Kassem Mosse
Workshop 19

by Jonny Hunter CONTRIBUTOR (105 Reviews)
February 25th, 2014 | 23 replies

Release Date: 02/24/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Wherever you are, you're dancing.

There's a familiar line of armchair philosophy concerning the negative affect of the internet on music, and sadly there's sod all anyone can do about it. A producer like Kassem Mosse can squirm all he likes in the spotlight of database culture but it can only delay the inevitable. Whether he picks a name easy to misspell or bleats about the importance of keeping dance music in parties or not, his releases are still documented on Discogs; they're still filed and categorised and rated by the kind of spotty shut-in who wouldn't dream of ever contributing to the culture it's created for; I'm still reviewing Workshop 19. Sorry.

It's then very important to note, as an extension to this attitude, that Workshop 19 is not necessarily concerned with how it will sound on your bookshelf or -god ***ing forbid- laptop speakers. The producer's first "real" LP builds on a long legacy of mixes, singles, compilations and EPs to deliver an album chock-full of deep, steady dance-floor house. Slow build ups and stretched out repetition are to be expected because at its core this is a release to dance to, and anyone vaguely familiar with the Berlin techno/house scene will find it more than enjoyable in that regard.

At the same time, the 10 minute wind-down we might as well refer to as "Untitled D1" is still managing to do some excellent work to the atmosphere of my bedroom. With its slow baselines, quiet, quirky melodies and field-recording outro you might be mistaken for thinking Kassem's finally caved to the internet audience. Similar thoughts might be directed at the equally well named "Untitled A2," which contains a level of subtlety unfamiliar to the chewing, mandy'd up party-goers he would otherwise seem to have in mind.

So let's forget this and any other scene we could bring in and focus on the fact Workshop 19 contains some of the best house music in recent memory. By completely rejecting the lighter, cheesier mutation of the genre, the listener is treated to pulsating 4/4 loops with plenty of understated bass to either bob your head to or "critically appreciate" from an Ikea desk-chair. Kassem's style is hypnotic: incorporating sporadic, almost sketchy synths in the latter half of "B2" and much more dramatic turns in "A2" with the confidence of someone who spends more time around a dancefloor than at home. It's unlike a house album to be surprising, but Kassem seems to find the possibility of dance in everything.

So go out and dance or have it on while reading: it doesn't really matter. Workshop 19 shows a veteran producer at top form for the entirety of a full length album and that isn't something that comes along too often. Whether intended to or not, it's able to be enjoyed anywhere. The only requirement is a listener able to recognise some bloody good dance music.

Mr. Mitch Don't LeaveGrouper Ruins
Throwing Snow MosaicSOHN Tremors
A Winged Victory for the Sullen Atomos VIIPlinth (UK) Music For Smalls Lighthouse

February 25th 2014

Did I say this was amazing? This is amazing.

But god damn does it sound like ass on youtube. I refuse to link it...

Deviant.
February 25th 2014

I'm confused; what's the relation between mosse's music not being fully represented by an audio stream and his works being catalogued on a database site?

And yeah, this is fuckin solid though at times the Detroit worship is a bit much

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

February 25th 2014

It's mostly from his attitude in this: http://www.littlewhiteearbuds.com/feature/lwe-interviews-kassem-mosse/

I'll go in with a feather duster and get it all sparkly clear in the review tomorrow morning (:

Brostep
February 25th 2014

Gotta check this, looks really cool

Digging: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

VheissuCrisis
February 25th 2014

[rocks back on Ikea chair and nods approval]

Nice words Jonny. Your last sentence reads pretty awkwardly though you might want to polish that up.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

February 25th 2014

mmm, agreed. Put a patch over it but I'll come back with eyelids less heavy and do a better job tomorrow.

Have clarified, I think.

Pardon
February 26th 2014

this is a terrible review.

February 26th 2014

you made an account just to say that? damn...

clercqie

Nice read, man.

And I love this album. Fantastic stuff.

TWIGtheWONDERKID
February 26th 2014

Enjoyed the review, and the linked interview.

Digging: Galleon - From Land to Ocean

February 26th 2014

Yeah the interview's great - not sure if I quite agree with everything he says but it's a fresh perspective.

gosk8n
March 3rd 2014

it seems like its going to be another awesome year for electronic music this album and Francis Harris 'Minutes of Sleep' are top notch

March 3rd 2014

whoever decided to price the Minutes of Sleep record at £35 inc. postage is an absolute bastard -.-

gosk8n
March 3rd 2014

haha yea thats kinda outrageous

Aids
March 5th 2014

swed

Digging: Mitski - bury me at makeout creek

MisterTornado
March 12th 2014

finally got around to this, its pretty great

Omaha
March 28th 2014

Not sold on this quite yet, interesting tho

Digging: Thou - Heathen

March 29th 2014

bahh

osmark86
October 28th 2014

I assume C1 is the time you wash away standbyer sweat and go buy a brew?