Shackleton
Freezing Opening Thawing

by TMobotron CONTRIBUTOR (25 Reviews)
February 12th, 2014 | 32 replies

Release Date: 01/20/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Impressing Surpassing Perfecting

Freezing Opening Thawing is the latest 12” release from the legendary and ever-surprising Shackleton, whose silence in 2013 was apparently due to a harnessing of his creative energy to build this lesson in controlled chaos. Stuffed to the brim with bombastic, layered melodies and rhythmic complexities, the 3-track EP is a pure shot of adrenaline right out of the gates. Rather than creating density with the lingering drones of the producer’s more tribal, ritualistic output from the past, the staccato nature of the psychedelic synth-work only plays more into the chaotic, polyrhythmic aspect of the percussion. The focus is often drawn towards a central, stripped down synth-line that stands out among the surrounding pandemonium, but never hangs around long enough to overstay its welcome.

The opener and title track capitalizes most on the ideas at play here. Building from start to finish and covering more ground than should be possible in its duration, it’s an 11-minute high-speed journey full of twists, turns, surprises, and returns to old motifs forgotten among the fray. It sets a colossal precedent for what can be accomplished under Shackleton’s controlled precision, which never falters through the rest of the EP. “White Flower with Silvery Eye” has a much more focused narrative, with a vocal sample that weaves in and out among the cascading basslines and synth leads that bounce all over the place, both melodically and physically, dancing around the wide stereophonics with an upbeat exuberance and charm. Closer “Silver Keys” is the closest Shackleton comes to the dark omininity that much of his work is known for. Though it doesn’t distance itself much from the patterns of the surrounding tracks, there’s an omnipresent, somber gloom in the air, but not one thick enough to block out the shimmering of the colorful refractions of light that cut through the air, and Shackleton never reigns in the pistoning force of the percussive current that drives Freezing Opening Thawing.

Shackleton is arguably one of those producers whose output should never be passed up on, but Freezing Opening Thawing deserves special mention. In addition to being some of the best work from the producer’s extensive and impressive catalog, its brighter nature will appeal to many who don’t relish in his trademark darkness. It may be early in 2014, but it’s already easy to envision Shackleton rightfully placed among the year’s best.

Millie and Andrea Drop The VowelsVoices From The Lake Voices From The Lake
Depth Connection Fever DreamsFatima Al Qadiri Asiatisch
Strict Face Fountains/Highbury SkylineA/T/O/S A/T/O/S

February 11th 2014

My favorite of the year so far.

"Freezing Opening Thawing"

Eloriaz

Woot! ^_^

BTW, congrats on the contrib ;)

Digging: Simian Mobile Disco - Whorl

February 11th 2014

sweet review! Just a bit of constructive criticism: You might want to see if you can split that first sentence into two as it's a little wordy and has a lot of prepositions. And does your summary purposefully not have commas?

February 11th 2014

Thanks dude, I'll see about that first sentence. And yes to your second question, it's supposed to be
mirroring the EP title.

EDIT: Thanks Eloriaz

February 12th 2014

oh wow, didn't even catch that haha. Nvm, carry on.

February 12th 2014

No prob! Legitimate concern otherwise lol, and I always appreciate constructive criticism.

February 12th 2014

sure thing! I'll have to check this out. I'm not too versed in dubstep (apart from Burial, which I suppose is considered dubstep).

February 12th 2014

The dubstep tag for Shackleton was already pretty loose, but this pretty much has nothing to do with the genre. Check the track I added to my first post, it's like half the EP and should give you a good idea.

February 12th 2014

Yeah, this is really good so far. Those vocal sound bites at 2:00 remind me of Street Fighter. Really this whole track could fit into an arcade game (and I mean that in the best way).

February 12th 2014

Haha yeah can definitely see that. FIGHT!

February 12th 2014

I'd say get that Music For The Quiet Hour/The Drawbar Organ EPs comp because it's recent and a lot of material, but definitely check out Soundboy's Nuts Get Ground Up Proper and Death Is Not Final. Don't expect those to sound much like this though. Really don't think you can go wrong with his discog.

Deviant.

Sup contrib

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

February 12th 2014

"White Flower and Silvery Eye" has me enamored.

February 12th 2014

Sup Dev! Thought you might stop by. White Flower is marginally my least fav here, but I still love it.

Omaha
February 12th 2014

Matt I fucking love that avatar

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

If Matt is YourDarkAffected then I back that statement 100%

ShitsofRain

loving these new contributors

Digging: Anthony Shakir - Frictionalism 1994-2009

Haha thanks guys

Typhoner
February 12th 2014

Great to see this being reviewed. It's a great release (surprise surprise)

This is a bit of a follow up to The Drawbar Organ, so that's definitely recommended. And otherwise: get the Skull Disco comps, especially the first one (in the db under Appleblim and Shackleton).

Digging: Banks - Goddess

MaskAtTheMasquerade
February 12th 2014

hot damn! time to get mah shack on