The Uniques
From The Dust

by jaffa calling USER (51 Reviews)
February 14th, 2014 | 10 replies

Review Summary: A very unique EP...

What does “unique” mean to you? Does it make you go wild, or does it make you shout out? To me, it makes me melt into the mud and grit. This unique EP, From The Dust, easily available on Bandcamp, showcases three men’s ability not only to craft catchy pop tunes, but flavor them with inaccessible themes.

An intriguing mixture of indie pop, progressive rock, as well as hints of math rock, The Uniques brought forth their first release to a decent amount of popularity (albeit only in their homeland of Slovakia). The Slovakian trio used said mixture along with classical orchestrations and synth beats akin to house music, most evident in Mud & Grit. Wild however, blends a progressive sound with synthpop melodies. That's the strongest point of From The Dust, the fact that most of the tracks have a rather varied sound that makes each track unique. One particular issue is while the EP is highly original in composition, it unfortunately drudges along and lacks of energy in some spots; these spots have the spirit, but clearly not the feeling. Dungeon and Webs continue onward in a more synthpop direction, and even has vague similarities to 1980s post-punk such as The Cure.

Amongst all the dreck found on Bandcamp arose this little gem, and while it’s not the greatest thing in the world, it surely is good enough for anyone to try, and is highly accessible to say the least. From The Dust shows potential that’d be expanded on in future releases, and hopefully, The Uniques (now known as Nvmeri) are here to stay for a long time.

The Enid SalomeThe Flaming Lips Imagene Peise: Atlas Eets Christmas
Mr. Bungle Mr. BungleA Slow Descent A Slow Descent
The Flaming Lips With A Little Help From My FwendsScott Walker and Sunn O))) Soused
recommended by reviewer
The Cure Disintegration

February 14th 2014

oh and by the way frip, they had a release under nvmeri last year, dunno what its like though. good review

Digging: All Human - Catholic Guilt or the Queerest of Thoughts

"Czech it"

oh so funny

itchybutthole

Writting is emproving. Congrats

itchybutthole
February 14th 2014

You made fun of me.posd no more

Azn.

nice summary...lol...

TheSpirit
February 15th 2014

"What does “unique” mean to you? Does it make you go wild, or does it make you shout out? To me, it makes me melt into the mud and grit."

You completely change what you're talking about here. First you ask what unique means to us, then you go on about stuff like shouting out? Those are two completely different things. Also I've never really found myself going crazy over the sheer uniqueness something has. This really just doesn't make much sense at all

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

February 15th 2014

he Is referencing the song tracks

marcosmce
February 26th 2014

nice review. so you listened to their new stuff? gonna check this out.

February 26th 2014

6 ratings

nice to see i got this some exposure by making you listen to and review it

SeedsofNone