Megadeth
The World Needs a Hero

by Heavy Metal James USER (1 Reviews)
April 7th, 2006 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

In a dvd for megadeth this album was hailed as their return to thrash with big guitars. thundering bass and earth shaking double bass drumming of their early releases. Its not quite that, but its not as poppy as Risk etc

The album gets well underway with Disconnect. a catchy riff, daves snarling vocals (something he does to convey just how pissed off he is lol) theres a good simple solo and thumping double bass from degrasso so a good start.

Politics continue to be a theme of interest for mustaine as 2nd track The World Needs A Hero demonstrates, influenced apparently by a newspaper article he read. Personally the voice overs in this irritate me.

Moto Psyhco is easily the catchiest song on the album, hence why it was released as a single and had a video, but good rock nevertheless! A good song to drive too!

1000 times goodbye is yes, a break up song, some people think its garbage, personally I thought it was good, with the phone calls adding a different dimension.

Buring Bridges demonstrates Mustaines riffs that usually squeal and pierce the ears heh but also has some old school elements with fast drumming and dual harmonies towards the end!

Considering this was a return to thrash, such a melodic, heartfelt song, Promises seems an odd appearance, couldnt really see that On KIMBABIG! Despite this an excellent song IMHO as Im in the same situation as the people in the lyrics!

Dread and the Fugitive Mind is one of the better songs, with Dave as scornful as ever! Catchy again, great riffs and some excellent drumming mid way through using both pedals!

Silent Scorn immediately after such a full tilt song adds contrast, with a minor key acoustic riff, some solos and a trumpet along with a military feel beat means a good, albeit short instrumental.

Never been a fan of songs being rehashed e.g Metallicas Unforgiven One and Two. This sequel to Hanger 18 is good but nowhere near the masterpiece of the original!!! Again another catchy riff!

Overall a good album, no way their best, but good. Not quite the return expected but ya could do a lot worse!

OK be nice as this is my 1st review but I really would appreciate comments and questions!

Rockin as always! m/

2.8
good
battleinthenorth (2)
A poor album that thankfully almost redeems itself with a few decent tracks....

Mike Stagno EMERITUS (3)

met65 (4)

Mister Mop (3)

10th man down

Nice job.

I haven't heard this CD yet, might have to check it out.

MetalOz
April 8th 2006

This is a decent return to his thrash roots but the production isn't as good as on its poppy predeccesors. I know it has gotten mixed reviews but I like it and I'm glad Dave headed back in the right direction...

Good job on the review

April 8th 2006

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them! metaloz what didnt you like about the production?

spoon_of_grimbo
April 8th 2006

my least favourite megadeth album definitely... even risk just overshadows this. anyone notice that "when" is almost a carbon copy of diamond head's "am i evil" at least in terms of composition and riffs?

Neoteric
April 8th 2006

VH1: Behind the Music? Got it.

Dave asked Diamond Head if he could use the riffs so it's on purpose.

Finally, excellent review but it'd be great if you concentrated less on the tracks and more on the actual album.
This Message Edited On 04.08.06

spoon_of_grimbo
April 8th 2006

so its basically a cover with permission, but with different lyrics?

Apocalyptic Raids

yeah.

average album though. Return To Hangar is the only track I really like.

April 9th 2006

Cathedral do you mean concentrate on the albums themes and meanings etc rather than a break down of each track?

pattern_recognition
April 9th 2006

Dread And The Fugitive Mind is alright, but 1000 Times Goodbye is utterly terrible.
Still better than Risk, although Risk is trashed a bit too much.

May 10th 2006

Yeah Risk is trashed a lot but that was a major change in direction for the band

May 11th 2006

I think that this album is pretty good but I always forget that I own it some times. The only songs I don't dig is Losing My Senses and Burning Bridges. Good review, it was short but the track-info was pretty good.

Mister Mop
May 11th 2006

nice review.....i like mine better though
na just kidding, yours rocks!

Mister Mop
May 11th 2006

i would have described the songs more though

May 11th 2006

I guess I agree with you, but I think it is easier to relate the songs to the info if you have heard the songs before.

May 11th 2006

Yeah i didnt wanna get bogged down in describing each song though, as thats not what a review is about, is it??! lol

May 13th 2006

You can choose between t-b-t or an overall review or just check the guidelines for writing a review. Or just by looking at other reviews and ¨copy¨ them if I say so.This Message Edited On 06.08.06