Incubus
If Not Now, When?

by Joseph Michael Newcomer USER (1 Reviews)
February 24th, 2014 | 15 replies

Review Summary: "There's no such thing as the good ol' days. The older we all get, the better we all were"

If Not Now When is certainly different from their other albums, however different does not equal bad. If you are a fan of Incubus only for their heavier stuff, then this is probably not an album for you. Conversely, if you are a fan of Incubus for their innovative riffs and instrumentation, and a fan of Brandon's vocals and lyrics, then this is precisely the album for you.

Brandon's voice is the cornerstone of this album. The title track at least in my opinion features one of Boyd's best vocal performances yet. The lyrics are well-written and expressive, and his tone is powerful. The vocal harmonies are great. He has come a long way since the screaming days of SCIENCE, and has evolved as a singer (much like Anthony Kiedis, however I feel that Brandon has aged better). If you prefer the vocal style found in songs like New Skin or A Certain Shade of Green then this is probably not an album for you.

The music for this album is somewhat minimalistic--you won't find any impressive solos from Mike or crazy bass lines from Ben, however this is not really a bad thing. We know that if they wanted to, they easily could have included both of the above, yet they did not. Instead, they created an album that is expertly orchestrated and engineered. The tones and mixing of the album are perfect, and deserves much more credit than its been given.

I must admit, I did not like this album much when I first got it because it did not meet my expectations. Over time, however, the more I listened to it the more intricacies I found. I would hear something like the progressive like climax in "In The Company of Wolves" and think "Hey that was pretty neat". I am still finding things out about this album. It is not an album that is easy to appreciate, you really have to listen and know something about music and recording to fully appreciate this album. But if you put in the time, you will find that this album is really quite impressive. I recommend listening when you are in a particularly "mellow" mood.

2.6

February 24th 2014

Great album but this review needs a lot of work bud
You didn't really describe the style of the record, you've relied a lot on the reader knowing Incubus already only to say it sounds nothing like their previous music
Go into more detail about how they create the atmosphere etc. and use songs as examples
Just my two cents

Digging: Vestascension - Breaching the Sound

Nah can't say I did

February 24th 2014

I read your Frances the Mute one, really good for a first and definitely better than this one
You got some good detail and background about the album which is nice and you even gave me a slight urge to listen to it which is always a great thing
I'd still say you have some awkward phrasing here and there but you're not off to a bad start brother, I'd just fix this one here up

February 24th 2014

Damn you write way too much dude, sound-off feature?

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io

February 24th 2014

yo man you need to study english hard

VheissuCrisis

If I may -

"The title track at least in my opinion features one of Boyd's best vocal performances yet. The lyrics are well-written and expressive, and his tone is powerful. The vocal harmonies are great."

You can get rid of "in my opinion", its pretty redundant in any review as everything you write is your opinion, be more confident in that regard. As for the rest of the sentence, its very stop start, maybe try something like;

The title track features one of Boyd's finest vocal performances yet; the lyrics are well written and expressive and his tone is powerful, resulting in great vocal harmonies.

Anyway, keep it up man and you'll definitely improve.

February 24th 2014

writing comments backwards isn't going to get you any help if you're actually looking for it

in fact I'll probably neg all your reviews from now on because you're being a wanker

tommygun
February 24th 2014

listen to dan he knows his shit and is a v good writer

February 24th 2014

yo you need to change your name back faggot

February 24th 2014

I was talking to tempest dude.

February 24th 2014

all I'm saying is you need to look over this to make sure you've got all your punctuation and grammar, etc. correct

Green Baron

20000 Comments

Lol pleb

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

SnakeDelilah
February 24th 2014

wtf why a second account?

Digging: Sun Kil Moon - Benji

SnakeDelilah
February 24th 2014

Well, that was immediate, especially since you just recently posted a review.... :[

RogueNine