Grand Magus
Triumph and Power

by HeavyReviews USER (4 Reviews)
February 1st, 2014 | 10 replies

Release Date: 02/04/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In conclusion, grand magus delivers what the swedes have been delivering for the past twenty years, ever since at the gates revolutionized heavy metal: fearless, terrific music.

I will confess this to you: I am obsessed by Swedish heavy metal. Yes, I know you don't care about this, but still, I had to clear this out of the way before starting the tackle to the music itself.

It has been with great delight that I've been listening to this trio of musicians ever since I first heard about them, two years ago. In their music I found something I rarely encounter these days, when browsing through new and upcoming acts: truthfulness. Yes, it may seem weird to apply such a term to this, but I really find music to be a message, and that same message has to be true. It can't betray the listener, and believe me, these people don’t do that.

Instead they deliver with force, and with passion for their craft. Triumph and Power is absolutely what it states. It is triumph: the songs sound triumphant, and it is power, the music has that “oomph”, that edge to it. Sure, you're not going to find any new, avant-garde experimental original stuff in here. It is more of the same, but it doesn't really matter when that same is "the goods".

The album opens with a strong song: "On hooves of Gold" is emotional and harmonic, it sets the tone for the rest of the eight tracks: a typical heavy metal intro - the acoustic guitars, then the chaos. It is one of my favorites within the record.
From "Steel vs Steel" to dominator, Grand Magus doesn't give any room for you to breathe. They just strike you with powerful, yet simple, riffs, accompanied by some juicy "iron maiden" style choruses.

"Arv" comes as the sixth track, a two minute interlude. It lets you digest what you just consumed pretty well. From then on it is is just fast tempo driven songs with aggressive vocals that will leave you on edge and will make you remember those distant, eloquent eighties.

"The Hammer Will Bite", closes the fairly lengthy affair. It is to be considered as the best tune on the record. A seven minute epic with a very good chorus. You will sing it, I am sure of it.