Flotsam and Jetsam
No Place for Disgrace - 2014

by Trey Spencer STAFF
February 23rd, 2014 | 44 replies

Release Date: 02/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This re-recording won't feed your nostalgia. This is for those that wanted the original 1988 release brought into the modern age.

There are a lot of reasons bands choose to re-record their early material. Anthrax and Iced Earth did it to show off new vocalists. Testament did it to show that they still 'had it' despite an almost completely revamped lineup. Anacrusis did it due to fan requests and their own personal displeasure with the originals, and now Flotsam and Jetsam have done it too. After the band's debut was remastered and re-released, fans made a request for the same treatment on No Place For Disgrace. Complications apparently made it impossible to do, so the next best thing was to re-record the entire album. Since this entire endeavor was due to fan demand, the band set up a Pledge Music account so that those same fans could finance the entire thing. The project was a success and the new version was financed, recorded and eventually released. So, was it worth the effort?

For the fans that had been asking for it, of course it was. The sound is infinitely more clear and crisp, providing much more separation between individual instruments. The drums don’t have that hollow 80s thrash sound, the riffs aren’t obscured by a muddy delivery and the lyrics are much easier to understand. The best thing to come from the re-recording is the updated vocals from Eric Knutson. Eric’s voice has aged like fine wine and the deeper, grittier style he first used on Cuatro really compliments these older songs. While in the studio, the band also took the opportunity to make some other changes that they may or may not have been thinking about for the last twenty-five years. This includes adding additional synth and piano flourishes, subtly altering arrangements and solos, adding a few guest musicians (including Chris Poland and ex-guitarist Mark Simpson -- but not Jason Newsted) and even completely replacing the opening riff on 'Saturday Night's Alright'. For the most part, these changes are either positive or inconsequential but not everything will be so easily accepted. The biggest issue the 2014 release seems to have is the use of slower tempos in a few spots (most noticeably on the title track). It's annoying, for sure, but certainly not a deal breaker when considering all of the other positives.

There are going to be a vocal minority (majority?) of people that hate this album just because it's not the original and nostalgia dictates that the original is the best -- this album wasn't created for them. No Place For Disgrace - 2014 is for those fans that liked the original, but found the production dated or lacking. For them, this version should provide everything that they were hoping to hear. The sound is crisp and clear, there is significantly more separation between instruments and the playing is as superb as the original. Where there might be some issues is in the updated vocal style and few additional flourishes; only because these elements deviate from the original blueprint. Where there is almost certain to be issues is in the few places that the band opted to slow down the original tempos. Overall, No Place For Disgrace - 2014 should satisfy those that were looking for an updated production and it offers enough subtle changes from the original to stand on its own.

Cannibal Corpse A Skeletal DomainRabbit Junk Pop That Pretty Thirty
Anathema Distant SatellitesMindcage Our Own Devices
Fates Warning Darkness in a Different LightQueensryche Queensryche
3.1
good

February 22nd 2014

I like it, but I'm kind of partial to clean productions.

Digging: Necropoli - I

tempest--
February 22nd 2014

Will need to check this one out. Haven't really got into Flotsam and Jetsam though.
Good review, Willie!

Digging: Jake Kaufman - Shovel Knight Original Soundtrack

February 22nd 2014

I'd check out 'The Cold' and 'Cuatro' if you like the modern metal stuff. Their first two albums you like old school thrash.

Jruined
February 23rd 2014

I was first introduced to these guys when Cuatro came out, so this sits nicely within that context.

Digging: Earth - Primitive and Deadly

manosg
February 23rd 2014

A 3.8 for this one?! I'll definitely give it a listen as I don't expect much from this album.

Digging: John Coltrane - Ballads

Voivod
February 23rd 2014

Great read Trey. I have heard bits and pieces from this album, but I liked everything I've heard so far.

For different reasons, the common problem of '80s and contemporary metal sound productions is sound clarity and sound intensity. In most cases, one has to crank the volume (in vain!) a lot to get both, respectively.

Digging: The Sabbathian - Ritual Rites

sonictheplumber
February 23rd 2014

almost saw em opening for testament and overkill but got there too late

linguist2011
February 23rd 2014

Didn't know this album was getting re-recorded!

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

RunOfTheMill
February 23rd 2014

Great review, Willie. In comparison the production is indeed better, but I really quite love the original recording for that awesome guitar tone that they had. Either way it's a cool alternative :P

lostforwords
February 23rd 2014

This re-recording is absolutely amazing, I love the clarity of the production, the tightness of the band and the increased thrashiness of AK!
It was an impressive album anyway, but I think now I enjoy it even more

sorry dont like this

all of the rawness and dynamics are completely gone which i guess more modern metal fans would dig but for a true thrasher like meself this is a disgrace and there is no place for that ;);0n9. also the slower tempo sucks and the vocals are shitter

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

February 23rd 2014

wow the awesome clean section on the t/t has lost all that awesome reverb and that perfect bass tone wow sucks

TheNotrap
February 23rd 2014

The original has a decent production, I honestly don't see the need to re-record this album, but if the band thought it was an asset, I think it's worth peeking.

Pretty nice review.

Digging: Lago - Tyranny

you'll dig it notrap

TheNotrap
February 23rd 2014

I don't usually like re-recordings, we will see...

RunOfTheMill
February 23rd 2014

Haha, Kill dude I totally agree that the original is sweet and that the old school production suits it just fine, but you're being a bit harsh on this :P

February 23rd 2014

yea i'm not a fan of modern metal production at all, the compression is almost too mcuh to take!

JamieTwort

20676 Comments

Not gonna bother with this, seems pretty pointless to me. I have no doubt I'd like this less than the original, what with my dislike for modern thrash production.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

February 23rd 2014

So was I. 'Never to Reveal' is still one of my favorite Flotsam songs.

Agreed. This album makes it so much easier to actually pick up on the nuances of each riff.

Yeah. The clean section is cooler on the original, especially with the piercing scream on the original. On the other hand, I never knew he was screaming "Hari Kari" until I heard the new version of the song.

19756 Comments

Nice review Trey. I'll prolly give this a go cause I'm curious and love these guys

Digging: Spectral Lore - III