Polygons
Rifts

good

by fromtheinside USER (130 Reviews)
February 6th, 2014 | 9 replies

Release Date: 01/31/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: lets just see where this goes...

3.3

I’m really careful with this whole Meshuggah-lovecore scene, I opened my heart once already to The Contortionist only to have them eat it in front of me in a slow boring fashion. Suffice it to say I’m less than impressed with this new wave of metal, albeit when something spectacular does surface its usually worth it; Introducing Polygons. Now, I’m not saying this band is breaking down any barriers with their debut EP Rifts but they’re certainly wielding the tools, boasting the astounding capabilities of twisting melodies and riding the fuck out of a rhythm, the band avoid the “djent” plague and rely on technicality plus sheer fun to lay the framework impressive piece of work – however unoriginal it sometimes sounds. In fact the band combat these familiar moments with beautiful ambiance passages, it in turn helps distinguish the band from several of their peers – or should I say forefathers? – and even though this technique isn’t thatoriginal either, I do recall mentioning something about fun earlier, so there’s that.

Track one “The Flood’s” first thirty seconds will most likely be the deciding factor on whether you’re going to be able to tolerate Rift, as it packs the whole bag of Polygons in its brief intro, stomaching that though and you’re in for a treat. The bliss of a track that is “Fracture” follows and is absolutely this bands “Flourish”, displaying dazzling guitar work that executes precision from the start shredding mindlessly before Garrett Jones brings one hell of a melody to cement this songs goosebump factor. “Fracture” is what I’m talking about folks, when I say “That’s what I’m talking about” it’s this, this has been that. The final three songs essentially take what “Fracture” was and flesh it out by providing ample time for each member to showcase their abilities. Jordan Goldston is getting my very serious nod of approval as the man has quite the pair of talented hands and feet as best featured on “Celestial Imbalance” and is only boosted by the albums impeccable production. The title track highlights this best incorporating bits of electronic while also finding a perfect balance between the vocals and axemen, within its rather short five and half minute length it finds time to crunch, jun and then ending with that patented space-core crescendo. And that atmosphere is Polygons backbone giving them their weight and a somewhat, if not defining, certainly grandiose sound.

The bands tag line is Confusing people in the pit with odd time signatures since 2011! and I like that because it embraces that “fun” I was talking about, but also sums up Rift perfectly. It’s rough and very deliberate with its approach to this all too familiar sound, but it’s with that bravery or naiveté, take your pick, that Polygons succeeds more often than not – and that, to me, is surprising. Yes there are several times I’ve asked myself, “where have I heard this before” but that’s right before I say, “Whoa” so, again, take your pick. We could have something here people, then again, haven’t we all heard that before?

Norma Jean WrongdoersThe Contortionist Language

"Fracture" is something...

Digging: Devin Townsend Project - Z2

Metalstyles
February 6th 2014

I can appreciate the technicality here and that this is better than the output of most bands of this ilk (mostly because of some sweet ambient moments), but this style doesn't seem to do much for me. Just sounds too sterile.

Mongi123
February 6th 2014

Nice review bro. First track is promising, but the guitar is a bit repetitive. I'm gonna finish in a
little bit.

Oh didn't realize they were death metal too. Still can't get into that style and it was very
repetitive but they're pretty technical so they have potential. Pretty
cool ambient sections.

February 6th 2014

i never thought the technicality would be what turned people off, but i can see that being an issue now. i'm just fascinated by how they mold this insane riffing or solo into a soaring hook like its nothing. that being said fracture is one of my favorite songs this year

Mongi123
February 6th 2014

Their music kinda reminded me of Dream Theater at parts and I can see the technicality as off putting
to people. Like, it sounds like he's playing the guitar as if to see "look how awesome I am at guitar"
rather than just playing for the music. It bothered me a little but at the same time they show
potential like I said.

Wadlez

Porygons

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

NEITHER

GRiTS, my life be like oooooooaaahhhh

artiswar
February 7th 2014

If you seriously give this a 3, please name 5 recent bands in the genre that are much better, thanks.

Apollo