Vintersorg
Visions From The Spiral Generator

by dUSK USER (19 Reviews)
April 8th, 2006 | 11 replies | 6,344 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Folk Metal is something I've become a fan on recently, and after a little reading around, I noticed that Vintersorg were rather highly praised. I also recalled seeing the man being highly regarded as one of metal's best vocalists. Visions From The Spiral Generator was the first of Vintersorg's work that I heard, and it remains the only one.

Upon my first listen, I was left feeling a little surprised, and possibly even slightly disappointed. It just didn't have any of the Folk elements I was expecting. Visions From The Spiral Generator is much more progressive, technical, and I'd even go as far to label it as Avant Garde (Black Metal influenced). It certainly wasn't what I was expecting, that's for sure.

That being said, I gave it another couple of listens, and I'm so glad I did. It really is an amazing album, although it took me a while before I really started to appreciate it. It should be noted that this is the first Vintersorg album to feature a real Drummer. A place filled by Asgeir Mickelson, from Borknagar & Spiral Architect, and he does a great job. His playing is tasteful, without being too insane, yet retaining the ability to knock out a great fill when needed.

Steve DiGiorgio (Death, etc) handles Bass duties on Visions From The Spiral
Generator
, and does a good job, as expected. Unfortunately, he can be a little hard to hear during some of the more intense passages, but shines when he can be heard well. E.S.P. Mirage, Spegelsfären and The Explorer are three of his standout tracks, with an emphasis on The Explorer.

Vintersorg and Mattias are responsible for everything else heard on the album, and I must say I'm very impressed by the duo. I can't distinguish between who is doing what on guitar, but it all sounds great, although it sounds kind of simple. The keyboards give off a spacey kind of sound throughout, reinforcing the subject matter of the of the lyrics, which have a theme of astronomy, science and philosophy.

As I expected, the vocals are the highlight of the album. Vintersorg's clean voice is incredible, and his more aggressive style's leave nothing to be desired either. Universums Dunkla Alfabet provides an excellent example of his vocals, featuring his harsh, stunted kind of growls, before switching to his more melodic, clean style. Keep your ears alert for the chorus to A Star Guided Coronation as well, as it'll be something that you'll be happy to have stuck in your head for days afterwards.

Pros
- Impeccable songwriting
- Incredibly vocal work

Cons
- None

Overall, this is a superb release from the Swedish "duo", Vintersorg. I've read reviews with people stating that it is too weird/experimental etc, but that is far from the truth. Granted, it takes more than one listen to really catch your attention, but it more than makes up for that when it eventually does. I recommend this to any fan of Vintersorg, Arcturus or any other Avant Garde-ish band.

Minor Details

The Red Paintings Destroy The RobotsHilltop Hoods The Hard Road
Agalloch Of Stone, Wind And PillorThe Amenta Occasus

nick962
April 8th 2006

This sounds like somthing that I will absolutely adore. I will check it out immediately.

sgrevs
April 8th 2006

A very interesting description...sounds like something I might like. I'll try check it out.

Tyler
April 8th 2006

I love this album, it's so awesome. Steve DiGiorgio's basswork is top notch as always and Vintersorgs voice never ceases to amaze.

nick962
April 8th 2006

I downloaded a few songs from "The Focusing Blur" and "Till Fjalls" but couldn't find anything from this album; it's interesting to say the least. However, not what I had expected (somthing along the lines of Agalloch), but fairly good otherwise, some very interesting peices. How is this CD compared with The Focusing Blur and Till Fjalls?

the2stranger
April 8th 2006

I have Odemarkens Son and that's an awesome album, I have been meaning to check this out.

great review!

dUSK
April 8th 2006

[QUOTE=nick962]However, not what I had expected (somthing along the lines of Agalloch)[/QUOTE]

Meh, I thought I did a decent enough job of saying not to expect that in the first couple of paragraphs. Oh well.

You can listen to Spegelsfären on their myspace if you like.

Det_Nosnip
April 8th 2006

Vinter's early albums were folk...Till Fjalls is an incredible record. Although I personally prefer that part of his sound, his proggier stuff is definitely cool as well.

Nepenthe
April 8th 2006

Good review. You should really check out The Focusing Blur, it's Visions x10.

Txus
April 8th 2006

Really good review man, I love this album but I think The Focusing Blur is 1000 times better, but Vintersorg is the man so everything he does is great.

lanchege
June 4th 2007

This is such a good album, Vintersorg is an excellent vocalist. Nice review too, you do the album justice.

Detritivore
July 14th 2012

The distribution of the rating should be higher, this is a great album in every way. I think the vocals are not the best thing of this record, the diverse structure of the songs, without falling in the typical prog wankery, the use of mellotrons and hammonds with blackmetal riffs, and the fresh sound of each song, make this album an entertaining choice for every fan of metal (not only for folk and prog listeners).