Prawn / Joie de Vivre
Split

by Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (71 Reviews)
February 12th, 2014 | 34 replies | 2,159 views

Release Date: 02/11/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'm waiting. I haven't waited long enough.

Although Joie De Vivre and Prawn share a record label in Topshelf Records and even belong to the same arbitrary genre of “emo”, these two bands are quite different in the way they approach their music. When it comes to Joie De Vivre (which is French for Cheerful Enjoyment of Life, ironically enough) listeners are treated with short, focused songs filled to the brim with twinkly guitar lines and melancholy lyrics. As for the New Jersey based Prawn, there seems to be more of a focus on the instrumental process, as their songs are longer and more experimental in nature, often perfectly blending post-rock aspects with traditional emo tendencies. But despite the differences to be found between the two bands, they seem to complement each other perfectly on this five track Split EP.

Listeners are first greeted with the Joie De Vivre side of the split, which consists of three songs all three minutes or less. While there are only seven minutes to be found on this side of the split, there is not a lack of memorable moments. Be it the roaring distorted guitar to end “Good Morning Mr. Franklin” or the final moments of “Tenstopet”, in which a trumpet plays out softly over trademarked twinkling guitar lines and minimalistic drumming, songs capture listeners and keep them hooked throughout its entirety. The songs flow into one another seamlessly, without blending together, each song somehow simultaneously being uniquely itself and part of the whole.

After a short seven minutes Prawn graces the split with “Why You Always Leave A Note”, a song that throws in nearly everything but the kitchen sink: call and response vocals, beautiful strings, reverbed guitar, dramatic pauses and even an Arrested Development reference thrown in for good measure. While only having two tracks, Prawn displays their prowess in writing relatively loud and chaotic emo music, with each track slipping in and out of typical structures and tropes of their genre. The album closer “Fracture” has an almost airy mood created by the instrumentation before lead singer Tony Clark quietly sings “I’m begging but I’m not broke / I lost you so long ago / I will wait here” pulling listeners right back into the melancholy that is Prawn.

One would find it hard to believe that within a mere five songs so much substance can be found, but both Prawn and Joie de Vivre manage to pack more into five tracks than most bands can do in a full length album. Although both bands released new music in 2012, this refreshing split shows why both of these bands are headlining the Emo Revival.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsSeahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism Only
Sleep Weather Two Wheels SpinningWe Are Scientists TV en Français
William Fitzsimmons LionsMy Epic Behold

February 12th 2014

I'm a contributor now! lol

But it's been awhile since i've written reviews, so there's bound to be some awkward phrasing or typos. I'd appreciate if you could help me out with those. : )

Also I hate writing conclusions

spookynewghostfriend

( :

February 12th 2014

The beginning of the third paragraph has one of the longest sentences I've read in a while. The conclusion isn't bad at all though! It's short and quick to the point. Overall very nice job, I'm probably gonna get my first review as a contrib done today too.

Omaha
February 12th 2014

I've def had some longer sentences than that =]

My earlier reviews, man. I'd write a sentence four lines long and think that was alright.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

February 12th 2014

My English teacher one time had a contest to see who could write the longest complete and correct sentence. Funniest thing ever.

hello fellow contributor

Digging: The Who - Tommy

YourDarkAffected
February 12th 2014

hey, if it's grammatically correct and all the parts of the sentence are necessary, I say to hell with length concerns!!

Digging: My Brightest Diamond - None More Than You

Omaha
February 12th 2014

For real, though, you contributors are killing it. Keep up the good work.

February 12th 2014

Thanks everybody. I do find myself writing some rather long sentences sometimes, but usually they seem to work.

And hey Atari. Long time no see

19453 Comments

Sup man you think I'd like this? Also, that sentence is fine it's not even that long tbh

February 12th 2014

I was not saying it was a bad thing! Haha I just picked that out cause I couldn't find anything else to disagree with!

nylertickel2
February 12th 2014

I've been waiting for this to come out for a while, can't wait to give it a spin after work

Right on man

now I don't have to review this lol

MusicTalent

Good fettucine

February 12th 2014

@atari i don't know, i didn't think you were a pretty big fan of emo music.

@trebor sweet, i was hoping i wasn't stepping on your toes by reviewing this. I don't know if you get
first dibs on all music like this or not lol

19453 Comments

It's not my favorite genre, but I like it. I'll give it a shot man

HenchmanOfSanta
February 12th 2014

Been meaning to check out both of these bands. I'm guessing it doesn't hurt to start here?

February 12th 2014

"Five songs usually isn’t enough to be considered a quality release, especially when the total length of this record hovers around 16 minutes."

I don't really understand this statement

February 12th 2014

That was something i was struggling with. I was trying to say that usually it's hard to deem something so short (something that's only 16 minutes) to be a great release, but this one is. I don't know if that clears it up at all or not.

February 12th 2014

yeah I get what you're saying, I just don't really get how length matters when determining quality