Y&T
Contagious

by Kj USER (33 Reviews)
March 3rd, 2014 | 21 replies

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Temptationnnnnnnnnnn, you make it so hard to say no!"

History has it that the 80's were a time of ridiculous wardrobes, men wearing abnormally tight pants, and of course, mainstream hard rock jams that 99% of the time dealt with sex. The vast majority of hair metal bands from this era had more in common with the glam scene than that of actual metal titans like Dio, Maiden and Priest. Dave Mustaine famously created an acronym for GLAM- "Gay L.A. Metal." In hindsight, there were a handful of bands from this era actually worth a damn; Y&T was one such group who was able to straddle that extremely thin line between glam and retaining some level of musical credibility.

With song titles like "Boys Night Out", "Armed and Dangerous", and "Rhythm or Not (Here She Comes Again)", Y&T isn't much different from the glam bands that ruled the airwaves 3 decades ago. But unlike their peers, vocalist Dave Meniketti uses a style that is more in line vintage David Lee Roth than a glamster who had a fist quickly rammed in his anal sphincter. Jimmy Degrasso, who would later play for the likes of Megadeth, Dokken and Alice Cooper and among others, gives a solid performance on the drum kit - relying on simple beats with occasionally complex fills.

Also separating Y&T from the rest of the hair metal pack is the fact that there are no diluted ballads created for radio purposes that felt forced to begin with. In fact, there are no ballads at all. Y&T engineered Contagious to be a fun album from beginning to end, completely neglecting slow, cliché nonsense about roses, rain, and heartbreak. All Y&T care about is smashing on hot women and having a good time, which I can respect. Couple that with some upper level guitar playing (for the time period) and it is clear to see that Y&T, if nothing else, are a bit manlier than their counterparts.

Y&T's biggest selling point is undoubtedly Meniketti's vocals. Most of the songs are laughable if taken seriously, but they're not intended to rival Beethoven's No. 9 - they're intended to form an upbeat soundtrack to getting drunk and doing stuff you'll later regret. In a way, the raunchiness is satisfying. If Americans had more exposure to Y&T in the '80s, the band surely would've seen exponential growth since frankly these guys blow cheesewads like Poison and Cinderella out of the water.

Evergrey Hymns for the BrokenSoilwork The Living Infinite
Bullet for My Valentine Temper TemperFlaw Through the Eyes
Clint Black Killin' TimeNevermore Utopia (Demo)

March 3rd 2014

This needed a quick write up. And there are some really well-done songs on it.

March 3rd 2014

earthshaker rocks, might check this out

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

March 3rd 2014

Good call, mena. Definitely a semi-guilty pleasure of mine.

sweet review man

March 3rd 2014

no guilt required, loads of good honest hard rock songs on earthshaker and 2 immense ballads in rescue me and i believe in you (the guitar solos on i believe in you, oh man)

JamieTwort

20741 Comments

One of the few relatively well-known hair metal bands I haven't listened to much. I should change that.

Great review, KJ. Although I can't say I appreciate the Cinderella hate/criticism at the end, they made some great bluesy hair metal/hard rock.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

March 3rd 2014

As always, thanks Hans & JT.

And yeah Mena, while Y&T has a lot of corny (but still enjoyable) stuff, they have some legitimately awesome material too. Underrated band; definitely give them some time, JT.

March 3rd 2014

Dont know much from these guys except

Summertime GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS

March 3rd 2014

ive got the night songs lp somewhere, that guy had a killer pout

JamieTwort

20741 Comments

Night Songs rules. As does Long Cold Winter.

March 3rd 2014

got that guy's voice in my head now screeching Niiiight Soooongs, need listen again

March 3rd 2014

reviewed Long Cold Winter hard under an alt that I only used for one day, should bring it back.

Do it bro.

And we can't forget this sweet ballad:

TOUCH BY TOUCHHHHH, LITTLE BY LITTLE
I'LL UNCHAIN YOUR HEART
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

March 3rd 2014

didnt y&t go all pop metaly tho ?

March 3rd 2014

I don't know honestly, I haven't listened to any of their stuff after the early '90s.

bookmarked for tomm

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

Swee.

Album:

March 4th 2014

bbbbbbbooooooyssss niiiighhhhhhht out in the ciiiiiiiiiitttttttttttyyyyyyyyy

March 4th 2014

some pretty faithful riffs on dis

YEAH YOU LOOK SOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL