Vales
Wilt And Rise

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
March 1st, 2014 | 10 replies

Release Date: 02/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: And build Vales do.

Two years ago I would have been all over this album. Stated it a classic, declared the era of Defeater dead and picked out my ideal gravesite and tombstone reading “life is complete”. In fact I sort of did that with my glowing review of their EP Clarity. In a way I already knew how I felt about Vales’ first proper release Wilt & Rise and what I wanted to say about before I even clicked play. Not to say I have some sort of commitment to the band, I might even say they owe me with this one – mostly to justify my absurd hyperbole – but to also prove they were worth the risk of praise. Well Wilt & Rise is finally here and, unsurprisingly, it makes me want to break out my thesaurus.

Clarity’s greatest asset was how succinct it was. The release benefited from its length allowing the songs to never overstay their welcome yet leaving the listener wanting more. An excellent teaser. Although the space between these two releases is large the fire only seems to have strengthened as Vales sound even more confident in their abilities keeping their brand of melodic hardcore fresh and energetic. Album opener “Dead Wood” is executed perfectly brimming with passion and gut wrenching vocals, but it more stems as the connection between the past and the road ahead. With Wilt Vales really bring to light their screamo influence often in between their rhythm based verses and soaring choruses; tracks like “Wildfire” and “Survival” work so well within this template because the band is so patient in letting the songs build.

And build Vales do. The songs seem to cascade off each other, the intervals between are moot as the pace simply continues to ascend. Minding the brief instrumental “Katrina” Wilt provides little recovery time and it’s ten track display is gratified by this. It helps keep in tow with that concise nature I was touting earlier providing a greater need and or meaning for each song.

Essentially this is another extension of the new wave, but it’s done so well. “White Horse” is a scary song of the year contender with its balanced aggression leading the soft melodies and highlighting what Vales do better than most – emotional hardcore. Wilt & Rise legitimizes Vales. They rode a familiar formula when first bursting onto the scene, but are now making a noise sounding all their own. This is what I heard two years ago ladies and gentlemen.