Olafur Arnalds
Another Happy Day

by Jacob R. STAFF
February 2nd, 2014 | 13 replies | 2,520 views

Review Summary: Disquiet.

There's something uniquely affecting about film scores. They’re one form of media interpreting another, so they reside in a distinct sort of dualistic existence. It’s a category of music that captures the many moments the film reel contributes, and yet, that very film reel can paint a new purpose onto its score, an exact context that makes it so much more appreciable. In essence, that’s how I judge a good film score: does it emotionally drag me in its clutches with its accompanying movie's aid, and furthermore, can it be as poignant on its own? Can I hear the music from this movie without being overtly familiar with its cinematic origins- and still be able to imagine the things the filmmaker wants me to? The images my mind conjures will be indistinct, trapped in a constricting and pervasive fog, but if this music is done right I’ll at least feel something along the lines what the film’s originator originally set out for me to feel.

I approached Icelandic composer Olafur Arnalds’ Another Happy Day score with these makeshift standards in mind. After all, it’s interesting to think about music made for film in this way, by yanking it from the backdrop and planting it in the spotlight. While the only knowledge I have about this movie is the titles of these songs, they provide a vital context. While songs like “The Wait,” “Alice Enters” and “Everything Must Change” come across as being about turmoils between loved ones, I could be entirely wrong. The beautiful thing is that it’s a little irrelevant, because these are the images that Arnalds’ score provokes. In each silence, I don’t hear anything resembling peace- instead, the unnerving pauses in conversation between grieving siblings. I hear the things nobody really wants to say, but that with time, can define someone’s existence.

This score is all about emotional disquiet, and Arnalds highlights that with a wide breadth of instrumentation. Some songs sport mournful violins, while others showcase maudlin pianowork- and yet, no matter which way the Icelandic composer decides to drive his point home, it comes across loud and clear. It’s bleak music for the anxious, which, for better or worse, means that this collection of songs can be a bit bare on their own. I have no doubts that Another Better Day utilizes these tunes well as a means to a tumultuous end, but as an end themselves? Well, they're a bit too unobtrusive for their own good- as many a film score is wont to be. But even though Arnalds’ score for Another Happy Day is better at propping up its accompanying film instead of standing on its own two feet, it reminds me of what music brings to cinema. It gives voice to that which can’t be stated; it tends to the ideas the film reel can't cultivate on its own.

Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsEvery Time I Die From Parts Unknown
Baths Ocean DeathClosure in Moscow Pink Lemonade
SOHN TremorsSZA Z
3.1
good
Eli EMERITUS (2.5)
Olafur Arnalds escapes the weight of darkness, only to completely forget who he is....

Omaha
February 1st 2014

really this is pretty music

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

Crysis

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

Omaha
February 1st 2014

Same with everyone else in the world besides me, but

Crysis
February 1st 2014

I just feel like he hasn't realized a concept across an album so well before or since. "Near Light" was a truly fantastic track but the entirety of Living Room Songs wasn't nearly as well-written. If you watch the scene in Werkmeister Harmonies where And They Have Escaped the Weight of Darkness got its name you will realize that the realization of concept on the album is simply brilliant.

Love American?

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

Jacquibim
February 1st 2014

Aww man I thought this guy had released something new for a second now I'm sad.

Digging: We Will Fail - Verstrung

February 1st 2014

whoa need to check this. I loved Eulogy For Evolution.

February 1st 2014

And you're a truly remarkable writer js

Sanders
February 2nd 2014

"Haven't really been moved by anything he's done since And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness."

agreed

IsomerDuck
February 2nd 2014

Really well constructed review.

mindleviticus
February 2nd 2014

I think this guy is rly boring

For Now I am Winter was pretty good though

February 2nd 2014

I thing you're rly boring

TheDarkestNight
February 3rd 2014

Eulogy for Evolution slays the fuck out of this, but Lynn's Theme is a pretty good track. Nice review.