The Republic of Wolves
No Matter How Narrow

by Brad Acord USER (6 Reviews)
February 23rd, 2014 | 26 replies | 1,275 views

Release Date: 12/17/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With a slight change in attitude, The Republic of Wolves emerge reinvigorated.

With this release The Republic of Wolves seems to have wandered out of a cold dark forest into a lush, sunny landscape. If Varuna was the bands winter album, this album makes for the perfect spring. The band seems to have matured and intern have created music that is far more catchy, upbeat and accessible.

Right from the beginning with the album opener, Frozen Feet, it is clear that The Republic of Wolves have developed a more breezy and pleasant style. Although some songs such as Arithmetic on the Frontier and Orange Empire carry dark undertones, little remains of the suffocating darkness of previous releases. Mason Maggio sounds as confident as ever crooning over beautifully layered acoustic and electric guitar. His lyrics are just as poetic and interesting as their previous releases.

The choruses of the album are bright, passionate and catchy. A good example of this can be found in the song Stray(s). For lack of a better word, Mason Maggio often sounds lazy during many of the verses. This is not a negative aspect of the album; in fact it is the opposite. He sounds unbelievably comfortable in his role and his lyrics seem to naturally flow from his mouth. This contrast between carefree verses and passionate, gripping choruses creates an amazing high.

Every member of the band works towards a solid and beautifully textured blanket of sound. An amazing strength of the band is their ability to instrumentally fade out and burst back into action. The delicate balance between heavy electric guitar songs and beautiful acoustic songs creates a great variety across the album. The atmosphere created by the cohesion of the guitars and drums creates an upbeat and occasionally tense mood.

The greatest flaw of the album is that many of the songs can blend together. This may seem to contradict my praise of the album being varied. When it comes down to it, many of the songs seem to have similar moods, which can make it hard to differentiate one song from another. Another flaw is the albums lack of a climax. Most songs have their own individual climaxes, but the album as a whole fails to have one stand out climatic moment.

The Republic of Wolves have again created a moody and beautiful release. They have successfully created an album with a new attitude that complements their previous work. Fans of the bands previous work may shy away from the new mood the band has adopted, but those with an open mind will likely love this release just as much as (or more than) their previous albums.

AFI All Hallow'sAFI Burials
Radiohead In Rainbows Disk 2Falling In Reverse The Drug In Me Is You
Escape the Fate Dying Is Your Latest Fashion

February 22nd 2014

I'm shocked that this album hasn't received much attention on this site. Wrote this review fairly quick. Criticism is welcome. I'm more interested in hearing other users opinions on this album, I really enjoyed it.

February 23rd 2014

I was listening to this for a while a month or so ago, but I got distracted. Will have to dive back in soon.

February 23rd 2014

^^ I like it probably just as much as Varuna. This album is a little less interesting I'd say. They sacrificed that for a little more
catchiness and accessibility.

February 23rd 2014

I heard really good things about Varuna after I had started listening to this. Will have to give them both a spin, soon.

Ever heard As Tall As Lions, feather?

Veldin
February 23rd 2014

Not necessarily bad, but my least favorite release by the group. I thought Varuna was brilliant.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

silentstar
February 23rd 2014

Varuna was more interesting but this is really good as well and like you said, much more accessible and very catchy.

and I love how you mentioned "a more breezy and pleasant style" because that's exactly how I'd describe this album. it doesn't feel constrained and forced and it's like the band is finally letting loose and they're doing a good job at that

Keep Clean is my current favourite at the moment - good balance between the old and new Wolves

Pheromone
February 23rd 2014

Good to see this get a review; I gave this one listen through and I didn't like it nearly as much as varuna.

Digging: Eels - The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett

February 23rd 2014

Ecnalzen, I've heard of As Tall as Lions but I've never spent time listening to them. What do you recommend from them?

February 23rd 2014

Nice review, this needed one. Now if only I agreed with your score...

February 23rd 2014

Its a good listen, Varuna could be spun more often without ever getting old though.

ashcrash9
February 23rd 2014

"Another flaw is the albums lack of a climax. Most songs have their own individual climaxes, but the album as a whole fails to have one stand out climatic moment."

Highly disagree with this. "Through Empty Vessels" is a beautiful closer and releases a lot of the tension that built up before it while tracks like "Greenville, MO" and "Keep Clean" trail off without a memorable or fitting conclusion imo.

Otherwise it's a nice review and the rest of your points are valid, even if not explained too much. Pos'd.

@feather

As Tall As Lions are actually the reason I got distracted and forgot about this, ha ha. Check out their song Love Love Love, and if you like it like I do, you will most likely revel in the glory of their S/t album.

@Ashcrash9
I do agree for the most part with what you say, it is quite an epic closer, I just wish there was a song more in the middle that had such an impact. I tried to not go too in depth because I tend to write too much sometimes so I was practicing writing shorter reviews.

@Ecnalzen
Thanks for the rec, I'll check them out later.

letsgofishing
February 23rd 2014

This album is so tame compared to every other thing this band has released. Unfortunately,the "slight change in attitude"
has only bred a rather succinct disinterest on my part.

Exactly what letsgofishing said

February 23rd 2014

I can understand where you are coming from calling it tame. Its far more tame. In my opinion that doesn't detract as much value from the album as you think. Change isn't exactly what fans of a band are always looking for, can't please everyone.

February 23rd 2014

Granted, but I feel like the aggression they sacrificed cost them a huge chunk of their identity. And this isn't strong enough in itself to make me approve of the change, especially when they have Tigers on Trains as their side project for this sort of folk/lighter output.

letsgofishing

Exactly what SowingSeason said

February 23rd 2014

:'( leave me alone and stop ganging up on me!?!?!

but really, I haven't had the opportunity to check out Tigers on Trains so maybe that would have impacted my opinion.

February 23rd 2014

I'll stop!!! I'm glad you enjoy it :-)