Slayer
Reign in Blood

1.5
very poor

by rock4Him USER (3 Reviews)
February 13th, 2014 | 190 replies

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Pure vileness. Probably the most disturbing, valueless album ever recorded.

Filled with hatred and a fascination with satan, Slayer has recorded music that is at the absolute most offensive end of the musical spectrum. It's weird that although society has deteriorated since then, 1986 was undoubtedly the most depraved year for music, with countless albums expressing filth, drug abuse and sexuality. Maybe the descent of society had more to do with popular music than we give it credit for. I never would have believed it before, in fact I'd have dismissed the notion as laughable superstition but I think this album has awakened me to the fact that there are in fact darker forces at work and they're manifesting themselves in what we as a society consider popular music.

I wanted to go into this with an open mind. I consider myself a fan of some of the heavier bands on the spectrum (Norma Jean, As Cities Burn, etc.) and so i didn't try to look at this album at face value. I'd heard all the stories of how it was supposedly the most evil album of all time but I treated these statements as just hyperbole. Anyway, if I could find musical value in this, I felt like I could take something of value away from the listening experience. Not the case. The guitars flail around like a dying horse and it's one of the more disturbing sounds I've ever heard. The vocals sound like a man possessed and the singer really does seem like darker forces have taken over his life, glorifying nazism, satan, rape, murder and the use of drugs.

The one shining bright spot in this hellish miasma of an album is the incredible drum work. I've never heard anyone play with this level of speed and virtuosity. If only his talents could be used for something of value. As it is, it's just talent wasted on track after track of pure darkness and filth. I realize that this is regarded as one of the best metal albums of all time but I can't recommend it to anyone who holds any kind of moral values. If you want to listen to this kind of music I recommend the just as heavy but much more positive Norma Jean or The Chariot.

4.4

Jom
February 12th 2014

This is a promising gimmick. I'll allow it, even though I know who it is.

m/ for satan

Digging: Penfold - Amateurs and Professionals

February 12th 2014

"expressing filth, drug abuse and sexuality"

these are my three favorite things in life honestly

bach

Necrophobic is m/

February 12th 2014

"I consider myself a fan of some of the heavier bands on the spectrum (Norma Jean, As Cities Burn, etc.)"

Lol

Pos

February 12th 2014

"track after track of pure darkness and filth."

wait this is a bad thing?

Xed
February 12th 2014

"Slayer has recorded music that is at the absolute most offensive end of the musical spectrum"

Seriously, have you even heard Whitehouse?

Is the "Him" in your username Jesus? (:

It's capitalized!

February 12th 2014

"1986 was undoubtedly the most depraved year for music"

What are you basing this on? Give us some examples.

February 12th 2014

Don't let Satan serve your soul.

bach

MONARCH TO THE KINGDOM OF THE DEEEAAD

FearThyEvil
February 12th 2014

lol at the people taking this seriously.

February 12th 2014

Yes. It's called the internet.

Ryus

oh lord

MO

20648 Comments

"I consider myself a fan of some of the heavier bands on the spectrum (Norma Jean, As Cities Burn, etc.) "

fucking lol

anyways nice gimmick troll lets see how long this lasts

February 12th 2014

i dont think anyones taking this seriously but its still funny to point out shit he wrote

Ryus
February 12th 2014

"The guitars flail around like a dying horse"

February 12th 2014

Pretty sure it's all serious.