Crydebris
The Severing

by wacknizzle USER (13 Reviews)
February 11th, 2014 | 44 replies | 1,714 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Crydebris from the U.K was one of the most original bands to come out of metalcore in general; combining twisting angular riffs of dissonant metalcore with the softness and beauty of post-rock into an excellent package that delivers excitement and beauty in heavy doses. From the get-go of the self-titled track ‘The Severing’ we are introduced quickly of what is to come, through a barrage of a fast dissonant riffs and churning rhythms which later bleed into some amazing melodic post-rock sections with soaring and tasteful clean vocals. What makes this album so delicious is how fluently the music comes across, it seems to come so easy to the musicians in this band, none of the music sounds forced one bit, it all comes natural to the dynamic quartet. Another one of the highlights to the music is the clean vocals that tend to shine through during the epic post-rock sections that come brilliantly after meaty barrages of metalcore. They aren’t typical whiney metalcore vocals, they are beautiful soaring vocals that fly alongside the accompanying instrumentation perfectly. The final highlight to this album is the epic ‘Mononoke Picture’ that comes just before the final exiting track. The song begins with some beautiful and delicate delayed guitar work before technical riffing enters the picture and throws you through a flurry of mathcore guitar work and intricate and delicate distorted guitar melodies. The mid section features brilliant vocal and guitar melodies that tie the song together fantastically and pack tons of emotion before it ends in an absolute epic bang.

To put it simply, this ep/album/albumette is absolutely fantastic. The only single downfall to the album is its abrupt shortness, being a mere 25 minutes. But the bright side to that is the amazing listenability this album has. You can put it on repeat time and time again with out getting tired of it simply because of how fresh, tasteful, and honest the music is. These British lads put their all into making The Severing and it is truly a underrated and overlooked gem of the trve metalcore genre.

Love Sex Machine Love Sex Machine.Crrust Pain Is A Mere Sensation
Harlots BetrayerDestroyer Destroyer Littered With Arrows
Imaad Wasif Strange HexesmewithoutYou A to B: Life
4.2

February 10th 2014

Haven't reviewed in forever so I threw this together quick. This has needed a review badly for some time and I've been meaning to do it. So here ya go sput, check this album out and fucking enjoy

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine

FearThyEvil
February 10th 2014

Good review, Wack. Only criticism is the overuse of the word epic in the first paragraph. I absolutely love this ep. Shame it's the only thing these guys put out.

spookynewghostfriend
February 10th 2014

"he only single downfall to the album is it’s abrupt shortness being merely 5 minutes under the half-minute mark"

wut

February 10th 2014

Fix'd @Fear, thanks. Yeah sucks they never released more material, this album rules so hard despite its shortness.

You forgot the 'T' spooks, but yeah I changed the sentence a bit

YakNips
February 10th 2014

Ill have to check this out

Digging: Hit the Pigeon Boy! - It's a Pretty Dark Place to Leave a Piece of Light

February 10th 2014

Sweet, I think you'll love it @Yak. Def got some epic post rock to it that I know you'll love. And it's nice and riffy and screamy

LordePots

Short and sweet pos

From the get-go of the beginning self-titled track ‘The Severing’ we are introduced quickly of what is to come, through a barrage of a fast dissonant riffs and churning rhythms which latter bleeds into some amazing melodic post-rock sections with soaring and tasteful clean vocals.

this sentence is kind of awkward tho, "from the get-go of the beginning" is redundant, the comma after 'what is to come' is unnecessary and interrupts the flow. "which latter bleeds" should be "which latter bleed". The thing just kind of runs on you could probably refine it!

But that is all I noticed! Nice review

February 10th 2014

Sweet, thanks. I'll edit it in a bit

LordePots
February 10th 2014

swag yourself the fuck out

mindleviticus

ReAnimator
February 10th 2014

Nailed the recommended albums, that specific album by Devil Sold His Soul was the first other band I could think of that resembled these guys. I'm a little surprised you didn't mention Rinoa, though, seeing as some members of Crydebris went on to form that (also fantastic) band

Digging: Monuments - The Amanuensis

February 10th 2014

Did some editing, should read a bit better now.

Yeah, this desperately needed a review. I'm glad you appreciate it @mindlevictus.

Also, added Rinoa to the recommended section. Can't believe I forgot that. Thanks for the heads up @ReAnimator.

Ecnalzen
February 10th 2014

Sounds awesome. Will have to check this out.

Nice, it's quite a hit

Ecnalzen
February 10th 2014

Ever since I heard A Hope For Home's Realis, I have been wanting to hear more bands that combine post rock with metalcore and/or post hardcore. This sounds like it will fit nicely.

Have to give Rinoa a listen, too.

ffs

oh yeah this album

menawati
February 11th 2014

not my thing but pos for the good review

Digging: Synaesthesia (UK) - Synaesthesia

TheMoreira
February 11th 2014

Pos'd. Good review wack, will certainly listen to this soon.

Digging: Vinterbris - Solace

February 11th 2014

Sweet, I'm glad people are checking this out. Definitely worth it

pos'd

just heard The Severing and I really enjoyed it.

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine