There Will Be Fireworks
Because, Because

by Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (74 Reviews)
February 17th, 2014 | 152 replies | 2,107 views

Review Summary: The calm before the storm.

There Will Be Fireworks always has a way of creating a wonderful mood while listening to their music. The reason Because, Because's successor got the reception it did was for just this very reason and their pleasant but brief EP is no exception. However, Because, Because essentially gives us a little taste of what we will hear on The Dark, Dark Bright and it shows that the band still has a ways to go in terms of maturing. Aside from a section of average production and occasionally lackluster vocals, their EP is certainly an enjoyable listen for anyone who loves pleasant upbeat music. Rest assured, you will without a doubt feel fantastic while listening to this.

"Harmonium Song" immediately foreshadows the entire sound of their EP. Driven by a simple but nonetheless effective piano melody and beautiful guitar riffs, "Harmonium Song" soars in its feel good mood and its typically soothing vocals from Nicky McManus. This mood flows perfectly into its succeeding track "This Feels Like" with the albums best lyrics and undeniably catchy vocals. Nicky gives an extremely enjoyable performance and the piano along with some textured guitar riffs convey the message about dwelling on words you said in the past. Both of these songs are undeniably the highlights of their EP and do not disappoint. The song structures are also more straightforward and we see almost no essences of post rock builds or crescendos and instead we have very accessible songs that are more chilled out than songs like "Here Is Where" or "Colombian Fireworks." Even though this is not a bad thing by any means, Because, Because's second half leaves a little more to be desired.

"From '84" and "In Excelsis Deo" are certainly not bad songs as a whole. However, both of them present the EP's obvious flaws. In "From '84," Nicky gives a disappointingly pitchy performance and there is nothing much going on in the song as a whole other than an acoustic guitar riff. "In Excelsis Deo" for the most part is a great song that utilizes strings and a fantastic build, but once the guitar kicks into high gear, it's extremely fuzzy and doesn't go well with the strings. It for the most part kills the mood, sounds a little iffy in the mix, and doesn't feel natural. Aside from this slightly disappointing conclusion, Because, Because showcases solid work from There Will Be Fireworks. Their maturity hasn't peaked yet, but vast amounts of potential are shown here and they will soon make a name for themselves and grow into something breathtaking two years later. Aside from some typical "up and coming bands" flaws, Because, Because will please anyone who loves chilled out acoustic songs and the typical indie sound.

Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereAnberlin Lowborn
Greg Edmonson Uncharted 3: Drake's DeceptionDeftones White Pony
Deftones Around the FurDeftones Adrenaline

Green Baron
February 17th 2014

Still gotta jam dark dark bright

Yea do it dude

February 17th 2014

Nice review Mongi, agree with most of this. In Excelsis Deo could have been one of their absolute best songs if the climax had been better like you pointed out. The live version >

February 17th 2014

Thanks man. Yea they just needed to come into their own. Which they did haha

February 17th 2014

in a big fucking way. their potential is infinite, just imagine what they could come out with next.

February 17th 2014

Just my thoughts man I'm fucking pumped for their future!

February 17th 2014

now all we need is a world tour!

February 17th 2014

Dark dark bright is phenomenal. Still gotta jam this, you listen to laughing stock yet man?

February 17th 2014

One of my digs man! Other than the first track being kinda boron it's amazing.

February 17th 2014

Hmm.. The first song is one of my favorites on the album! Haha but I'm into that slow boring stuff so that's probably why. But I'm glad you liked it!

February 17th 2014

Yea bro new grass is amazing

Love new grass.

Green Baron

Runeii though

Wadlez
February 18th 2014

Seems you all dig Talk Talk, should check Bark Psychosis.

February 18th 2014

Awesome review mongi although I wouldn't use the phrase "a little iffy"
Otherwise pos'd OH WAIT YOU'RE CONTRIB, pos'd in spirit

InfamousGrouse
February 18th 2014

band will never be big enough for a world tour, nobody even knows who they are in Scotland

Digging: Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank

February 18th 2014

Gotta believe in the power of Sputnik

February 18th 2014

It's a sad reality, ey Grouse. I suppose they'll come to Australia the same time that Laura Stevenson will.

Yeah, but these dudes >>>

February 18th 2014

Probs yeah. L Dopa > any Fireworks song though.