CHON

by Jade Royal EMERITUS
March 2nd, 2014 | 74 replies

Release Date: 03/04/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: RIYL: fun, jazz-fusion sugar & highly programmed percussion

One of the biggest reasons to celebrate CHON’s recent output is that it came so close to not existing in the first place. It isn’t that the instrumental progressive (or something) band broke up at any point- no, the songs at hand simply ceased to be a priority for any of its members for awhile. In short: life got in the way. So while the Camarena brothers and company worked their asses off to pay the bills, those of us who were floored from their 2008 demo wondered if the instrumental electricity of “Across the Spectrum” was the last we’d hear from this batch of San Diego musicians.

Fast forward to 2014: we’ve got two more EPs from CHON, both of which explore jazz-fusion sensibilities and forego the frenetic post-hardcore of their demo. By and large, Woohoo! (I know, I KNOW, that name) is less a stylistic leap than last year’s Newborn Sun; the former finds a niche in the fusion style introduced in the latter. Jams like “Sketch” hark back to the math-rock acrobatics with which CHON has recently acquainted itself, while the mellower “Knot” directs the group’s technical proficiency in a more reserved direction. Not all the changes at hand are as subtle, though; bassist Drew Pelisek’s vocals in “Ecco” are bound to be the major conversation piece of Woohoo!. For directing the first CHON song to sport vocals, they’re rather baseless- his voice wavers in and out of tune, constraining the song instead of properly heading it. Pelisek’s singing would fit right in with an up-and-coming emo group, but here? They’re external to what these guys are best at. Even more concerningly, they exist alongside surprisingly diluted instrumentation: something I’ve never been able to honestly say about CHON.

The truth of the matter is that “Ecco” says all the important things about this release. The song implies a band that’s thrilled to be getting its time in the spotlight (after all, these guys are currently touring with Animals As Leaders), but it also implies a band struggling to achieve genuine innovation. But!- for a band that started off on such an undeniably sweet note, it’s hard not to expect the world out of them. Let's give them more time to make their collective mark as musicians, and develop they shall.

Fero Lux No RestSuis La Lune Distance/Closure
bansheebeat LumineKendrick Lamar To Pimp a Butterfly
Bjork VulnicuraStolas Allomaternal

March 2nd 2014

stream here: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-chon-premiere-entire-ep-woohoo.html

also, interview w/ them should be up in the very near future

Digging: clipping. - Splendor and Misery

psandy
March 2nd 2014

Jesus Christ that is catchy. Great review.

North0House2
March 2nd 2014

I still just can't get over their name.

Digging: Street Sects - End Position

March 2nd 2014

There were many that thought CHON was a Sputnik meme, nothing more

And thanks man =] nice reviewing again

North0House2
March 2nd 2014

Hahahaha I remember that. But nah, I just don't really find their name viscerally appealing, so I probably won't really listen. I'm glad this band's getting some good recognition though.

March 2nd 2014

THAT's your reason for not listening?!

Brostep

Diglett

dis is good shit

MikeC26
March 2nd 2014

yeah pretty much described how i feel about this

nice review, nice little ep

Calc
March 2nd 2014

i dunno what RIYL means...

Spec

Recommended if you like.

Calc

ah..

OwMySnauze
March 2nd 2014

Good job Omaha, I like your writing style. You're able to express and convey very easily. Something I can't do as well. Excited for this EP even if there's vocals on on track.

silentstar
March 2nd 2014

I knew this was going to be an Omaha review

cookies please!!

March 2nd 2014

Cookies en route, keep an eye out for them so they don't bring mold to your Playboy-addled P.O. box ;]

Snauze, thanks a lot man. It's comments like that that make me want to contribute to these parts more, though life has a tendency to get in the way.

March 2nd 2014

Out of all the curious things in the universe, Rubberband, I'm thrilled to be the subject of your perplexion

TheRubberbandMan
March 2nd 2014

i have all your reviews printed on my walls

paradox1216
March 3rd 2014

This review is entirely accurate, however I love "Ecco"

decoyoctopus
March 3rd 2014

Vocals hurt this. Otherwise this was very good, really loving it. Anyone know where I can find this to purchase or d/l (legally of course)?