Artificial Brain
Labyrinth Constellation

by I am TheMoreira for we are many. USER (13 Reviews)
February 22nd, 2014 | 291 replies

Release Date: 02/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If this is supposed to be death metal about space monsters, where the fuck's Cthulu?

Whoever said that death metal is totally dead and buried is talking out of their arse. While there are many derivative bands out there, others, such as Obliteration and now Artificial Brain, that are pushing boundaries that were considered un-pushable. Artificial Brain's sound can be characterised as death metal with sci-fi themes. While this is something that has been done before (see Morgoth, Nocturnus and Hypocrisy), the fusion of Demilich/Adramelech atonal craziness with the intense groove of Immolation and a b-movie/hard sci-fi atmosphere creates a sound that is pushing at the boundaries and approaching something truly unique.

It should be emphasised that, while the band is not consistently pushing over the boundaries established by their aformentioned contemporaries, when they do the results are spectacular. 'Absorbing Black Ignition' is the shining example of what happens when the band pushes beyond the normal brutality of death metal; they create an atmosphere that rivals Immolation's Closer To A World Below at its most titanic but one that has much greater emphasis on sad, haunting and, dare it be said, beautiful, dissonant melodies. It does this while losing none of the power and brute force that death metal is so revered for. To create a song of this type in this genre and execute it so well is rare indeed.

As mentioned before though this album is not a consistent experiment; the band stays within their genre confines more on the shorter tracks while letting loose on the longer tracks, all with a hint of melody. It should be stated that band does all of this with exceptional skill, balancing technical prowess, aggression and atmosphere in well-thought out structures that flow between the three without ever dropping the ball once. On the flip side though none of these songs approach 'Absorbing Black Ignition' in terms of quality or originality (the title track comes close though). It's both a blessing and a curse for the band as it leaves a huge amount of potential that the band can build upon for the future but also it leaves this album feeling a little lacking. With that said though this album still stands head and shoulders above most of its contemporaries in terms of quality and also provides a valuable lesson that death metal isn't quite dead yet. Recommended with occasional light refreshments.

Choice Cuts:

-Absorbing Black Ignition
-Labyrinth Constellation
-Wired Opposites

Fall of Because Life Is EasyHusker Du Everything Falls Apart
Gridlock FormlessCompromise Compromise
Black Dog Productions BytesGodflesh Decline & Fall

February 22nd 2014

4 Wiz and Jac and anyone else who cares. Constructive criticism as always is welcome.

Voivod
February 22nd 2014

Good review, but it needs commas in some sentences.

Band is bookmarked.

Edit:

album stream - http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/labyrinth-constellation

Digging: Raven Throne - ???????? ?????????

February 22nd 2014

Cheers Voivod, yeah I've add some comas where needed I think and also a few semi-colons just to break things up. Is it better now?

Voivod
February 22nd 2014

Yeah, it's much better now.

One final suggestion:

While this is something that has been done before (see Morgoth and Hypocrisy)

Add Florida's Nocturnus in the list :-)

And done. Cheers voivod.

InfamousGrouse
February 22nd 2014

do you mean Obliteration?

Digging: Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson

February 22nd 2014

yeah i did. corrected. cheers dude

Jacquibim
February 22nd 2014

The leads on Absorbing are otherworldly good, sweet review pos'd :D

Digging: Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land

HenchmanOfSanta
February 22nd 2014

Will definitely be checking this out based on all of the bands I've seen referenced in various reviews.

You're also gonna want a comma between "there" and "others" in the second sentence.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

tempest--

will czech

SpiritCrusher2
February 22nd 2014

good album, nothing special though

NodScene23
February 23rd 2014

Good review, great handle.

done henchman, cheers.

Thanks guys, album is beastly.

Wizard

19437 Comments

Thank the fucking lord you did not compare these guys to new Gorguts cuz I would have ripped you to shreds hahahaha.

You're a damn good writer. The concise approach you took with the review had a ton of info and didn't need to be wordy.

Digging: Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Tuus

Digging: A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology

Jacquibim
February 23rd 2014

Jam this kill you should dig

it's not even brickwalled

3.1 average on rym damn

might do

HenchmanOfSanta
February 23rd 2014

This album is decent. It's exactly what I expect from a tech death band with a sci-fi/space theme. I do have to take issue with you saying the atmosphere rivals Close to a World Below. Very few albums in death metal approach that level, and this definitely isn't one of them.

February 23rd 2014

Cheers Wiz, it's good to hear that from you man though tbh I should've included a Coloured Sands reference just for your reaction. Jk

Tbh Henchman when I said it's atmosphere was comparable to Close To A World Below I was drawing it in comparison to that specific song not the entire album. I drew that based on the kind of effect it had on me as a whole which is similar yet different to the kind of affect many of the tracks Close To A World Below gave me. In the end dude if you disagree me with dude that's fine.

Adabelle