Issues
Issues

by Dalton DuBois USER (17 Reviews)
February 16th, 2014 | 89 replies | 6,058 views

Release Date: 02/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The effort of attempting to get over the loss of the most important person in his life, personified in a mix of catchy post-hardcore and RnB.

Tyler Carter’s had quite the history, nearly leaving the music industry twice; the first time near the end of high school when the love of his life and music partner Rachel Reese was killed in a car accident, and the second time when he left Woe Is Me. He lost himself and had no clue how to go about regaining his internal monologue. However with Issues debut album, he seems to have taken that step forward and confronted the pain in his past full swing. This album is the most personal and well crafted piece of musical work that Tyler Carter has drafted in his entire career.

This band succeeds for three major reasons; vocal hooks, solid production and how every aspect of the music compliments each other. Tyler Carter has never sounded this good in the clean vocal department, delivering memorable hook after hook. He occasionally throws in a small rap passage and even a scream here and there to keep his performance from growing stale. His falsetto has also notably improved. Michael Bohn’s screams have improved vastly as well, his higher range no longer seems forced and his mid range has a much stronger foundation than previously shown. The two vocalists complement each other rather well, even if they sometimes sound a little awkward.

The lyricism jumps inconsistently from song to song. However in one way or another, every song is in some way, shape or form covering Tyler’s past. Lyrically the best songs on the album are “Life of a Nine” and “Tears on the Runway Pt. 2.”

“I guess if you're in love with the streets,
then you'll die in the sheets,
with the coke on your chest and his lips on your cheek.“ (Life of a Nine)

The passage above refers to Tyler attempting to reach an old friend who lost herself in drug use and is living off the avails of prostitution. The style is more often than not straight to the point, with the occasional use of metaphors in some songs to portray ideals. This blunt style fits with the music and with the attitude that Tyler had in mind for the album to begin with.

The musicality of this album can be described in three words; Compact, atmospheric, simple. You’re not going to find any technical guitar picking here or bass slapping there. That wasn’t the purpose of the instrumentals to begin with. They all work together as one package to create the most effective and catchy sound for the listener. That doesn’t mean there aren’t some cool moments though. AJ is the only guitarist in the band and gives an energetic performance, laying down some catchy riffs and just keeping the mood up in general. The bass is unfortunately quite inaudible during the majority of the album and just seems to be there to give the guitar a little extra oomph, since it follows the guitar almost note for note. Arguably this is for the best due to the nature of this album. The drums follow suit as well, with some tights fills here and there. The electronics and turntables are more tastefully used than on the original “Black Diamond” EP, and serve as an effective backdrop to help insure that the instruments don’t sound stale. The turntables have more than well worked their way into Issues sound and doesn’t sound completely out of place and gimmicky like on their EP.

All in all, their debut album is a riveting success. Combining RnB and post-hardcore influences turned out to be a fantastic success for the band, and has lead to a catchy and memorable debut album.

The Best: "Tears on the Runway Pt. 2", "Sad Ghost", "The Settlement", "Life of a Nine", and "Disappear (Remember When)."

The Worst: "Mad At Myself."

Avril Lavigne Avril LavigneFraming Hanley The Sum of Who We Are
Capture the Crown Live LifeOlivier Deriviere Remember Me - Official Soundtrack
Brothers Grimm All Is WellGreen Day 21st Century Breakdown
2.8
good

Black Diamonds

February 16th 2014

My first review, hopefully it turned out well.

February 16th 2014

Thanks! What exactly do you disagree with?

Green Baron

Hi Snide

Digging: Rise Against - The Black Market

February 16th 2014

Hi Green. Didya miss me? I'm back and inspired to write reviews again.

Calc

11932 Comments

judging by the review this band should be called the tyler carter crew huh?

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

February 16th 2014

In all honesty Calc, it could be. The band is pretty centered around him. In my opinion that is by NO means a bad thing, in fact I think it's why this band's sound works so well.

February 16th 2014

Malenchanted I can respect that, however every song on here bar "Mad At Myself" (this song was just fucking annoying imo) really stands out in the vocal department. As for djenty chugging, sure, there's plenty of it, but there are plenty of cool riffs here. Especially since there's only one guitar "The Settlement" is a good example. The distorted riff right before the start of the chorus is pretty cool imo. Michael's a hit and miss for a lot of people, he just is a hit on my end though. He definitely has his technique nailed down.

February 16th 2014

somehow manages to be worse than the other review

February 16th 2014

Oh how I missed you Academy.

who are you

February 16th 2014

Just someone who finally decided to hop back on the ol' Sput machine and write reviews again.

February 16th 2014

thats always a good thing tbh

For sure, for sure.

February 16th 2014

Ouch man, a 1.5. I guess you really didn't like this.

February 16th 2014

It's just having the exact opposite effect on me, I've had "Tears on the Runway Pt. 2" on repeat for like a half an hour now.

Sweet it got approved!

Terrible review

Stop sucking Tyler's chode and write an actual review

Digging: Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pikapika Fantajin

February 16th 2014

"yeah i got halfway through and i was on a 2, then it just got more repetitive and started to annoy me even more, so yeah 1.5."

My thoughts exactly haha

February 16th 2014

Ouch man. Tyler's the main driving aspect of this band, so naturally he would be a main focus in this review.

February 16th 2014

I'll be sure to point that out in my review, how one dimensional this band is

Fuck Hooligans is ridiculously over the top but actually fun, where is that on this record?