Joe Hisaishi
Princess Mononoke

by Zenith Lazerstorm USER (18 Reviews)
February 19th, 2014 | 28 replies | 1,482 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A masterpiece in every sense of the word.

Joe Hisaishi has written the soundtrack for numerous Miyazaki classics. Among the list are NausicaƤ of the Valley of The Wind, Porco Rosso, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and of course Miyazaki's crowning achievement, Princess Mononoke (or Mononoke-Hime if you prefer). This landmark in cinema was also a great feat in music. Hisaishi's blend of European and Japanese classical creates the perfect soundscape for a vibrant story of the ages.

Never before have sound and image come together in a more perfect harmony. Hisaishi poured his everything into this work, and it shows. Every single note is impeccably placed to evoke any range of emotions. Fear, nostalgia, longing, mourning, wonder, purity, love, if you can think of it, it's probably been covered by this album. These compositions are almost tangible in the way they grip you. Each one has a distinct character that allows it to expose a new development in the story. Even if you haven't seen the film (how could you not have at this point?), by the titles and the expert song-craft you could very well create your own tale to fit the engulfing landscape created. That's where the true genius lies. Even without the movie the soundtrack was written for, the music holds its own more than capably. That's a rare attribute with soundtracks. The art of writing music specifically for a film (that could be played on its own as well) has mostly been lost by the popular motion picture industry, and for 30+ songs to tell their own story with such apparent ease and grace is wonderful to experience.

Every time I turn this album on, I get chills. It's got an indescribable quality that demands an intense emotional response literally every time it is heard. It's as if Joe Hisaishi was writing directly to the soul of everyone who would ever be lucky enough to hear these beautiful sounds. I used the word "perfect" a couple times earlier. That's exactly what Princess Mononoke is. From the brooding intensity of "The Demon God", to the delicacy and tenderness of "Ashitaka and San", and even the playful curiosity of "Kodamas", this masterpiece is essential not just for fans of music or film, but anyone willing to open themselves up to this heart-wrenching achievement of art.

Emma Ruth Rundle Some Heavy OceanMogwai Come On Die Young
Haunted Horses WatcherLymbyc Systym Symbolyst
Omotai Terrestrial GriefBison B.C. Lovelessness
4.4

Spirited Away

neurisis17
February 18th 2014

Finally got my fanboy on in a review.

Ending
February 18th 2014

1909 Comments

Joe Hisaishi is a genius.

LordePots

nice

need to dl this soundtrack, love the film hard

not really related but i just downloaded all the samurai champloo soundtracks

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours

sixdegrees
February 19th 2014

samurai champloo OST is the best cuz nujabes

Digging: Foreground Eclipse - Stories That Last Through The Sleepless Nights

Ending

1909 Comments

My favourite OST is probably the Monogatari series. I'm beginning to realize now just how big a factor Joe Hisaishi is in making the Ghibli films as great as they are

sixdegrees
February 19th 2014

welcome to the NHK and FLCL also had top-tier soundtracks.

monogatari series had some great character songs for sure.

ethos

DEMON GOD GOES HARD

mynameisSlimShady

This is soooooo good. Reviews good too. Joe is a freaking genius

mynameisSlimShady

This is soooooo good. Reviews good too. Joe is a freaking genius

ASnideReturns
February 19th 2014

I need to rewatch this fucking movie now. My absolute favorite movie by Miyazaki. Spirited Away is good too but fuck, Princess Mononoke is on another level for me.

Digging: Black Veil Brides - Set the World on Fire

RadicalEd
February 19th 2014

Justified rating. One of my favorite Movies.

Digging: U2 - Songs of Innocence

February 19th 2014

I like the symphonic suite version better than this

Digging: This Will Destroy You - Another Language

Castle In The Sky > Mononoke

Wrong

February 19th 2014

Yeah, I meant the soundtrack.

Film ranking would be Mononoke>CastleInTheSky>Totoro>SpiritedAway>MovingCastle>Nausicaa>Rest

February 19th 2014

Still wrong my friend : )

February 19th 2014

Haha, no way dude. The main theme from Castle In The Sky is eternal.

SputnikSweetheart

Agreed.

neurisis17
February 19th 2014

Also the Grave of the Fireflies soundtrack is killer. Not Hisaishi or Miyazaki, but it's related through Ghibli so I'll plug it anyway.

February 19th 2014

I'm glad I've seen grav eof the Fireflies, but I ever want to watch it again, or be reminded of it