I Killed The Prom Queen
Beloved

by RoundOnEndHiInMiddle USER (15 Reviews)
February 15th, 2014 | 54 replies

Release Date: 02/18/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One big breakdown-fest of nostalgic proportions.

If there was one thing I thought of when I heard that I Killed The Prom Queen was coming out of their hiatus, a move fueled by the addition of former The Red Shore vocalist Jamie Hope, it was nostalgia. In 2008, when they first when into hiatus, metalcore had made up most of my musical listening. But, like everyone, my music tastes changed in three years. Now, three years after reforming, I Killed The Prom Queen has made good on their promise of a mid-2000's metalcore recollection.

Is it original? Not in the slightest. Is it full of breakdowns? Certainly so. Is it good, solid fun? You bet it is.

Jamie Hope, who sounds a bit grating on the first couple of tracks, really smooths things out mid-way through the album, and does a decent job of being the new front-man. He's nothing to write home about, but that's not the point. I equate him to the musical version of a "game manager." He's a solid quarterback who doesn't do anything fantastic, but doesn't do that much wrong either, and lets his running back and defense win the game for him.

Who is the running back to Jamie Hope's quarterback? That is undoubtedly lead guitarist Jona Weinhofen. Jona, along with rhythm guitarist Kevin Cameron, play energized leads and melodic breaks throughout the album. They carry with them the mood of the album, which is the shining feature. They can play angry, sure, but it's their somberness heard on the album that really gets things interesting. The use of strings on songs like "Kjaerlighet" and "Brevity" add a really nifty layer to the songs, serving to further the atmosphere.

This album is full of breakdowns, which you undeniably know already. However, it is worth mentioning that most of them are not dull at all, and are very well placed. There is at least some attempt at adding substance to them, whether it's making them earth-movingly heavy like on "Meilor" and "The Beaten Path", or adding some quick, yet substantial licks to them.

The thing that holds the album back, though, is its lack of a stand-out track. The songs on the album are all solid, but it's missing that one, true highlight. Unfortunately, this results in some of the tracks bleeding together, which is detrimental in a genre that is criticized enough already for its lack of originality in the songwriting department. However, it is the albums nostalgic graces that make it deserve a listen. It's definitely a call-back to the metalcore of the mid-2000's, and it's not one to be missed if you're a fan of that era of the genre.

Where will I Killed The Prom Queen go from here? After the reminiscence wears off, will they improve on a solid release by distancing themselves from the rest of the pack? I certainly hope so, but I suppose that is a bridge we have yet to cross. For now, let us wallow in the nostalgia that I Killed The Prom Queen have provided on 2014's Beloved.

Del tha Funkee Homosapien I Wish My Brother George Was HereLantlos Melting Sun
DjRum MountainsCode Orange Cycles
Bob Marley and The Wailers Soul RevolutionAtmosphere Overcast! EP

titanslayer
February 14th 2014

"One big breakdown-fest of nostalgic proportions."
Sounds like a 2 at best

AdolfChrist
February 14th 2014

that is one of the worst album covers ive ever seen.

KriegdemKriege
February 15th 2014

"One big breakdown-fest of nostalgic proportions."

What?

Nikkolae

s'alright

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

Calc
February 15th 2014

good try on the summary but no...

i think i'll listen to a song or two from this now.

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

Calc
February 15th 2014

I'm not happy I did that...

Can't say I enjoyed this

would 2.3 if I could

Digging: The Brave Little Abacus - Masked Dancers

NocteDominum

would 2.3 if I could

I hear you buddy

Evreaia
February 15th 2014

I kinda liked that album with Butcher, nothing spectacular but nothing bad either.

Still wondering if this is worth to check out.

ASnideReturns

Pretty fun album.

Digging: Celldweller - End of an Empire (Chapter 01: Time)

February 15th 2014

Better than the new Issues at least

RoundOnEndHiInMiddle
February 15th 2014

Yeah, when half of your band is made up of ex-Woe, Is Me members, you're pretty much screwed.

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

Mabbitt
February 15th 2014

I love their older stuff, so hearing the first few singles from this was definitely awesome, but the full album is kinda disappointing. Halfway through, it all sort of sounds the same.

I feel like it was a mistake cutting Memento Vivere from the album, I think it would have helped a lot.

I'm just worried that they'll keep releasing albums and become just another modern metalcore band. I hate modern metalcore but I love the mid-2000s variety.

InFiction
February 15th 2014

Not a bad album. This is a pretty good review too. You're first para is pretty relatable - at least it is in my case. My only issue is you do use the word 'nostalgia' a bit too much. Otherwise, solid write-up.

RoundOnEndHiInMiddle
February 15th 2014

I edited out a few of those, I hope it looks better now. Thanks fiction!

BassDemon333
February 15th 2014

I don't get why they didn't give Jona his own song on this, they should take advantage of his clean vocals they are great.

Digging: Mudvayne - L.D. 50

NocteDominum
February 15th 2014

I don't understand the high ratings people are handing out for this. Am I missing something, or has everybody lowered their standards?

ASnideReturns

New Issues > This

adr
February 16th 2014

both are alright, but i like this a bit more

Digging: Nihilist - Nihilist 1987-1989

sspedding
February 16th 2014

a couple of decent tracks.