Seven Mary Three
American Standard

by BigHans USER (108 Reviews)
February 12th, 2014 | 40 replies | 861 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: TOO HEAVY TOO LIGHT TOO BLACK OR TOO WHITE TOO WRONG OR TOO RIGHT, DAY AFTER NIGHT

My formative years happened in the 90’s, and I am astutely aware I place a higher than deserved reverence on the mid-decade post-grunge/alt rock scene. Objectively speaking, once true grunge (at least in terms of being a pop culture force) disappeared the second Cobain decided to load his 12-gauge, the middle part of the 90s was absolutely loaded with radio heavy bands all ferociously sucking from the same watered down tit. Most of the bands saturating the radio airwaves (when radio still mattered) during this time had one or two decent songs off their debut album, then proceeded to release intensely atrocious sh*t that quickly annihilated this new post-grunge obsession, giving way to the even more deplorable, yet ironically awesome, nu metal. Even though it absolutely should, it simply doesn’t matter, because I love this sh*t. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Seven Mary Three are a microcosm of the era. The majority of their records suck so intensely hard they now deservedly revel in formidable obscurity despite being massive from 1995-1996. Despite the onslaught of unlistenable drivel emanating from their discography, their debut, “American Standard,” pretty much rules. The pillars are of course the enormous, riff heavy, insanely catchy ‘Cumbersome,” which is a top 5 song of the genre, and the ominous, melodic “Water’s Edge,” which was almost as big and almost as good. The rest of the album is formulaic yet above average post grunge/alt with a few real gems thrown in, like the hook laden “My, My” and the so-sappy-its-awesome anti-bullying ballad “Lame.” Despite their obvious shortcomings, Seven Mary Three should at least be given credit for not sucking as hard as the majority of their brethren, as well as penning a song that destroys as much as “Cumbersome.” If you’re searching for a microcosm of this era, you could do worse.

The Hold Steady Teeth DreamsPaw Dragline
Drive-by Truckers English OceansRanger Knights of Darkness
Grim Reaper Rock You To HellMachine Head Machine Fucking Head Live

Needeed a review hard.

menawati
February 12th 2014

"radio heavy bands all ferociously sucking from the same watered down tit"

pos for poetry

Digging: Disconnect - Planned Obsolescence

haha thanks dude.

hey Foxxy jam this

hogan900
February 12th 2014

I'll throw you a pos as well. Just because the summary was in caps.

And because the review makes me want to check this out.

February 12th 2014

thanks dude, just jam the first two songs for sure.

hogan900
February 12th 2014

I'll do it in a bit! Actually quite interested in this.

spookynewghostfriend
February 12th 2014

even more deplorably, yet ironically awesome, nu metal

deplorabel or move the coma

NodScene23
February 12th 2014

Haha nice Hans, this album has solid replay value and has some well put together tracks. SMT sound like they listened to a lot of "Ten" era Pearl Jam in making this album but fortunately, it comes across earnestly with only a couple mishaps.

February 12th 2014

fixed Ghost, thanks for pointing that out.

Thats a pretty good description there NodScene

intotheshit
February 12th 2014

I love Cumbersome, but the vox in water's edge get me every time.

sup Pit.

MusicTalent

Mary is a nice name

intotheshit
February 12th 2014

Fuckin bitches and makin DAT green, nigga.

Stay up playa

KjSwantko
February 12th 2014

Sup Hans. Great choice of review bro; used to jam this one hard when I was a youngen. "Water's Edge" was probably my main track off this.

ExcentrifugalForz

Seven Mary Three
Sponge
Days of the New.

Might be the same band.

Digging: Renaissance - Grandine il Vento

KjSwantko
February 12th 2014

There's definite similarities but yeah they're not all that identical. DotN in particular.

NodScene23
February 12th 2014

Sponge is way more jangly than Seven Mary Three. I could never mistake the two.

omnipanzer
February 13th 2014

" the middle part of the 90s was absolutely loaded with radio heavy bands all ferociously sucking from the same watered down tit."

I just came a little, in the pants.

Digging: The Ettes - Shake the Dust