Carnifex
Die Without Hope

by Jacquibim CONTRIBUTOR (52 Reviews)
March 1st, 2014 | 90 replies | 3,677 views

Release Date: 03/04/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Die Without Hope is probably most frustrating in that it reeks of wasted potential"

Though it’s a total cliche to make note of deathcore’s less-than-stellar reputation, said cliche is an annoying necessity in the case of Carnifex’s latest opus Die Without Hope. There’s a curious sense of deja vu here, given that the album is being hailed as an apparent migration from the doldrums of deathcore to its more accomplished big brother death metal. Carnifex have – supposedly – gotten their shit together. Wind the clock back four years, and you’ll find the exact same praises being lumped upon the dreary Hell Chose Me. Whether a case of amnesia or shifting goal posts, the idea that Carnifex aren’t still firmly rooted in the ways of deathcore is a little ridiculous. Die Without Hope, while an improvement, is another underwhelming album from a band that continues to be their own worst enemy.

If early tracks such as “Dark Days” and “Condemned to Decay” were fair representations of the album as a whole, you could be forgiven for thinking Carnifex have made genuine strides. Though mundane chug-riffs and breakdowns still pervade the band’s sound like a virus, there is an increased attention to detail regarding the tremolo picked sections, and – believe it or not – a strong melodic presence. But once you get to the title track, Carnifex appear to regress back to their old ways, and the album quickly loses momentum. One of the biggest problems is Scott Lewis’ almost constant vocal presence, while his low-range growls are quite solid, his highs are comparatively weak. This is worsened when the two are – quite often – layered together to form an unintelligible and grating mess. Perhaps that’s a blessing in disguise though, because the lyrics that can be deciphered are laughable at best. Themes such as resentment of both one’s self and others as well as petty violence and revenge are rampant throughout Die Without Hope, with plenty of four-letter words thrown in for that extra dab of brutality.

Die Without Hope is probably most frustrating in that it reeks of wasted potential. Carnifex’s fervent for breakdowns notwithstanding, it’s no secret their instrumental aptitude has always been their biggest asset, but their collective mentality as a band routinely neuters potentially great songs. Tracks like the aforementioned two, as well as “Hatred and Slaughter” and the closer “Where the Light Dies” all contain energetic, infectious, melodic riffs and blast-happy drumming, but the overall execution of each song renders them inconsequential. All too often the riffs and drumming form a support mechanism for Scott’s annoying vocals, as opposed to taking centre stage as they rightfully should. As a result, the riffs aren’t able to capitalise on the dynamism they show, at least before a breakdown predictably stops the music in its tracks, forcing each and every song to continuously kick-start themselves over and over again to no avail. Even then, a lot of Carnifex’s misdemeanours could have been forgiven if it weren’t for tracks such as “Rotten Souls”, a lethargic exercise in second-rate brutality with some atrocious lyrics to boot. Amidst all the stifled capability, its numbers like this that reaffirm Carnifex haven’t, and probably never will evolve beyond mediocrity.

The only thing this album represents for Carnifex is a superficial stylistic tweak, while refusing to extend beyond the inherent – commonly stigmatised – banalities of their respective genre. Die Without Hope could have been something noteworthy, but instead the band’s conscious effort to limit their scope leaves it feeling exasperated and hackneyed.

Krusseldorf Fractal WorldSuicide Silence You Can't Stop Me
Origin OmnipresentRippikoulu Ulvaja
Incantation Dirges of ElysiumAutechre LP5
3.3
Darion Paone (2)
Die without more than four chords....

ExplosiveOranges (4)
Deathcore's untapped potential....

Brendan Schroer STAFF (3.2)
One foot in ambition, one foot in regression....

"4.5 superb Betray | February 26th 14

Like others have said, if the band that released this album wasn't Carnifex, elitist nerds would be eating this up.

2 Bumps | Bump"

Digging: Krusseldorf - Fractal World

March 1st 2014

Big surprise you don't like this. I guarantee you only listened to the previews.

March 1st 2014

Riiiiiiiiiight, because this hasn't been leaked for like 3 weeks.

March 1st 2014

Haha just kidding Betrays comment is truly legendary.

Insurrection

20650 Comments

listened to this earlier today and was impressed and bored at the same time. they got some sweet ideas but its so monotonous after a while.

nice review

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

March 1st 2014

@nocturnal lol I can never be too sure with you anymore.

March 1st 2014

Don't worry Jac I believe I'm slowly transitioning into a good Sputniker and I also owe u an apology good sir because your quality and I've been beefing with you in the past for no good reason so ya lol.

March 1st 2014

Agreed with Resurrection, the review is spot on. This band will never be a game changer despite the hype they build up and opportunity they have to evolve before every album is released.

goddamn

March 1st 2014

I'm sorry necro, it had to be done.

March 1st 2014

I have this dibbed, so it'll be interesting to see how our points differ :]

March 1st 2014

I just don't get how you can criticise the new Cynic for its lyrics and then give this a 4 I mean cmon

I've always been a Carnifex fan tbh... well, AND a Cynic fan, haha

NocteDominum
March 1st 2014

Had the promo since Jan, wasn't fussed enough to write about iy

PunchforPunch
March 1st 2014

love the artwork idk about the music tho

Wizard

19231 Comments

I couldn't get through a single fucking song on this the other night. So painfully, horribly derivative of everything else that sucks in this genre.

Kids, why do you waste your time with garbage like this?

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

BigPleb
March 1st 2014

Nice rev Jac, agree on a lot of points.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

I mean really.

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

Shuyin
March 1st 2014

great review, i kinda liked all the random riffs in the last carnifex album, twas fun

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars