Periphery
Clear

good

by HeavyReviews USER (3 Reviews)
February 1st, 2014 | 18 replies | 936 views

Release Date: 01/28/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's not that the songs are bad. The music sounds very well produced and methodical. But the originallity seen in previous releases is nowhere to be found, and It stayed back there with the 2012 LP.

What happens when each member of the band writes their own song? Something great? Not necessarily. Something varied? Absolutely.

Periphery are a "prog driven" band. Althought the term is often seen with distrust by avid metal fans, this band deserves to be trusted. After all, they brought their own version of the style onto the table, and became, in little less than three years, one of the most known bands of the subgenre.

With "clear" the idea was to create a variety album and they almost acomplished that desired goal, because something was off. That something seemed to be the message they transmited to the listeners. It was more or less the same they sent with "periphery II".

The composition by their bass player was by far the best song on this EP: a four minute deathcore inspired song. It has an incredibly tasty breakdown, and it left me gasping for air. I usually despise "breakdowns" for their predictablity, yet here, I found something eerie and wonderful. The polyrthms the song is built on makes unpredictability its surname.

The rest of the music on this EP, as mentioned earlier on, is nothing worth of extraordinary mention: it's decent and enjoyable, for the most part.

With that being said, I eagerly wait for the next full-lenght release and I cross my fingers strongly. Hopefully, it will be something original.

good
NarlusKing123 (3)
An average release coming from an experienced band...

Daniel Davis (3.5)
Clear ends up sounding more like a mixtape than a proper EP, but Periphery are having as much fun as...

Alex Beebe (2.5)
Like most experiments of its ilk, the Clear EP is too hit-or-miss to be ultimately satisfying to eve...

YourDarkAffected
February 1st 2014

Only one review a day sir.

MeatSalad

Wow ur reviews r so h34vy xdd

Insurrection
February 1st 2014

so much wrong with this sentence

its a cool song but its literally just meshuggah worship

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

climactic
February 1st 2014

that breakdown in nollys song oh maaaan

CutMan
February 1st 2014

Yeah, uh, I can't take this review seriously with a statement like that.

intotheshit
February 1st 2014

Stop using the word "tasty" to describe riffs. You're not Jack Black, and it sounds pathetic even coming from him.

February 1st 2014

Sure, it was a messhugah rip off song. But breakdowns are often associated with core music.
Yes, now I know I shouldn t spam the site with my shit xd

Kalopsia

intothepwnd

LordePots
February 1st 2014

pretty sure thats the cover of kanye's latest album

Digging: Alt-J - This Is All Yours

SitarHero

"You're not Jack Black"

No bro, it's Grohl/Satan.

Check this riff it's fucking tasty!

CutMan
February 2nd 2014

Nothing wrong with describing a riff as tasty.

SitarHero
February 2nd 2014

Intro riff to Pale Aura IS fucking tasty. Damn.

February 2nd 2014

starhero, stop the snobish lingo. That wasn't constructive criticism, in my opinion.

Calc
February 2nd 2014

"Stop using the word "tasty" to describe riffs."

honestly anyone who uses the word tasty to describe anything but food should be slapped, and even describing food with the word is kind of dumb sounding.

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

Delicious

Digging: Tim Hecker - Haunt Me, Haunt Me Do It Again

Calc
February 2nd 2014

lol you wouldn't know how to act around a black woman lakes

Tasty criticism