Whispered
Shogunate Macabre

by Joxer The Mighty USER (20 Reviews)
March 2nd, 2014 | 39 replies | 5,444 views

Release Date: 02/07/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ai yai yai! Where's my samurai?

Whispered is a typical Finnish melodic death/power metal band, mostly revolving around sick riffs, fast-paced keyboard and guitar solos and raspy ”screamy” vocals. If you have ever heard bands such as Children of Bodom or Norther you basically know how Whispered sounds like in its core. While Whispered is true to this sound they are also a gimmick band, implementing traditional japanese instruments in their music and a samurai theme. It’s pretty cheesy but it still works really well in their favor since samurais are cool (obviously).

Shogunate Macabre is the second album released by Whispered and is a well-worthy follow-up to their extremely entertaining debut, Thousand Swords. Not only is it a fantastic album on its own but it’s actually an improvement from the firist one.

What does Shogunate Macabre better than Thousand Swords then?

This time around, Whispered have fired their keyboardist which also took care of the programming related to the japanese instruments. To remove the drilling keyobard solos from a Finnish melodic death metal band is pretty much like removing the meat from the bone but Whispered has really made it work. All the japanese instruments used in Thousand Swords such as the koto and the shamisen were all programmed but in Shogunate Macabre they are recorded and played proparly by humans which gives the album a much more organic feeling. Thousand Swords could sometime seem like a mess with the guitar riffs, standard keyboard and the japanese instruments but Shogunate Macabre is much more focused and the use of the japanese instruments is more delicately and well done. The overall production is also noticably better in Shogunate Macabre. All the instruments just have more impact than on Thousand Swords, especially the bass which is fantastically meaty.

Besides from being better than the debut, Shogunate Macabre is packed with memorable riffs, catchy choruses, classic japanese atmosphere and over the top epicness, but in the end, Shogunate Macabre isn’t really that original. I am, however, a huge sucker for both japanese culture and instruments and finnish melodic death so there was just no way I wouldn’t instantly fall in love with this. If you aren’t horny for any of those things then you will probably still think it’s pretty good, but not a 4.5-worthy modern masterpiece.

I Shall Move the Earth Blueprints MMXIIIPig Destroyer Prowler in the Yard
Rotting Christ Sanctus DiavolosEyeconoclast Drones of the Awakening
Emperor In the Nightside EclipseFeared Furor Incarnatus

Shamisen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamisen
Koto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koto_%28instrument%29

Just a few examples on instruments used in this album.

Album stream: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news/29962/Shogunate-Macabre-Stream/

This was porbably the first album I listened to in 2014. Some other great death metal albums from 2014 you might wanna check it are:

Abysmal Thresholds by Corpsessed: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/Corpsessed/27720/
Svn Eater by Lvcifyre: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/Lvcifyre/33535/

psyclonus
March 2nd 2014

i've been enjoying this album recently. to me, it sounds a bit like Starkill or even Carach Angren or Dimmu in places without being so dark. wish it had even more traditional Japanese interludes though

March 2nd 2014

"to me, it sounds a bit like Starkill or even Carach Angren or Dimmu in places without being so dark."

Yeh I can totaly get that. There is a lot of blast-beatin' here.

zaruyache
March 2nd 2014

This is better than those awful bands Carach and Dimmu, though.

Digging: Emerald Weapon - Part II: Earth Encrypted

Kusangii
March 2nd 2014

You bitch... you reviewed the wrong album!!
Just kidding, awesome work dude. This sounds pretty cool actually so I might check it out.

Haha! About that...

Thanks! And yeh you should totaly check it out, man. It's awesome.

March 2nd 2014

Green black and bluuuue make the colours in the sky.

And this band rules.

March 2nd 2014

yes! someone got the reference!

And this band rules. [2]

dismember55

And this band rules. [3]

March 2nd 2014

Hey it's you dismember did you ever get around to listening to the band you share a name with?

Tyrael
March 3rd 2014

20798 Comments

Hahaha that summary

10/10

March 3rd 2014

"10/10"
I deserve nothing less.

Nice 4. It's cool that someone else enjoyed this.

TheMoreira

March 8th 2014

This is great so far

Metalstyles
March 11th 2014

Didn't even notice you had reviewed this. Glad it has one though, album is all sorts of fun.

March 11th 2014

Sup, Magnus! Yeh, decided to write one really fast just so that it would hopefully get some recognition.

TheMoreira
March 11th 2014

I'm not even big on this sort of Melodeath apparatus, but this is just awesome. For what it's worth,
this is a solid 3.5 imo

Oh btw, great review Frozen, pos'd

March 12th 2014

Hey! Thanks, man! I'm glad you enjoyed the album.