Be Forest
Earthbeat

by NoSons USER (20 Reviews)
February 21st, 2014 | 30 replies | 1,858 views

Release Date: 02/04/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A delicately delivered album with a soothing presence.

My favorite thing about music the vast majority of music styles that a person can listen to and dig it. I like to claim myself as a hardcore kid but I can listen to a Ke$ha song and be just as into that as I can with a song from Blackisted. Today I found yet another non-hardcore presence of music that I enjoyed immediately. Meet Be Forest, an indiepop/post-rock pop band that preys on listeners with soft progressions and soothing melodies. Their newest album, 'Earthbeat' is a perfect representation of this. The only things I can compare the style of music too is early Kye Kye, or maybe within the realm of Local Natives, with a swirling atmosphere and intricate instrumentation all around.

The album begins with a quiet instrumental entitled 'Totem'. The song shines light on the light percussion but strong guitar based instruments creating a simple dynamic. The vocal performance in 'Captured Heart' and every other songs adds to the texture with an airy performance. The entirety of equation creates a space of music that sets a comforting mood. Various flutes parallel the tranquilizing performance of the rest of the band. The band even makes use of xylophones throughout the album. This creativity really stuck with me while listening to all nine tracks of this record.

The title 'Earthbeat' is a perfect word to define how this album plays. The qualities of the music are representations of how people perceive nature, as the calming getaway from the hectic and busy industrial cities, towns, and even everyday life. I am not trying to take any complexities out of the music, because the arrangements of all the instruments are done to perfection, it sounds effortless. Take the song 'Airwaves' for example. The drum pattern is upbeat, and the guitars start off circling around the mix and progress into a delicate mix of notes. Other instruments join, vibrating the song while the vocals are softly expanding their range. This dynamic is what makes this album so addicting.

Never is there one instrument that outdoes the other. They all stay within their realm that creates a united jigsaw puzzle. Tones of different tracks also have separate moods. While 'Totem' is more somber, 'Totem II' sounds more joyous. The closing track 'Hideaway' swells into an elaborate song again highlighting the ability to involve a plethora of instruments. The snare rolls are off-paced and more sporadic, the guitars are echoing, and the vocals are more firm, holding the mix together. 'Earthbeat' overall is a delicate mix of harmonies within nine beautifully crafted tracks.

My Fictions Stranger SongsTrap Them Blissfucker
Hour of Penance RegicideWovenhand Refractory Obdurate
Beartooth DisgustingYoung and in the Way When Life Comes to Death

NoSons
February 21st 2014

I absolutely enjoyed this, maybe the intro paragraph was too much, but I could not think of anything else to say. Comment and critique it as usual, but check this out!

Digging: He Is Legend - Heavy Fruit

Tunaboy45

2056 Comments

Well written review, flows well. Have a pos.

Digging: Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

February 21st 2014

Nice man! I actually was looking at reviewing this, but I'm glad someone did.

February 21st 2014

getting this just cuz the albm art

February 21st 2014

"Lost Boy" is such a great song.

February 21st 2014

will check. their lats album also has realy sweet art

February 21st 2014

here's a link to their soundcloud page: http://wwnbb.bandcamp.com/album/wwnbb-051-earthbeat[/l]

February 21st 2014

dude holy fuck yeah this song is literally blowing my fucking mind right now i am super fucking keen on this

the girls voice is lovely

its times like this that i realize never to doubt my intuitions haha

usually when I decide to get something based solely off the art it turns out to be a new obsession

Metalstyles
February 21st 2014

If the rest of the album is anything like "Lost Boy", I need to get this ASAP. That track is soooooo good.

HuarkkBanned
February 21st 2014

That cover art is insanely ethereal!!! gonna get this album ihihihihi hard

Yeah, "Lost Boy" is one of the best surprises I've found on soundcloud

Album art rules too

February 22nd 2014

@Metalstyles: Unfortunately, "Lost Boy" is far and away the highlight on the album, but it's all great, really.

NoSons
February 22nd 2014

Thanks guys! I really want this album to be heard by more people!

March 7th 2014

holy fucking shit on my dick and fuck my ballsack this is amazing

so glad I checked this out god friggin hot damn

March 7th 2014

great review NoSons, have a pos. officially intrigued and going to give this a go after a little Clams Casino jammage.

Digging: Schammasch - Contradiction

March 7th 2014

its only so often that an album breaks my vocabulary

March 7th 2014

that good ey? well color me curioso

March 7th 2014

i dunno i friggin love it, its all like indie pop ambient new wave post punk gothic awesome hipster garbage in the best way possible i have a throbbing respect boner right now

March 7th 2014

sounds like one helluva mashup of ideas. if they pull it off this could be great.