Manic Street Preachers
Gold Against The Soul

by Elliott S. Edwards STAFF
February 26th, 2014 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Under Neon Loneliness, CHAPTER 2: “A Memory Fades to a Pale Landscape…”

By all definitions of the words ‘titanic failure’, Manic Street Preachers’ Generation Terrorists fit the bill. Not even by fractions of their own ***ed up standards did the band succeed, even worse too was that the style of music they performed was becoming painfully out-dated- the band were still attempting to subvert their lyricism with glam metal tendencies, and although the NME made rash decisions to give it a perfect score (it was a damn site close to the score's merit), context-specific the album didn't feel intentionally bloated or sacrilegious. With their 1994 album, the band was undeniably confused about what they were supposed to do- they’d received perfect scores, but nobody was buying their albums.

Enter, ‘Sophomore Slump’.

The labels Gold Against the Soul has afforded itself in the 20+ years since its release are quite unfit. Yes, context-specific the album failed and did little to articulate their visions. But taken simply as a piece of music, Gold Against the Soul is a seriously adept and worthy follow-up to the bands overblown debut.

Smoothing out the bumps, the album opens on the insomniac biography “Sleepflower”. Charged by a filthy and jagged riff, the song runs along with careless abandon and furious gaze- nothing on Terrorists quite matches the grooving riff and generally dirty atmosphere of the track. Singles “From Despair to Where” and “La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)” are hard-hitting and perfectly designed for radio, proving more clever ways of subversion than the band were used to, matching lyrics of war and depression with string orchestrated rock tracks. Deeper album cuts provide similar cleverly done pieces- “Life Becoming a Landslide” is a careful and cathartic track by way of voyeurism and lack of Russian Formalist outlook. The provoking take on suicide that is “Roses In the Hospital” is one of the bands greatest ballad moments- even if its stadium-ready closing can take away from its general motivation.

And then that becomes the downfall that plagues Gold Against the Soul. Even though it’s tighter and more focused than their debut, it’s worse for indulging in the more ridiculous aspects of heavy metal and the emerging grunge scene. Pity yourself to the dark lyrics of “Yourself” while you rock out with your cock out. Prance along to the arpeggio-riddled riff of “Drug Drug Druggy” while you try to absorb that superficial surface meaning. And if that hasn't drained you, tell the old folks to take a hike on “Nostalgic Pushead”, and wail on that air-guitar like the size of your willy is at stake- because nothing rocks quite as hard as Duran Duran keyboards and Metallica-sized bridges.

With that being said though, painfully understated remains the albums final moments. “Symphony of Tourette” is the most misunderstood of the two tracks that close the album, as is any that tries to articulate the problems surrounding a Tourette’s sufferer. Inarticulate riffs and jarring sections are thrown out almost randomly, with expression faulting in the eyes of social anxiety- the very symptoms of Tourette’s. The final title-track mines the bands political side with U2-sized stadium ready riffs. Echoing with male harmonies ala-Def Leppard, the band squander some brilliantly iconic rhetoric in the skin of arena-meandering, cavernous ‘rawk’. Regardless, it pushes forward and entertains through the final overblown nature of the second-half.

And that, if anything, is the issue surrounding Gold Against the Soul. Undeniably, all 10 tracks are in some way enjoyable if not for the employment of hooks and guitar-centric focus. The performances tight, the lyrical work intriguing, the only thing truly letting it down is the fact it really doesn't slide together. Guns N’ Roses might have never been politically minded, and The Clash may have never been interested in the synergy of guitar riffs and vocal hooks, but they matched their music and lyrics appropriately. Unfortunately, subversive or not, it doesn't work as well when it was already made perfect satire of on their debut.

Confusion leads Gold Against the Soul into strange places and dead-ends, but thankfully it never stops being entertaining. Lacking intelligent prowess in favour of unintentional hard rock spoof, Gold Against the Soul merely cowers in the shadow of its titan follow-up The Holy Bible- regardless, this is hardly the disaster to prove your lack of Manic’s fandom like the NME loves to tout. Concise and consistent if not lacking in brevity and too focused on rockism, Gold Against the Soul is an interesting piece that unfortunately slides in awkwardly between two of the Manic’s crowning achievements.

NEXT: “I Know I Believe In Nothing But It Is My Nothing…”

Harry Styles Harry StylesDrake More Life
Nav NAVKing Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard Flying Microtonal Banana
Sun Kil Moon Common As Light and Love Are Red Valleys of BloodFlume Skin Companion ll
Dr Dave De Sylvia STAFF (3.5)

Ali (4)
Despite being unloved in comparison to later works, this remains one of the Manics strongest release...

Arcade
February 25th 2014

second review in my planned series. I know this album gets a great deal of flack but i honestly don't know why. Objectively speaking at times it's not quite there (it's hardly a classic), but it's a decent and concise album of straight forward music. Feedback appreciated.

Digging: Lil Yachty - Teenage Emotions

RobbaqPL
February 26th 2014

I really like this album for some reason, the songs are really solid for the most part, which I can hardly say about GT. Good review, have a pos, and good luck with the rest of the series.

menawati
February 26th 2014

landslide is great but never really liked this that much, good job on the review

AliW1993
February 26th 2014

One of my favourite Manics albums. Some really great songs here.

Good job again! I sense I already know what score The Holy Bible's getting, though...

Arcade
February 26th 2014

I swear to god, THB will not get a 5. I'm leaning towards a 4 for contexts sake but I guarantee that it won't be a gushing praise

March 23rd 2017

I bought La Tristesse Durera on single when it came out, in came the elder brother mocking me calling me a 'noofter' while doing the classic teapot pose.

90s >

Digging: Pumarosa - The Witch

elliootsmeuth
March 23rd 2017

I was only alive for 3 months during the 90's, but I can agree that 90's music is>>>

March 23rd 2017

Album is a bit poo though. The band themselves detest it.

elliootsmeuth
March 23rd 2017

Haven't really listened to anything from these guys actually, need to get around to that.

TVC15
March 23rd 2017

For some reason it's been really hard for me to dig this album

Digging: The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Remix)

March 23rd 2017

Has its moments, From Despair to Where is classic.

TVC15
April 19th 2017

This finally clicked. And it's a glorious feeling