've heard from them in a while; the hesitant, forced structures and homogeneity of Disquiet is replaced by perfectly natural composition work and just the right amount of variety (or lack of variety) to yield zero filler whilst keeping the EP’s aesthetic “feel” focused. That “feel” is one of powerful anguish manifested from melancholy chords and strained screams but coupled with the hopeful undertones of Adam Thomas and Hans Cruz’s guitar melodies; this time around, Hollow Crosses has the production values and concentrated songwriting to truly convey this sound without a hitch. As a final icing of the cake, it's nice to hear Adam handle his vocals properly for once.

As much as I wish this was a full-length, Love American letting the Wes Dream die with Hollow Crosses is a move that I cannot fault for even a second. It’s meaningful, hardhitting, and easily the best thing the band’s done in years, but it closes at a strange place in that there are only two members of the band’s final lineup on this record. It’s a sendoff that is musically so triumphant even though the band is clearly buried so deep in the ground, but it’s simultaneously an affirming statement on the merit of Love American: that regardless of whatever has splintered the band, these are four songs worth holding onto.

I wanna hold on to this heart / to these hands / for just a second longer / than I can

Troubled Medium WHAT ARE YOU DOINGBrave Bird T-Minus Grand Gesture
Waxahatchee American WeekendMilhouse Thrillhouse
Cap'n Jazz Shmap'n ShmazzGeorgia Maq Friends and Bowler's Run

March 4th 2014

So, this is up on Bandcamp but you're not supposed to get it from there because apparently
Bandcamp fucked up their conversion or something and it sounds "clippy".

Instead, get the masters straight from MediaFire.

Also, here's the original version of "It's Dangerous to Go Alone" because it sounds mad raw.

Digging: My Psychoanalyst - Choreomania

Irving

I laughed.

March 4th 2014

Hans Cruz is an original member and has been on every release. He plays all the leads on this.

Hopelust
March 4th 2014

Thought this was American Nightmare/Give Up The Ghost reborn.

Edits made.

TheRubberbandMan

good review

wag

19437 Comments

this is pretty damn good

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

Kris.
March 4th 2014

i met these guys once bought their vocalist a soda pretty cool guys

Aids
March 8th 2014

this is awesome, way better than I expected

good way to send them off

I like the new versions of Waves and It's Dangerous.... significantly more than previous versions.

Nikkolae
March 8th 2014

got featured on The Elementary Revolt, you lucky fuckers.

Digging: We Came Out Like Tigers - Ever-Crushed at Pecket's Well

March 9th 2014

They covered our split and LP too I believe.

@adrian glad you like it duder

Spec
March 9th 2014

It's dangerous to go alone was actually really good damn.

PuddlesPuddles
March 9th 2014

Obligatory 'It's Dangerous' is really good, although I'm no weathervane in the genre.

Hope you're planning for future projects

March 9th 2014

Thanks! It's my favorite song I've been a part of. I've got another band I'm working on that's in the vein of stuff like Grown Ups and the like. We should have something out this summer.

Oh snap. Just saw this on ToxicBreed's Funhouse. Sup pushpit cred

April 4th 2014

sofaking good

Butkuiss
April 25th 2014

Came back and listened to this again today. I miss the raw, cavernous feeling the demos had back when these tracks were meant to be on a split with Statuette, but that's probably just because I got so used to listening to them like that.

Production is amazing, performances are top notch, and It's Dangerous is the best song in LA's discog. Fitting end for the band.

April 25th 2014

Looking back on the 4 years we were active it makes it look like this sound was a slow evolution, but the ideas all these songs were born out of were rather old. The original demo for Waves was recorded in 2010, the first half of Sohl was written in 2011, It's Dangerous to Go Alone was written over a night in May 2012, and most of Penitent Man was written in August 2012. The process more was shedding off shit we did just because we thought it was cool for what we actually liked.

June 10th 2014

The "final" release by Southern California Screamo/Post Hardcore outfit Love American. Final will remain in quotes because knowing this band there will probably be an urge to record and release more music in the future.
--Toxicbreed.