William Fitzsimmons
Lions

good

by Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (71 Reviews)
February 19th, 2014 | 25 replies | 3,458 views

Release Date: 02/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You remind me of the past.

Over the course of the last nine years, William Fitzsimmons has been creating beautifully crafted lo-fi, acoustic folk songs; if one were to listen to his debut Until When We Are Ghosts alongside his latest releases it would be clear to listeners that Fitzsimmons does not feel the need to constantly change his sound. And rightfully so. Even in following his 2011 dud, in which Fitzsimmons strayed from his typical lyrical content, it seems that Fitzsimmons knows exactly what kind of music he is comfortable creating; only ever so slightly deviating from his roots in his latest release Lions.

In Lions listeners get more of the same, as album opener “Well Enough” greets us with subdued finger picking on an acoustic guitar and raspy melancholy crooning. Although the majority of the album falls into the aforementioned tropes of singer/songwriter music, there are songs that do deviate ever so slightly, making for a more varied listen. Tracks such as “From You” and “Hold On” tastefully employ use of different percussive instruments, while “Blood/Chest” boasts a quiet strings section. Although there are songs that see some sort of variance throughout the album, the biggest gripe to be found on this record is without a doubt that the album seems almost too one dimensional at times. Tracks rarely rise and fall, more often than not opting to remain stagnantly at one level of intensity for its entirety. Save for the track “Centralia”, which surprisingly begins with distorted clashing drums and guitar before returning to the oft used finger picking with the ominous buzz left underneath for the remainder of the track, songs on this album are predictable and on occasion overstay their welcome. Minor tweaks to songs may keep this record from falling into feeling like one long song, but they are few and far between, which will undoubtedly test the patience of many listeners.

While Lions isn’t anything ground breaking within the indie folk scene, it is a welcome return to the top of Fitzsimmons’ songwriting game. A wholly one sided affair, this release does not attempt to be anything that it is not, even through the use of a host of varied instrumentation and even female harmonies. While Fitzsimmons is not quite back to the levels of Until When We Are Ghosts, this record finds him regaining his footing as he attempts to climb back to the top.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsSeahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism Only
Sleep Weather Two Wheels SpinningWe Are Scientists TV en Français
Prawn / Joie de Vivre SplitMy Epic Behold

February 19th 2014

I'm in love with this guys beard.

ABjordanMM
February 19th 2014

Good review dude. Congrats on contrib too? I am enjoying this album, and the review's pretty spot on.

hogan900
February 19th 2014

I remember enjoying the sparrow a little bit, may have to check this out.

klap
February 19th 2014

glad a contrib got to this

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

ABjordanMM
February 19th 2014

"glad a contrib got to this"
why's that?

February 19th 2014

It's definitely something worth checking out, but it's nothing too spectacular.

VheissuCrisis
February 19th 2014

"Even in following his 2011 dud, in which Fitzsimmons strayed from his typical lyrically content"

Might want to take a look at this. Good stuff though man.

February 19th 2014

Thanks man, that was two sentences i combined so it got a little jumbled lol

Lucid
February 19th 2014

really dig this. step up from gold in the shadow

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

Voivod
February 19th 2014

album stream - http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/william_fitzsimmons-lions_album_stream

Really nice album.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

February 19th 2014

@voivod what are you thinking for a rating?

Voivod
February 19th 2014

Somewhere between a 3-3.5, great music for easing my mind, but nothing too fascinating, I'm afraid

February 19th 2014

That's a good way to put it lol

SeaAnemone

19763 Comments

this guy's never been that good besides that one song
love this ~style~ just not him

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

SlightlyEpic
February 19th 2014

which song is that one song

edit: oh man this avatar is excellent

SeaAnemone

19763 Comments

from now on I want all the avatars to be that avatar plz

and this is his good song!

oldsoul
February 19th 2014

It's good to see him back in his usual element.

And yeah, Funeral Dress is so good

Digging: Fair - The Best Worst-Case Scenario

February 19th 2014

I didn't know anyone could have gifs for avatars. I thought it was just staff or contributors.

SlightlyEpic
February 19th 2014

i set this avatar years and years ago so i don't know if that's the case now

February 19th 2014

Yeah I have no idea if it's a thing or not, i've just never noticed a user with one.